Original Sin - Preview Roundup

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Here are some more previews for Divinity: Original Sin.

Co-Op video by unit lost.

RPGFan

Divinity: Original Sin is getting there. It's approaching the territory of the grand old CRPG adventures, but it has considerable distance yet to travel. That it's doing some of that journeying on Steam Early Access is probably for the best, as gamers can give the developers plenty of additional work. Thus far, the combat is sluggish and clumsy: spell targeting in particular needs adjustment to remove those instances of accidental self slaughter. Navigation, questing, and map markers need to be properly programmed, and the opening area needs considerable balance. When I gave up in frustration on the murder investigation and wandered out of town, I was beaten at every turn by enemy squadrons that discouraged exploration. Amid the admittedly disheartening flaws, there is a lovingly crafted world rich with detail and personality, but it will take time for it to come to light. For now, it glimmers.
PCGamer

There's no doubting it's an early game: you can't name your characters nor select their gender, loading takes ages, and it has crashed a few times. More damningly one save game loaded my group of characters into a city of unmoving NPCs. I was lucky enough to have a working quicksave, or I'd have had to restart. Clawing back hours of progress is that clammy fear that we all hold when playing games, and it intensifies when you're playing a huge RPG that can claim it warned you this could happen.
OnRPG (found through GameBanshee)

As you can see, I was more than a little impressed with Divinity: Original Sin. It looked good on paper, and the real thing was fantastic. Rarely am I able to read up on a game, be hyped about it, and then actually have my hype rewarded with a fun, playable game. Even though it's in early Alpha, there's still a great deal of enjoyment to be had. If you're interested in Divinity: Original Sin, look for it on Steam where it's available on the Early Access program for $40. I had a fantastic experience and would recommend it to anyone that has friends to play with. However, I cannot stress enough that the game is still in early Alpha, so please don't buy it expecting a full and complete game.
More information.

The RPGFAN preview reads like it was google translated. The author doesn't like turn-based combat either and didn't seem to read the game feature list before "buying" it.

I don't know, seems like more of a strategy game than RPG...at least by what I saw on the homepage

I don't know, seems like more of a strategy game than RPG…at least by what I saw on the homepage

If that's the impression their homepage gives then someone is doing a horrible job with It because that couldn't be further from the truth.

It's very much an RPG.

If that's the impression their homepage gives then someone is doing a horrible job with It because that couldn't be further from the truth.

It's very much an RPG.

Agreed. Only someone who is unfamiliar with RPGs in general or only played hack/slash games would classify D:OS as a strategy game.

I don't know, seems like more of a strategy game than RPG…at least by what I saw on the homepage

that would be saying all SSI's aren't RPGs(that means-curse of azure bonds series, gateway to savage frontier etc).

and also fallout games. which had action points, and turn based combat.

turn based combat is the thing. instead of being constantly over the edge in real time cobat, you can sit back and actually calculate your moves. and even drink coffee between rounds. much better use of the other hand than ASDW.

P.s.
if they could make combat as intense as FO, that would be something.

Back
Top Bottom