L.A. Noire

zahratustra

SasqWatch
Launch of the game was a while ago and I haven't seen any comments from RPGWatch members about it. Has anybody tried it yet?

Yeah, I tried it.

I like it as an immersive adventure game. It's more like an interactive movie where you "go through the motions" and let the experience take you in. The atmosphere is quite fantastic, really. Don't expect much in the way of meaningful gameplay and you won't be disappointed. Sure, there is some "detective" gameplay - and the illusion of you being the one doing the investigation is relatively convincing at first. But if you look behind the curtain, it's pretty obvious that it's not designed as a mental challenge - but as an "experience".

Certainly DON'T expect a gameplay layer ala GTA because it's got a city to roam free in. It's pretty much 100% linear and the exploration aspect is all but meaningless - except to soak up the atmosphere.

But what it does, it does well - and I recommend it on that basis.

thanks guys!

I was in that other thread. Ultimately after playing through it, I got bored. The main character does some things that seemingly come out of nowhere, really throwing you off the idea that you "are" him. And frankly it starts to get boring.

Some stupid things too, like mild spoiler:
There's one part where you need to search for a clue in a housing development under construction. The camera conveniently points you to where it is, but I didn't get that right away. So I spent half an hour searching all over this fairly large area and finally had to read an online clue. Turns out you are supposed to spot some crumbling masonry right near where you start. How the hell are you supposed to know that?

I'd say try it if you are interested. I'm sure LA Noire 2 or whatever will be better.

Well, I am "kinda" interested… I have finished first play through of Skyrim and want to wait for the release of CK before stating second one. And, since KoA: Reckoning will not be released before early February, I have a bit of a gap to fill :)

Look for it used. I didn't mean to sound too harsh against it.

It really is a worthwhile game to play. It's very well done, but maybe too long. Certainly very different from most games on the market.

Back
Top Bottom