RPGWatch Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

RPGWatch Forums (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Elder Scrolls I - IV (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Nehrim and modding the mod (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11408)

crpgnut September 15th, 2010 15:47

Nehrim and modding the mod

Just a heads up for those who were curious; you can add Oblivion mods to Nehrim, at least the simple ones. I've added Qarl's texture pack, HGEC and a little mod called "A takes All" or something similar. These all seem to work fine. My game doesn't seem to be any less stable since adding them.

skavenhorde September 24th, 2010 11:09

I'd like to add that OBSE works fine as well. I added most of the mods here as well as Qarl's (a must).

That's all I'm willing to mess with right now.

DArtagnan September 24th, 2010 11:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by skavenhorde (Post 1061026458)
I'd like to add that OBSE works fine as well. I added most of the mods here as well as Qarl's (a must).

That's all I'm willing to mess with right now.

Nice, thanks ;)

The stealth overhaul was always a must for me in Oblivion.

Benedict September 24th, 2010 12:00

Is Nehrim any good btw?

DArtagnan September 24th, 2010 12:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benedict (Post 1061026474)
Is Nehrim any good btw?

Define good, and I'll come up with an answer ;)

Think of it as a cross between Gothic and Oblivion, but without being able to escape the confines of the Oblivion (Gamebryo) engine.

Benedict September 24th, 2010 12:06

Sounds fairly good to my tastes then, oblivions polish & gothics depth and challenge would be perfect IMO.

DArtagnan September 24th, 2010 12:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benedict (Post 1061026480)
Sounds fairly good to my tastes then, oblivions polish & gothics depth and challenge would be perfect IMO.

There's your answer ;)

Personally, I have some rather serious issues with the "feel" and awkwardness of the engine - but I'm working to overcome that, because I think there's a really great game beneath the surface.

skavenhorde September 24th, 2010 14:24

I just survived a crypt that I had no business being in. Tough skeletons, ghosts and liches plus a mini-boss that I'm sure will be mentioned in a quest sometime in the near future (It had a name). I love finishing quests before I'm even given them :)

It took everything I owned to survive. I used almost every potion, scroll and switched weapons tons of times from ranged staff weapons to melee just to kill these things.

The reason I mentioned this is because I had more fun in the hour it took me to go through that tiny crypt (4 or 5 chambers) than I did throughout all of Oblivion and I was rewarded for my troubles. I got a nice sword and a few constant effect items. Nothing overpowering mind you, but definatly better than what I had on before I went in.

This is exactly why I love Gothic over Oblivion. It throws challenges at you and rewards you for taking them on. If this was the normal version of Oblivion I would of come across some low level skeletons and found some junk at the end of this crypt.

wynams October 3rd, 2010 02:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by DArtagnan (Post 1061026478)
… without being able to escape the confines of the Oblivion (Gamebryo) engine.

Finally got around to Nehrim a bit this afternoon, and this perfectly sums up my estimation thus far.

I'd still rather something be based off Bethesda <anything> over Bioware <anything>.

/casts protection from flames on self

Wulf October 4th, 2010 22:17

Downloaded and installed the new patch version 1.0.8.0 today and loaded directly on top of my current game and continued with no problems.

link -> http://nehrim.de/dataEV.html

The new launcher shows the change-log - there's also a forum explained list ->

http://www.sureai.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=3467
………………………
This is sure one heck of a game, the best i've played in ages.

Lurking Grue October 5th, 2010 14:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wulf (Post 1061027876)
Downloaded and installed the new patch version 1.0.8.0 today

What's the status of the English translation regarding written works that are not main quest related? I read that they were untranslated when they first released the English version and I have been waiting for a full translation. So, have they managed to translate them all by this patch? Didn't see anything about it in the patch notes, other than they said the English version is now up to date with the German one (but I think that means the bug-stomping side of things, not the translation).

Wulf October 5th, 2010 23:17

@Lurking Grue

I can't really tell yet as i am stuck in a main quest (Barateon's Temple) and havn't progressed much since installing the second patch. Havn't had any translation problems at all. All books are beautifully written, all pop-up menu's/instruction are good as well as all dialogue texts. A few wall posters are still in German but hasn't affected any game play progress.

Gothmog October 6th, 2010 00:55

I'll second that Nehrim is amazing and the SureAI modders brilliant.

fragonard October 6th, 2010 01:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lurking Grue (Post 1061027949)
What's the status of the English translation regarding written works that are not main quest related?

The latest patch doesn't address the minor, non-quest related text translation and, from what I understand from the official forum, these texts are a low priority and may never be 100% done. If I were you, I wouldn't wait; they don't really detract too much from the game since they give no vital info anyway.

Warmark October 6th, 2010 01:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gothmog (Post 1061028012)
I'll second that Nehrim is amazing and the SureAI modders brilliant.

I'll third that. It's so well designed, I haven't been in two dungeons that look the same, couldn't say that about vanilla Oblivion.

Dajjer October 6th, 2010 20:58

Thanks for the heads up on this game. The perfect game to play while I await, Arcadia and Fallout. I guess Nehrim has a main quest, but all I'm doing is exploring and fighting off baddies. I just love wandering into places I'm not supposed to be at and then with a couple of swings to test the baddie, I'm off and running for my life where ever my legs will carry me. Good Times.

However, playing this game reminds me why I never finished Oblivion even though I put in well over 60 hours. While I like the game world, the player Interface is horrendous. the lock picking, the conversation game, the enemies that chase you and never tire. Still, Nehrim is a million time better than Oblivion

BillSeurer October 6th, 2010 21:05

Do the "reputations" (something like that) you get have any effect in game or are they just achievement-like things? For instance I was supposed to run down a guy before he could deliver a weapon that had been found and when I caught up to him I pulled out my bow and shot him full of arrows before he could get back to me. For some reason this gave me the :murderer: reputation. I also picked up the :thug: one earlier apparently for friendly fire while in combat.

Spoiler – About that weapon…

fragonard October 6th, 2010 21:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillSeurer (Post 1061028172)
For some reason this gave me the :murderer: reputation.

There are some encounters that seem to require a scripted event to complete. So, if you do not interact with the target, the script will not start and the quest will be messed up in some way. When you kill at range, of course, you can't have this interaction.

crpgnut October 6th, 2010 21:46

@BillSeurer - It really doesn't matter what you do with it and there's no special location for the dumping and no quest update if you do dump it. I'm unsure if there are repurcussions at the end of the game, but I doubt it.

booboo October 11th, 2010 19:49

I'm having fun with Nehrim, but performance-wise it seems rather slow - I don't like having to turn off distant lands etc just to fight some critters (I have a GTX 480 and Ok system, shouldn't have to!). But the pluses far outweigh the negatives - these guys have a brilliant eye for world design: the Dark Forest is just amazing (when you're not fighting anything ;-) They seem obsessed with spiders tho :-/ and me being mildly technophobic…!

Just one question: what do the "region levels" really indicate? I entered the Dark Forest at level 16 and ventured into a ruin…I survived (just!) but the region is flagged as level" 30-34" or some ludicrously high level. I mean it s certainly tougher, but nowhere near that hard - and I'm not a power gamer.