Divinity 2 Liked the demo but...

lostforever

SasqWatch
I have been playing the demo of this game and enjoying it very much so far. I am in the broken valley area and doing the quests around the barracks. I really like how you can do the quest in multiple different ways, they have interesting NPC and quest etc. Does this also hold up in the middle and late game as well? Some people here seems to suggest hack and slash for the second half of the game.

Combat seems decent although I have not got the hang of it yet. I like to play a mage but it looks, you spells miss when the target moves out of the way. Also I seems to run out of mana easily. Is this true of middle and late game as well?

I am in the UK and places like Play.com, Amazon and Game.co.uk does not have PC version of DKS in stock! Steam sells is for £20 but it seems expensive for an old game. Anyone have any ideas where I can get copy for less that £20 please?

"Old" ? I wouldn't call it "old".

It's $26 USD on sale on Steam at the moment - is it really that expensive in pounds? I wouldn't be surprised if it pops up on a daily deal, so I'd wait and see.

Brilliant game. The last 20%? of Div2 is a grind, unfortunately but then you have the expansion which is a genuine RPG.

The old game is no longer sold, AFAIK. Dragon Knight Saga is already the updated and heavily modified gold edition including the add-on. 20 bucks for 100 hours doesn't sound like that much.

The demo is no longer identical to the game. DKS changed quite a bit. Complete rebalancing, updated graphics, etc. The combat is now more like hack&slash in the lower difficulty levels. The devs did this on purpose to reach a certain rythm. So play on hard if you want a challenge. ;)

The add-on is even pure hack&slash on top of a great (if compact) RPG, but very well done. You know when you'll need your weapons and when you're safe.

Thanks for the quick replies guys :)

Alrik, I thought that DKS has been around for well over 6 months now? Normally "new" PC games sell for about £25 (thats what I paid for Witcher 2 on day 1) then in about 3/4 months time, prices drops to about £10 - £15 range here in UK. That's what I meant "expensive for an old game".

Dhruin, yes Steam is selling it for £20 and that's with 33% discount, so I doubt if they will reduce it even further. I am going to wait for couple of days to see if they drop the price or someone here know where I can get it for cheaper and they will buy it.

Gorath, I don't mind paying £20 for good game but I have spent lot of money on games recently so trying to save a bit :) I got the demo last week from the developer website. It even has button for the expansion but when you click on it you see an ad for it. So you reckon even this demo is outdated?

I haven't heard that they've updated the demo, so I suppose it's still for Divinity 2, not DKS. Of course I can't say for sure.

I am in the UK and places like Play.com, Amazon and Game.co.uk does not have PC version of DKS in stock! Steam sells is for £20 but it seems expensive for an old game. Anyone have any ideas where I can get copy for less that £20 please?

I don't know where you could get it for less than £20 but I can tell you that you can stop looking for the game at retail. There is no retail UK version of DKS unfortunately.

I don't know where you could get it for less than £20 but I can tell you that you can stop looking for the game at retail. There is no retail UK version of DKS unfortunately.

Ah I see. Oh well it has to be steam then! I will wait few days and see if it comes up on their sale :)

I really like how you can do the quest in multiple different ways, they have interesting NPC and quest etc. Does this also hold up in the middle and late game as well? Some people here seems to suggest hack and slash for the second half of the game.
The second half of Divinity II (or second third of DKS) contains optional areas which are almost pure hack´n´slash. Afaik, if you wanted to go through them in the original Div II you had to engage in quite a lot of h´n´s, but these areas were changed in DKS and majority of h´n´s in them can be easily bypassed.
And of course you can opt for not going through them at all.
The rest of the game is more evenly balanced between combat, questing and exploration and the expansion part contains proportionately fairly low amount of combat altogether - most of the time you´re running around town doing quests and looking for hidden stuff.

Combat seems decent although I have not got the hang of it yet. I like to play a mage but it looks, you spells miss when the target moves out of the way. Also I seems to run out of mana easily. Is this true of middle and late game as well?
Nope. I can only speak of DKS and there, at least on hard or nightmare, the beginning is quite difficult for every class and in some spots you´re likely to use archery even though it´s not a branch you want to develop, but the game has rather steep and long character/gear development curve which ensures that at the latest 1/3 into the game your character starts to kick asses seriously and never stops no matter what class you play, at least if you specialize sufficiently.

Thanks for the info DeepO. Looks like DKS is now a must buy. Too many games and too little time :lol:

This game gets seriously bogged down when you get 'Dragon Flight' or whatever it is, which is weird because as a cRPG freak, that sounds like the coolest thing ever. But it's a minor quibble; this is a pretty good game.

Hmm, I played the original and gave up somewhere close to the end because I couldn't handle the part where you have to take down citadels as a dragon anymore.

I was going to replay so that I'd be on a higher level with more resources at this point (took the first part too casually) but then saw DKS on sale somewhere for a very cheap price and thought : "What the heck, it has the expansion as well."

Now that I hear it was changed so much at the start, I'm not sure whether to be happy or sad about that. I didn't really find the game hack n slash, there were a lot of quests that were more about finding things and puzzling things out, and the part with the dragon is almost more strategic (with you own castle and all)...unless the combat taking down the citadels is the h'n s part. Whatever it is, I found those parts rather tedious...

So if there's now more H&S in general, I'm not going to be smiling.

I got the game from steam sale and playing it now. I am still in the starter area (broken valley). From what I see, the demo seem to have been updated to match the game since so far they are playing out exactly the same.

I have only put in about an hour or two into DKS and I seem to be enjoying this lot more than ME2 (i played for it about 10 hours). Good story, decent combat and good RPG system (lacking in ME2).

Back
Top Bottom