Kenshi - A Squad-Based Strategy RPG

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Kenshi is a Squad-Based Strategy RPG from Lo-Fi Games. I overlooked the game for almost a whole year, but after trying the demo I had to spread the word.

Here is the latest video and some details.

Kenshi is a single player free-roaming Role Playing Game, with a Real-Time Strategy influence. Its squad-based, meaning you have a whole team of characters who can split up and go to different ends of the world. The game world is 400 square km of seamless terrain with a world map screen for fast-travel, Fallout style. You can play with one character, or with 50, and there are advantages to both. Combat is real-time and is based on swords and bows, action beat-em up style but with RPG stats influencing the outcome. No Magic. No fantasy cliches. Think of a combination of X-Com Apocalypse and Oblivion.
The developers also have news on a new update.

Here we go, my main focus for this update has been to fix the worst problems rather than adding new stuff.

The biggest fix was a big memory leak, which should fix, or at least reduce the dreaded "Super crash" that people were getting after long play sessions.

In the background Sam is working on the pathfinder overhaul that should fix all the movement/pathing related bugs, so hold off with any movement based bug reports until then. He should have that ready in about a month. Regular updates can still happen before then though.

More information.

I got this as part of an Indie package from Gamer's Gate about 18 months ago. Since then its been on Steam Early access. People who played it compare it to Mount and Blade. The last time I read up on the current state (which was granted a few months ago) people wrote that there wasn't much to do outside of fighting. I'm curious if things have changed much.

It's still at least a year away from being done but, if anything, there's even more combat now, though a lot of the mechanics for fights have been tweaked. You can still build little cities/trade hubs but, they require defending and with the boosted bandits, you'll have a lot of that to do.

Thanks for posting about Kenshi. I forgot I bought this one directly from the dev a long time ago when it was $10 or less. Lost the client and key when I got a new laptop. This post prompted me to dig up my old key, which also works on Steam. Now, I never have to worry about the key again, and I have a copy of Kenshi again. :)

Back
Top Bottom