Knights Of The Old Republic Retrospective.

Only two thoughts:
1. I don't care for youtube amateur vids. Go pro, LEARN TO WRITE or go home.
2. The publisher betrayed the audience by going MMO and expects we'll be happy to be milked. Sorry, no bonus.

What has "learning to write" something to do with making a video ?

You find and read what's important in a minute instead of wasting hours on watching vids.

You find and read what's important in a minute instead of wasting hours on watching vids.

you know, I agree. Not saying it's the "pro" thing to do, but it's definitely what I prefer. I specially hate when I'm looking for, say, how to disable an option in Windows. I google for it, click on first link which happens to be a video of a guy doing it on screen. So, instead of finding a page that says "go to Control Panel -> Printers -> Advanced -> Turn off feature" I have to watch a video for 3 minutes.

Besides, text you can scan over, skip parts that are not interesting for you (like, say, a review with a section for multiplayer, which I couldn't care less about) and go to the meaty parts. In a video you don't know that, you have to watch the whole thing.

Totally agree with reading vs videos.....I mean, who the heck wants to watch someone else play a game, lol. I swear it's the strangest thing.....I remember having to wait back in the 70's to play games with other kids, everyone taking turns and such, and watching someone else play or talk about a game makes me relive that all over again. I'll take reading every time.

Totally agree with reading vs videos…..I mean, who the heck wants to watch someone else play a game, lol. I swear it's the strangest thing…..I remember having to wait back in the 70's to play games with other kids, everyone taking turns and such, and watching someone else play or talk about a game makes me relive that all over again. I'll take reading every time.

Well, watching someone play does have its uses. Paradox strategy games are so complex that it's really beneficial for new players to watch someone play the first hour or so. I recently did with Victoria 2, and it helped a lot to get me on the way.

Well, watching someone play does have its uses. Paradox strategy games are so complex that it's really beneficial for new players to watch someone play the first hour or so. I recently did with Victoria 2, and it helped a lot to get me on the way.

Yes, but that's viable only because they don't ship the games with printed handbooks, I assume ?

With big, printged handbooks it would be easier, because you clould do some research in the book for needed information meanwhile playing ...

So, someone goes to the trouble of recording his thougths about a video game - and people bitch about it - as if they were somehow forced to watch it.

Sounds like human beings being human ;)

Besides, text you can scan over, skip parts that are not interesting for you (like, say, a review with a section for multiplayer, which I couldn't care less about) and go to the meaty parts. In a video you don't know that, you have to watch the whole thing.
With a text you need to give it your full attention though. With a video you can have it on in the backgrund while doing something else, which is how I do most of my "watching". And I've found that doing this actually helps me focus on my main task, as it keeps my mind from wandering.

I found your video to be pretty good. You could use a bit more "energy" in your voice, but the information was good, and it was about the right length for a video of this type. You might also want to raise the volume a tad bit as well, as it was a bit lower than the norm. Not a big issue, but for someone who jump between videos, it's a tad bit annoying to have to change the system volume between every video.

Yes, but that's viable only because they don't ship the games with printed handbooks, I assume ?

With big, printged handbooks it would be easier, because you clould do some research in the book for needed information meanwhile playing …

Sure, you can spend 20 hours reading a bible-sized manual of the game, or spend an hour watching a video.
They do come with a manual, PDF manual, it basically explains the interface, the game concepts, etc. But when the game starts and you have no idea what to do, that's when the video helps. With so many elements in Paradox's strategy games, the learning curve is very tough. Even for someone like me who's played several of their games for hundreds of hours each, I learned a lot more just watching a video of someone playing for an hour than from reading.

Sure, you can spend 20 hours reading a bible-sized manual of the game, or spend an hour watching a video.

I did so - and this, and your wording - are a hint towards what to expect from future generations : Maybe reading will even die out. Or at least be limited to the absolute necessary minimum.

Our world will become even more "iconized", maybe.

Yes, the human race will die as we invent new and smarter ways to spread information.

The problem is not this - the problem is to keep it.

How much information got lost because it was written not on stone ?
We simply can't tell, because it was too much.

How much information has been misinterpreted because of the written word?

A video is much easier to process - and the actual meaning much clearer because the buffer between man and the audience is not subject to the flawed nature of written language.

I think the choice of a proper medium (text, audio, video etc.) depends on what information actually should be communicated.

In videos you can show (surprise!) moved pictures, which can hardly be described as effective in text form. In the context of games that's extremely useful for showing actual gameplay "feeling". That's hardly possible with text alone.

Another great advantage of videos (or animations with spoken text) is that the receiver can use two channels for information processing (visual and autitory), which makes it much more efficient. Both channels are each limited in capacity, but can be used simultaneously, so you can receive and process more information in less time. That's a generally accepted model in learning theory.

One disadvantage videos have in comparison to text, is that the information receiver may not control its speed. Also it's often difficult to jump to other positions (depending on the user interface). When I don't understand a concept while reading a text, I may just reread the appropriate text parts, in my own selected speed. That's a lot more difficult in videos.

And there are some pragamatic things to be considered… most folks can't watch videos at work, but can read a text. ;)

How much information has been misinterpreted because of the written word?

A video is much easier to process - and the actual meaning much clearer because the buffer between man and the audience is not subject to the flawed nature of written language.

Then, please, tell me how you are going to play a video after WWIII (which hopefully will never be) ?

A long thread complaining about the flaws of communicating via video… that doesn't actually talk about the video. Ahahahaha… :p

Then, please, tell me how you are going to play a video after WWIII (which hopefully will never be) ?

Oh, so we should stop progress and stick to books - because WWIII might happen, and we might actually survive it - and it might actually destroy the entire Internet server structure irrevocably?

At risk of being on-topic, while the game was, back in the day, as big for me as it was for the guy on Youtube (and I assume OP) I can't agree that its morality was competent when it comes to greyness or that the companions were all that great. I still appreciate the Mandalorian and Jolee Bindo but Carth, Mission and Juhani were annoying back then and appear even more formulaic (and token in the case of Juhani) these days. To put it in another way, those components may seem good when viewed without broader RPG experience but when compared to the actual greats they come noticeably short.

Back
Top Bottom