Survivalism: Are you prepared?

Doomsday Prep or Crossed Fingers?

• Youre just paranoid. The govt would take care of any problem sufficiently

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Prepare a few things, but there's no need to get too serious about it.

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Be ready to hunker down and board up the windows. Lock and load

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom
Original Sin Donor
You knew it was coming. Well, I know it's coming, so Ive been getting prepared.
I have a generator now, so at least if it all comes down I can play Baldurs Gate.

But seriously….

Last year, southern California lost power for like 20 hours. In that time, we had no idea how long it was going to be out. Days? Weeks?

Meanwhile, were being told to boil our water before consumption. We had barely any food in the house. Our vehicles were low on gas. We had barely any cash, and all the local stores were shut down anyway. Think about that a minute. No food, no money (as there are no atms functional), and boil water with… wait there's no power.

As night fell, things outside started to get loud, as some people were just going nuts and seeing it as party time. You could hear fireworks going off… or were there gunshots, was that a gunshot? It was approaching rioting, as vandals started breaking shit and some stores were being broken into. Thankfully, the next morning we awoke to the telltale 12:00 flashing on our clocks.

It was a little scary, and a wake up call for us. We were not prepared, at all. While I don't see myself hunkered down in a bunker, waiting for Armageddon, I have certainly started preparing for the eventuality that we get hit with a survival situation. I have 20 gallons of water, food, fuel, a generator, batteries, and a bunch of basic stuff stockpiled just in case.

I'm taking it to the next level today, going to go get a hand-crank radio and first aid supplies. Actually thinking about getting another firearm, maybe a shotgun or rifle. Right now I only have a 9mm pistol, I suppose that's adequate for home protection. Or is it?
People get crazy when theyre desperate, who knows what could happen.

Am I being too paranoid? Are you prepared? Should I shoot Cleve an email?

Last edited:
I was out of power for 12 days when a hurricane hit my city good. I like to bike and camp so it really didn't bother me at all except for the lack of warm water to shower with. We had water pressure even without power. I have tons of neat camping gear which helped a ton.

Living in So Cal, really one should be prepared for an emergency and no power and water in case of an earthquake. So yeah, I've got all the emergency rations and stuff ready just in case. Not an emergency generator though. That's a bit overkill I think.

We keep joking about buying an old nuclear bunker and getting all Falloutified for when the supply chain keeping us all going collapses. As time goes on, I'm thinking it's turning into a better and better idea. Let's face it, if anything disrupts international trade chances are there won't be enough people who understand the stuff that's been outsourced to recreate local production.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to put on my tin foil hat. :p

Ha! 20 hrs I had my power go out for almost two weeks. Any sane gamer in there right mind should have a backup generator.

I should get working on that portable fusion generator now.:roll:

Last edited:
You missed the best option (the one Cleve chose :) ) Move to Australia!! :D

Its not the fact that power was out 20 hours, it was not knowing what was going on at all. There were no answers when ours did. For all we knew, our power plants could have been dust.

Camping gear is a good idea. It seems like hardcore survivalists just flee urban areas altogether and take a little vacation in the woods.

Being fully prepped for the (not really) impending apocalypse has the nice side effect of making you prepared for a variety of natural and man made disasters.

If preparing is the only you do in your spare time then you probably have issues. If making sure that you and yours are prepared for most likely (and even a few unlikely) situations is merely part of your overall plan for life then I think you are doing it right.

Back
Top Bottom