Can anyone give a good recommendation for Call of Clithu

curiously undead

tuned to a different freq
I've never read and H.P. Lovecraft, but i do like some horror games. Usually the action adventure ones though not the shooters. So is anyone here fond of the game. The few comments i've noticed in the past haven't made to certain its worth even the $10 it is on sale at gogamer presently.

He heh.. Am I the only one who thinks that "Call of Clithu..." sounds like something rather nasty - and I'm not thinking about monsters or other horrors here? Ehem... anyway, I know which game you mean :)

For the most part I loved that game (played it on Xbox). It's actually more of an action adventure than a shooter, but towards the end the shooter part becomes more apparent. For the first 1/3 (or so) of the game you don't even have a weapon! There is tons of atmosphere in this game, but also a few frustrating/annoying moments. At $10 it sounds like a *great* deal to me though!

I have it. Haven't finished it, but still intend to. I'd say it's definitely worth $10, even if you only get as far as I did. :)

Much like movie adaptations of Lovecraft's work, games never really manage to live up to the potential that's there.
I haven't played the Dark Corners Of The Earth game, but from the reviews and player commentary that I've read, it seems to be good on atmosphere but wretched on actual gameplay. As in there's tons of retry attempts at getting past certain levels or areas, which kind of kills the immersion no matter how good the setting is.

For other Lovecraft games, the demo for Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened was extremely promising. It's an adventure game, putting Holmes in a Lovecraftian setting, and from the demo, seemed quite a successful excercise.

You mean "Call of Cthulhu" of course. I was very disappointed personally because I was expecting so much more. I'm also mad that I paid $39.99 for it because I purchased it soon after release.

It has some fun moments in it, just don't go in with high expectations.

thanks for the info guys. i'll probably order it tommorow we shall see. i'm still trying to procure a 3._ processor on ebay for under 50 to no avail. if i'm not able to get one before monday then it won't help me with bioshock and i'll add this game to my shelf with dozens of games to someday play.

2.4 ghz on a socket 478 with 2 gigs of ram and a 7800gs.

yeah but is fine, enough:) the video card has made the most difference as it plays modern games better than it played modern games four years ago. the 5200 (which i had for a year and half) was seriously the worst card ever and the 1gig of ram i had was irrelevant for most games.

For other Lovecraft games, the demo for Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened was extremely promising. It's an adventure game, putting Holmes in a Lovecraftian setting, and from the demo, seemed quite a successful excercise.

I'm playing that one now, and it's not bad. The writing and voice acting are miles better than most games (although don't expect the BBC), the puzzles are generally speaking pretty creative and fun, and the story is a nice enough pastiche of Holmes and Lovecraft.

Just don't expect too much there either, and you'll be fine. Remember it's a nailed-to-the-rails linear hyper-traditional point-and-click adventure with a very low graphic design and programming budget, and you won't be disappointed. If you're actually a fan of traditional adventure game silliness (along the lines of combining an anvil, a trolley table, a piece of twine, and a macramé pot holder to solve a puzzle), you're in for a treat.

Back
Top Bottom