RPGWatch Forums

RPGWatch Forums (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Comments (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Obsidian Entertainment - Lost its Luster? (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10826)

aries100 June 21st, 2010 16:48

Obsidian Entertainment - Lost its Luster?

An editorial at Koku Gamer asks this very question. It seems to be dealing with the lusterlack of the old BIS, not Obsidian, though. Here's an excerpt:
Quote:

If I remember correctly, Obsidianís current release, Alpha Protocol, had been in development for a few years. I remember still being married at the time of me sitting on a bed and reading an article on the game that featured screenshots and an incredibly descriptive article that painted the picture of a game that was well on its way to being released. The concept was solid, and I was nearly sold on it. However, the finished product was underwhelming. Though the dialog system was fantastic, the rest of the game was disappointing, to say the least.

More information.

screeg June 21st, 2010 16:48

Quote:

All I want is for the original team to re-create that magic from when I first stepped out of Vault 13.
Oh, is that all. Well, I'm sure there will be Alpha Protocol 2. Hopefully the DLC will tide you over until then.

Roi Danton June 21st, 2010 18:28

Hey, I liked Alpha Protocol. A lot, actually. I'm not weird, am I? :-p

WorstUsernameEver June 21st, 2010 18:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roi Danton (Post 1061015761)
Hey, I liked Alpha Protocol. A lot, actually. I'm not weird, am I? :-p

I liked the game, but my enjoyment depended a lot on me weighing the enjoyable elements more than the unenjoyable ones.
Of course, this varies a lot between people, and there are just enough flaws that the reviews are at least understandable.

Maylander June 21st, 2010 20:30

Enjoyed it a lot as well. :)

dagoo7 June 21st, 2010 21:13

Despite its flaws, I found I enjoyed it much more than the deified Mass Effect 2. More of an rpg imho also, although thats not really saying all that much. Why one is 100+ ultimate in gaming and the other is @70 and fail, i dont get at all.

Melvil June 21st, 2010 21:31

AP is a masochistic gamers dream come true, just after computer seats with needles poking out of the seat.

NFLed June 22nd, 2010 02:28

I enjoyed AP a whole lot.

figment June 22nd, 2010 04:38

I enjoyed it as well. Certainly my top pick of the year so far. Much more fun than ME2.

The blog basically points out the flaw in announcing projects too early as well missing release dates. Usually its the developer/marketing wishlist that is published not the final feature set and that allows customers to get hyped up way too early and allow them to become jaded by the actual release date.

DArtagnan June 22nd, 2010 10:47

Definitely had its moments, but I think it's the worst Obsidian has done.

Including KotOR2 - because I value unfinished quality higher than finished mediocrity.

Acleacius June 22nd, 2010 18:13

Classic game, extremely engaging story RPG based on Covert Military Operations with possibly more choices than any game previously. Dragged down by low quality console designs, pathetic save system, cash strapped publisher with premature releasejacation.

Malk June 24th, 2010 02:05

Bad interface design is a real problem, but it didn't bother me too much. I guess I just have more patience than your average gamer. Also, I don't get it why is stealth so bad? Sure, you don't get to hide in shadows, but other than that it's pretty fun. Especially if you don't use Shadow Operative too much.
Quote:

Originally Posted by figment (Post 1061015803)
The blog basically points out the flaw in announcing projects too early as well missing release dates.

I think the main point the blog makes is that Obsidian is not that good developer.

JDR13 June 24th, 2010 02:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malk (Post 1061016046)
I think the main point the blog makes is that Oblivion is not that good developer.

Obsidian? ;)

Malk June 24th, 2010 02:21

Heh, yeah, thanks… Tho, I wouldn't be much mistaken if I wrote "game" instead of "developer". :D

Alrik Fassbauer June 25th, 2010 16:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acleacius (Post 1061015842)
with premature releasejacation.

:lol: I think I'll keep that term in mind Ö :lol: