RPGWatch Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2

RPGWatch Forums (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Comments (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   ES4:SI - New Oblivion Expansion sort of announced (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1038)

Garrett December 30th, 2006 18:34

ES4:SI - New Oblivion Expansion sort of announced
 
A thread at the official forum pointed out that there is a preview of The Elder Scrolls IV new expansion - Shivering Isles on the February 2007 issue of PC Gamer US with article summary:
Quote:

Expansions are always difficult for a developer, as giving the same is boring, and departing from the established too much alienates fans.

In an attempt to avoid this conundrum, the expansion for the popular Elder Scrolls IV will add a unique twist to the established formula - it changes little gameplay wise, but adds a whole lot of totally new and unique content.

Rather than expand into another province of Tamriel, Bethesda dipped into the lore and decided to transport players to the 'Shivering Isles' known also as 'The realm of Madness', the daedric realm ruled by the prince Sheogorath. (Just on a side note, if anyone has the played the Sheogorath Shrine Quests, they should set the tone for the expansion - twisted and at times sadistic humor).

The god Juggalef is preparing his 'once-in-an-eon' Greymarch - a cleansing of the land and everyone within, including, by extension, Sheogorath himself. With this premise you are allowed entry to the shivering isles, a place where everything is a bit off - including the plants, landscapes, creatures and NPCs.

The strangeness of the Shivering isles creates a lot of humor - "Not only are a lot of the NPCs downright hilarious, thanks to the insanity that permeates the land, but the humor also lends something of a clasic LucasArts adventure game bent to the Quests you'll embark upon. You'll laugh more in 10 hours with Shivering isles than you did with 100 hours with the parent game".

One quest has you deciding the fate of a group of adventurers who have strayed into a dungeon in search of great riches. You, along with one of Sheogoraths minions get to decide the fate of said adventurers, as Sheogorath has already decided that they are to die. You can kill them outright, or use traps and illusions within the dungeons to drive them insane (ie the adventurers see a locked cage filled with unimaginable riches - you can opt to electrify the cage, killing anyone who touches it, walk in and kill them yourself, or drop thousands of key in the room, driving them insane as they search for the real one).

You will be able to move between cyrodiil and the Shivering Isles at will, and the expansion will be suitable for all level ranges (I guess this means leveled content), with the entrance to the isles located on an island in Niben bay, near Bravil. Ill close with this quote - "If you're still pursing your lips at the thought of playing Oblivion in a land filled with a pink night sky and trees that look lifted from an acid junkies sketchbook, ask yourself if you really wanted more of the same".
There's also a scan of the 2 page article, page 1 here and page here!
Thanks Kencube!
More information.

ToddMcF2002 December 30th, 2006 18:34

Sounds like fun - although they should take the criticism to heart and not level the thing. I wish they would work on an expansion that implemented a political system similiar to Morrowind though - that would silence a host of complainers.

User NameXX December 30th, 2006 20:04

No matter how you slice & dice a pile of shit, it'll still taste like shit.

JFC, instead of fixing some of many inherent, fundamental game mech/problem , these beth monkeys gone off to the lala land.

Sorcha Ravenlock December 30th, 2006 20:23

Sounds terrible, like it's all the 'evil' path again.

Quote:

One quest has you deciding the fate of a group of adventurers who have strayed into a dungeon in search of great riches. You, along with one of Sheogoraths minions get to decide the fate of said adventurers, as Sheogorath has already decided that they are to die. You can kill them outright, or use traps and illusions within the dungeons to drive them insane (ie the adventurers see a locked cage filled with unimaginable riches - you can opt to electrify the cage, killing anyone who touches it, walk in and kill them yourself, or drop thousands of key in the room, driving them insane as they search for the real one).
how is that a choice? So you can kill them, kill them, or kill them, in various different ways. Letting them live or helping them escape, does not seem an option.

Nah, not interested, Bethesda can keep their expansion.

Garrett December 30th, 2006 20:45

I have to admit I really thought twice before posting this newsbit, I felt it is an earyl april's fool joke first *g*

anyway, maybe it brings a little life into oblivion after all, could be fun

abbaon December 30th, 2006 22:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002 (Post 14269)
Sounds like fun - although they should take the criticism to heart and not level the thing.

They should do nothing of the sort. I have no desire to waste my time on killing things until I level up. If you don't want to enter Sheogorath's realm until you reach level 30 then you can fucking restrain yourself, and let the rest of us get on with it.

Corwin December 30th, 2006 23:32

I agree totally with Sorcha; if that's 'choice', then forget it!! I didn't buy any of the MW add-ons either!!

Unregistered December 31st, 2006 00:05

This expansion pack sounds alot like the horse armor expansion pack.

Total crap

Cormac December 31st, 2006 00:43

Really ? Does the armor make the horse capable of speech ? I have to install it, then.

ToddMcF2002 December 31st, 2006 01:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by abbaon (Post 14279)
They should do nothing of the sort. I have no desire to waste my time on killing things until I level up. If you don't want to enter Sheogorath's realm until you reach level 30 then you can fucking restrain yourself, and let the rest of us get on with it.

Or you could just calm the fuck down and let me have my opinion. Whatever.

abbaon December 31st, 2006 02:41

Sorry, did I take your opinion from you? I thought I'd just stated mine.

DR490N December 31st, 2006 11:27

What's funny (in a sad way) with this "scalling the whole world to your level" system, is that it reaches so far into stupidity that many people think it's pure genious…

aries100 December 31st, 2006 11:45

HI :)

I don't really see how the 'kill adventurers in 100 ways' is a choice ??? To me, it would be more of a choice, if I could help them escape, then kill them, or if I could help them get over the insanity or ???

Also, I don't believe that it is good thing that you are able go into an expansion area at any level. Imo, there should be a level requirement, say maybe 5 or 10, before you're allowed near this expansion's area. I mean, what is the fun in going into the shivering isles at level 2 ?? when you can have more fun at level 10 or 20 ?

Sorcha Ravenlock December 31st, 2006 11:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by aries100 (Post 14304)
Also, I don't believe that it is good thing that you are able go into an expansion area at any level. Imo, there should be a level requirement, say maybe 5 or 10, before you're allowed near this expansion's area. I mean, what is the fun in going into the shivering isles at level 2 ?? when you can have more fun at level 10 or 20 ?

But you won't have more fun at level 10 or 20. When your level goes up, the creatures go up to exactly (or almost exactly) the same level as you. So no matter what level you are, enemies are always an exactly balanced challenge, that you can always handle if you set the difficulty level at the appropriate level for you. All creatures have the same levelled loot, so you will never find any item too high or too low for your level either. Heck, even the shops stock items just right for you. Spooky, isn't it? :D

So the game plays the same at level 1 or 2 as it does at level 20, and so you can enter the expansion at level 1 or 2 if you want.

At least PC users can download OOO, which seems to solve the levelling problem. (doesn't get rid of the no-choice questlines though).

GothicGothicness December 31st, 2006 17:18

Like it wasn't boring and tedious enough to get through the original game ?!?!?! people are acctually willing to pay for MORE ?!?!

Cormac December 31st, 2006 17:59

Yes I want more.

TheMadGamer December 31st, 2006 18:06

I would like more too please.

Dez January 1st, 2007 12:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorcha Ravenlock (Post 14306)
But you won't have more fun at level 10 or 20. When your level goes up, the creatures go up to exactly (or almost exactly) the same level as you. So no matter what level you are, enemies are always an exactly balanced challenge, that you can always handle if you set the difficulty level at the appropriate level for you. All creatures have the same levelled loot, so you will never find any item too high or too low for your level either. Heck, even the shops stock items just right for you. Spooky, isn't it? :D

So the game plays the same at level 1 or 2 as it does at level 20, and so you can enter the expansion at level 1 or 2 if you want.

At least PC users can download OOO, which seems to solve the levelling problem. (doesn't get rid of the no-choice questlines though).

Yep in a nutshell the leveling system and no-choice questlines are the biggest flaws in oblivion. I'd like to enjoy oblivion as much as ppl in tes forums, but i simply can't. Its fun to play in short bursts, but in the long run..oblivion is a tedious game.

TheMadGamer January 1st, 2007 19:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dez (Post 14352)
I'd like to enjoy oblivion as much as ppl in tes forums, but i simply can't. Its fun to play in short bursts, but in the long run..oblivion is a tedious game.

Are you referring to the official Bethesda TES forums? If you are we must be in different universes. In my universe, Bethesda's forums are the angriest forums on the planet.

txa1265 January 1st, 2007 20:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMadGamer (Post 14375)
In my universe, Bethesda's forums are the angriest forums on the planet.

I dunno … there is some stiff competition out there … but any forum heavily populated with hordes of over-privileged teenagers is bound to be rife with vitriol …


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:18.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch