PC RPG Gaming - Taking the dive

D

Deleted User

Hello.

I now have a functioning laptop with a decent (integrated) graphics card and I'd like to start gaming on it. The question is, which games do I play? The only PC RPGs I've played are Diablo, Diablo 2 and a few other older games I don't remember.

Which RPG should I start with? I'm thinking about Gothic 1 but I heard the controls are a little awkward. Baldur's Gate is a thought and the enhanced edition might be perfect for me. Neverwinter Nights looks interesting but I know nothing about it. Some more modern ones looked interesting too, like Drakensang I think it's called?

I'm also interested in any RPGs I can play with a USB controller (my 360 controller should work, right?).

Any suggestions appreciated. Bonus points for games that I can play with a controller. Super extra bonus points for co-op games.

Thanks!

Which RPG should I start with? … Gothic 1…
Absolutely yes.

Baldur's Gate
Thumb up.

Neverwinter Nights
Who cares.

Drakensang
It's Christmas!

That's one to skip and three to install. Today, will you please? :)

P.S. Forget the controller for the time being, you're now on PC. First things first, slam the keyboard a bit so it doesn't go into insulted primadona mode, but be gentle with clicky clicky as you don't want to buy a new mouse every few weeks, right?

This is your Toshiba, right Fluent?

Yep, this is my Satellite. I did a little research on the integrated card and I see it can run a decent amount of games. There's even a demo of the card running Skyrim on low settings on Youtube, and it actually looks quite decent. So I'm excited about firing up some of these older games and hopefully being able to run them well.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I know nothing about Vampire the Masquerade but I will look into it.

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines (what a name!) was definitely a good one. Good music, too.

The 360 controller will work if it's not wireless. It just plugs right into any USB port. Windows will take it from there.

There are lots of RPGs that work well with a controller but they're all console ports, or at least made for both PC and console.

Borderlands is probably the champion co-op RPG but it's very much an RPG/Shooter hybrid. I can't think of any others, actually, though I'm sure there are some.

Let's see… The Witcher 1 should work fine. 2 may be too much for an integrated card but it might just barely work. Dragon Age: Origins was great. The whole Mass Effect series (though again that's getting a bit "shootery").

The Elder Scrolls is really good. Personally, I think the series has gotten better and better with each new game though a lot of folks around here like Morrowind the best. You might start with Morrowind then keep going from there. Or you could start with Skyrim then keep going backwards until you can't stand it anymore. You'll get a few spoilers that way but not all that many.

I only played Drakensang: River of Time. It was all right but I wouldn't bother with the "Phileasson's Secret" - not even if it's free.

Divinity 2: Developer's Cut might be a good one to play. That's more of an action RPG so you might be more comfortable with it after playing Diablo. (Though it has caused me to blush every time I loot a chest now. ;))

I'm a keyboard and mouse guy so I don't know about controller support, but I doubt any of the games you mentioned have it unless it was modded in.

I wouldn't skip NWN, it's a fun game and a great way to ease in to D&D system before you tackle the more hardcore infinity engine games. I'd also recommend NWN2 and expansions. The OC's weren't stellar but they were fun , imo. Also real time with pause system will give you time to break in your K&M skills. They don't have action combat though, you click on any enemy and let your character go to work and pause to choose abilities or spells. Coming from console games this may be a bit of a shock if your not used to it.

Also, the witcher 1 should be on your list and if you don't mind some strategy with your RPG then the king's bounty series is a must.

Not sure that your system can handle it but if it can, modded elder scrolls or fallouts will make you see those games in a whole new light.

I tried to point out games that were PC only as with your lower end system I doubt you will get a better experience on your pc than you would a console with cross platform games.

Enjoy!

I'm a mouse, keyboard guy as well, but if you don't mind going a bit retro, games like Sacred 1 Gold is excellent if you like Diablo type games and are using a laptop.

Anyway lots of good RPG's on GOG.com to choose from and most won't have any problem running on a laptop and are pretty cheap also.

I doubt the Witcher is going to run on integrated graphics. No way on Divinity 2. NWN1 probably. I'd say go for Baldurs myself.

I doubt the Witcher is going to run on integrated graphics. No way on Divinity 2. NWN1 probably. I'd say go for Baldurs myself.

I ran the witcher on my business laptop it's over a year old with amd vision integrated graphics.

Not sure what Fluent has for graphics but I'd guess its better than what I had.

I recommend Might and Magic 6/7 and either Gothic 1 or Gothic 2. (all available at GOG) I don't know of any controller that works with those games but if you're working with a laptop, why lug your controller around with you, the games I mentioned work fine just with the keyboard.

I just re-finished Might and Magic 7 last week. I had played it when it first came out in 98 I believe and the game still is totally playable. The only hesitancy I have with my recommendation is the ones you suggested in your post are all isometric where as Might and Magic and Gothic are 1st person and 3 person.

But the games I suggested are old and your laptop should have no problem running the games smoothly.

Didn't much care for Gothic 1. For low graphics requirements, a fun one to try is Divine Divinity. The Baldur's Gate series is quite enjoyable as well, but it's party-based and thus quite different from Diablo.

Hello.

Which RPG should I start with? I'm thinking about Gothic 1 but I heard the controls are a little awkward.

Thanks!

In my opinion best open world RPG of it's time, as for controls, once u learn them they are very useful , as the character does exactly what u want to (as in hit from right or from left, wile step up or back). i loved it and Gothic 2 also. In the second u have the option to use the old or the new "more modern they say", "nubs i say" controls.

Hope u will enjoy it, i know i did a few times i played it.

Gothic 1 is pure class. Just give it an hour or two to get used to the controls. After that, I'd go for BG1: EE if you have it, followed by BG2. If you haven't played any Infinity Engine games before, I'd probably also ask for some advice regarding class/party balance (or read up on it) as it's not exactly intuitive.

Whole gothic series is must play(except expansion for G3 and Arcania which is not made by PB).Take a look at King's bounty,also since you like aRPGs take a look at Titan quest,Torchlight 2 and Path of exile which is which enters open beta tomorrow.

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines (what a name!) was definitely a good one. Good music, too.
Needs a fan patch to be good though.

As for the games mentioned in your original post, Gothic 1 is really good but people who said that the controls were awkward did not lie. The controls are not bad, mind you, they just take more getting used to than they should have.

The infinity engine games are always a good bet. While I'm not a huge fan of Baldur's gate 1, I seem to be in the minority here. Most people will agree with me when I say that Baldur's Gate 2 is better though.

Neverwinter nights is bland, boring and tedious. If you play the main campaign. It seems like they actually tried to make a story so boring that people would talk about it for years and years to come. It manages to do so many simple mistakes that it almost becomes funny. There is plenty of good fan made content though.

Drakensang is a good one, but be warned that it can be a bit on the slow side. River of Time is a straight up improvement on the original. I really like both though, mainly for the character customization system.

Other games to consider:
Ultima 7, for its wonderful setting. Looks and plays a bit dated, but it is still an outstanding game.

Temple of Elemental evil, for its great tactical gameplay. Requires some familiarity with the D&D 3.X rule system, and it is also quite challenging.

Fallout 1 & 2 might also seem a bit dated, but it has a good rule system and a great setting.

NWN Hordes of the underdark and NWN2 Mask of the betrayer are both very good. The OC's and the other campaigns really aren't worth wasting time with though when there are so many other great games out there.

I would recommend F1/2 as well. Gothic 2 Gold is excellent. A lot of the greatest older CRPGs are probably best left until you get more aclimatised to PC platform. It is well worth making an effort though as there is enough older classics out there to almost last a lifetime.

There's some good recommendations here already, so I'll just add in my personal suggestions.

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines is definitely one of the best recent(ish) RPGs, and I say that as someone who hates vampire fiction, and should be fairly easy to get into.

The Infinity Engine games are good and easily available. I'd suggest starting with Baldurs Gate and moving on to Planescape Torment and Icewind Dale if it does anything for you. People praise BG2, which I personally think is an awful game, and if you've enjoyed more recent Bioware games it might be your thing.

It's a bit harder for people to get into, but Morrowind is still hard to beat when it comes to setting and atmosphere. Get the super huge graphics pack for it and you'll be set.

If you can handle older games, just scan through GoG's list of RPGs. The Fallouts are good, and Might and Magic 4/5 and onward are pretty easy to get into. Sacred and Divine Divinity are a bit more Diablo-like, but both are good fun.

I'm thinking about Gothic 1 but I heard the controls are a little awkward.

The controls are actually quite easy to learn, but unfortunately they're not intuitive. You'll need ca. 3 * 5 minutes to look the details up in JemyM's FAQ. After that it will take another 1 - 2 hours to get used to them.
Especially the first Gothic has simple game mechanics and an enormous depth thanks to the highly detailed world and memorable characters.
Reportedly it works well with old analog gamepads, like Gravis for example. You have to configure the gamepad via software though.

A gamepad compatible game which everybody likes is Divinity 2: DKS.

I had a really hard time with the controls for Gothic 1, and gave up after about an hour trying to figure it out.

Back
Top Bottom