Legend of Grimrock - Reviews @ RPS, TotalBiscuit, Elder Geek

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Rock, Paper, Shotgun has a Wot I Think for Grimrock and it seems they really enjoyed it. Looks like Almost Human might have an indie hit on their hands:
But overwhelmingly it’s a superb experience, characters levelling up at a perfect rate, agonising choices about which skill to improve becoming like knife wounds when you struggle to find the right type of weapon – the game is so cleverly sparing in its distribution of everything, so something as simple as finding a mace can feel like a mad victory. And talking of which, there are few games where I’ve felt so elated at figuring out a puzzle that I’ve punched my arms in the air and declared to the house, “I’m so brilliant at games!” Along with all this, it does a splendid job of creating a creepy atmosphere, and a deep sense of weirdness. Also, it understands the need to carry skulls.
There are also video reviews by TotalBiscuit and Elder Geek.
More information.

the game is so cleverly sparing in its distribution of everything, so something as simple as finding a mace can feel like a mad victory.

Yes! I love that in a game, when equipment is handled realistically and really makes both gameplay impact and a lasting impression. The diablo(and later wow) inspired glut of "loot" of the last decade or so, turns me off completely. Last game that did this right was Gothic 1 really, imo(*)

Also:
Also, it understands the need to carry skulls.
:lol:

(* Honorable mention is the Witcher 1, although it could have done with a bit of variety in some areas and a bit less in some others. Alas, player whining made them go way too much in the opposite direction for #2)

I'm pretty sure Diablo would be boring with this kind of loot system, though :)

Well, yeah sure if the genre does it for you it goes without saying that you would go for the whole package (My dalliance with it pretty much stopped with Diablo 1 really).

I just don't see why these features (like the loot overkill and any sort of character system being replaced with skill trees) have to be plastered over most recent RPG's
(i.e in different subgenres)...

I agree that in a traditional CRPG - loot should be something earned and it should be something special. Diablo loot systems should stay with Diablo games - or at least games where loot is the primary entertainment factor.

Well in my opinion, Diablo 1 did the loot just right - no leveled items, few item attributes, low frequency.
Also, Baldur's Gate 1. Getting that +2 sword was something.

I couldn't finish Torchlight because all that crap the game was throwing at me - I worked hard to ignore the most of it, but I was overloaded anyway (strangely, I couldn't find the mod for lowering the loot frequency and couldn't be bothered to code my own).

They are actually *very* different kinds of games. RPG can be an ambiguous label sometimes.

My favorite loot systems in modern crpgs were Gothic 1-3 and The Witcher 1. Significant weapon and armor upgrades should be an achievement.. not something that happens every 15-20 minutes.

I've cleared my calender for April 11th.

I felt The Witcher 2 did an admirable job of this as well. The Witcher definitely had a great pacing to loot though, and it made the narrative that much more important.

Back
Top Bottom