RPGWatch Forums

RPGWatch Forums (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/index.php)
-   Divinity 2 (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Factions? spoiler possible. (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10001)

Acleacius February 28th, 2010 06:43

Factions? spoiler possible.

Is there any consequence to siding with one or the other, or is it just as simple as siding with some becasue they give you a discount? Am I forgetting some lore or missing something, it's been years since I played DD. Just starting out, in the Broken Valley atm, there seem to be couple factions so far Champions and New Order, maybe more.

I can't seem to tell much difference at this point, normally (unless there is a plot twist) you can get at least a sense if an organization is neutral, good or evil. It's helps normally give some depth to choices siding with one or the other in quests. I even tried reading parts of guides which didn't talk about quests or storyline with out any luck.

Thanks.

crpgnut February 28th, 2010 22:41

No relevance at all, really. Richard is pompous and a dirtbag, but other than that, he's neither better nor worse than the New Order. There is a better way to deal with each group, but I'll let you make those decisions. Neither will affect your gameplay much beyond the couple quests with those parties involved.

crpgnut February 28th, 2010 22:42

If you're just maximizing rewards and want to know which path is best, let me know. I'll tell you exactly how to handle those quests for the most rewards/xp.

Wulf February 28th, 2010 22:57

Yep, no relevance, i was also curious about this at first, when doing the 'Daylight robbery' quest i was surprised there was the option to help the bandits (or kill them) because just prior to doing the quest i had been killing swarms of bandits! - In my curiosity i opted to help them and was rewarded to 'come up and visit our camp sometime' - so i did and was allowed in! - and it lead to the further 'Dark cave (Jagon)' quest. Cross-faction discipline seems 'slack' in some quests yet fits perfectly with the storyline progress.

Acleacius March 1st, 2010 01:55

Ok, thanks crpgnut and Wulf :)

That works out fine, too bad though a little faction competition is usually a good way to add a more diversity.

Sure crpgnut if you have a tip and it's not too much trouble you could spoiler mark it or PM which ever is more convenient, thanks. :)

crpgnut March 1st, 2010 15:09

Ok, Spoilers for how to eek out the most experience from a few of the earlier quests:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Final tip-Don't worry about opening locked chests in the early game. You'll get more useful stuff later, because chests level with your character. You can open the pots, barrels, crates, etc. because that stuff only increases moderately, if at all. I generally kill everything I can before accepting any quests, except for the goblin quest from Richard. Why? You get more xp for kills at lower levels, while quest rewards get better as you level. It's a no-brainer. Save before turning in quests. If you don't like the rewards, reload. The rewards will all be of the same basic level, but some charms/enchantments are much better than others. If you're a spell slinger, you want magic damage enchants and charms. Blue lettering is charms and pink/red lettering is enchants. Try to get a weapon with one of each and you'll see your spells become devastating.

Maylander March 1st, 2010 15:54

Most rewards aren't worth it though. Only a few quests and chests are reliable in terms of dropping goods tuff.

The only place I've found to be worth it personally is:
Spoiler – Best loot

crpgnut March 1st, 2010 21:15

True, I've never been able to reach the character that you're refering to, due to my start-over-itis, but I'd add the quest reward from the guy who needs to understand an ancient language. That should be vague enough so that only those who've done the quest will know who I'm talking about. His item is always legendary and generally one of the best for the mid-levels that you can find. I do find, that in general, the rewards are slightly better if you wait. It's nothing outstanding though. I've played 6 characters through the broken valley area and the two that were picky about when they grabbed chests seem to have better items. I'm a big reload till I get it right, treasure chest opener though. If it's not your cup of tea, pass.

Acleacius March 2nd, 2010 02:21

Do you have to
Spoiler

I am really learning to hate these randomization games. I will have to tough out D3 unless they come up with a better system (which wouldn't be hard) since Leon Boyarsky is on the team.

Maylander March 3rd, 2010 10:10

Third? He doesn't have a third.
1. Collect hearts.
2. Either help him against the guys at the farm, or don't (in which case you can help them instead). Helping the other guys will obviously stop the heart quest, so only do that once you've cleared the map of goblins.

He's also involved in a quest with a deserter at the inn, but you obtain that by mind reading the shady guy above the fireplace, not from Richard.

Acleacius March 3rd, 2010 10:24

Thanks Maylander. :)

What do you make of this, it's seems to be 3 times the xp, plus a free stat point? I haven't had a chance to try it but found it while hunting for something else which was bugged for me.

Spoiler

Maylander March 4th, 2010 14:52

You can either do Feast or Famine or New Order. You can't do both. You get the New Order quest by rejecting the Feast quest.