RPGWatch Forums

RPGWatch Forums (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Comments (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Grotesque Tactics - German Release, English Date (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10029)

Dhruin March 3rd, 2010 12:00

Grotesque Tactics - German Release, English Date

It looks like Silent Dreams has released Grotesque Tactics: Evil Heroes in German, and the English version is dated for April.
This thread has the full details (scroll down) - apparently the game was released on February 22nd without enough fanfare to reach our ears. The game is 20 Euro and there is a (German) demo available. As an interesting side detail, apparently Grotesque Tactics was programmed by Carsten Edenfeld, a former lead from Piranha Bytes on the Gothic series. There's also a v.1.0.0.3 patch available.
If you've forgotten the details, Grotesque Tactics is a humorous, turn-based strat-RPG - here's a new trailer. The project has started to help fund further development on their more ambitious RPG project.
For English readers, this thread says they should have the localisation done for April, as mentioned.
Thanks, Omega!
More information.

GhanBuriGhan March 3rd, 2010 12:00

I hope the ingame text is better edited than their newsposts :rolleyes:
I guess I should try the demo if I have some time.

Alrik Fassbauer March 3rd, 2010 12:24

Too bad it's only online.

I'd buy it at retail for that price right away just to support them. ;)

Dhruin March 3rd, 2010 12:30

If it's as much to support them, why not do it anyway?

screeg March 3rd, 2010 14:13

If it's true turn-based, I'd like to hear more about it from the German contingent.

Gorath March 3rd, 2010 22:23

The first review says the game is decent.

BlackKnight March 4th, 2010 09:05

Hi guys I played the german demo and I like this game. I will buy the game, when I get my new Pay Pal account. xD
This RPG surprises me, cause its different. It's a RPG parody, but also has an interesting storyline with a nice tactic combat system. I like those crazy characters in the game.

GothicGothicness March 4th, 2010 10:38

I am very curious about this game! What is the tactic turn-based combat like? do you have a party of characters?

wolfing March 4th, 2010 13:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by GothicGothicness (Post 1061001756)
I am very curious about this game! What is the tactic turn-based combat like? do you have a party of characters?

That was exactly what I was going to ask. Seems to me from part of the video that if not a full party, at least you can have one companion (and if so, don't see why you couldn't have more). Looks interesting indeed.

getter77 March 4th, 2010 17:12

I'm rather certain you ultimately have a team in a typical fashion with interactions and whatnot considering the earlier trailers and written pieces….each various lampoons on stock tropes IIRC.

BlackKnight March 4th, 2010 17:29

I think there were 2 titles. Grotesque Tactics has a turn-based strategy combat system like Heroes of Might & Magic. But Tactics is a RPG title, you dont buy armies but you recruit a lot of party members and control all of them.

hisvin March 4th, 2010 19:21

I have a solution for the demo.
Go into the setting folder and open the 2 files with notepad+ (config.xml and default.xml). Search German and change it by English, you save and the game is in english ( more or less.)

Alrik Fassbauer March 5th, 2010 14:14

There is a small German-language discussion about it at Larian's :
http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthre…768#Post318768

wolfing March 5th, 2010 14:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer (Post 1061001934)
There is a small German-language discussion about it at Larian's :
http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthre…768#Post318768

From what I could discern from the google translation, doesn't seem like the game is too good. It's short (poster finished it in 15 hours). Supposedly the tactical options are not that good either. On the plus side, it has funny moments. But again, this was what I got from reading the google translation. (The game was supposed to be released in 2006 originally, and the current game seems to be very different than the original plan or something)

Gorath March 6th, 2010 10:25

Seems they've found a publisher. A boxed version will come in May. The full voice-overs will be made available as DLC for customers of the DL version.

Alrik Fassbauer March 6th, 2010 12:30

Ah ! Nice ! :)

Gragnak April 7th, 2010 16:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer (Post 1061001599)
Too bad it's only online.

I'd buy it at retail for that price right away just to support them. ;)

On-line only? Why?
I thought I could play it on my notebook while travelling (without an internet connection).
Are we sure it's on-line only?

I see they put a link on the site and it's possible to buy the game.
Is it the german version or it's english too?
I found on the net that it's possible to download the demo and change the .ini file to obtain an almost full english translated game. Maybe the english translated versione is just on sale?

Alrik Fassbauer April 7th, 2010 17:21

I meant with "online" the method of purchasing the game.

No hardcopies, then. No CDs or DVDs, then.

Gragnak April 7th, 2010 17:29

Ok. Thanks for the explanation.
I think I'll buy it. I hope they'll release an english version soon.