RPGWatch Forums

RPGWatch Forums (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Comments (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Dungeon Siege 3 - Katarina Trailer (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13030)

Dhruin March 25th, 2011 05:55

Dungeon Siege 3 - Katarina Trailer

A new Dungeon Siege 3 trailer is available that reveals the Katarina character. Word is Katarina "wields the power of long range combat and magic for the ultimate offensive presence".
More information.

Damian Mahadevan March 25th, 2011 05:55

Looks like you can preorder this to get bonus items. Can i preorder online for pc?

Drithius March 25th, 2011 06:58

That looks fun! Gun-Fu + magic!

Party game + Obsidian writing + dearth of diabloesque loot games… this could be a real winner for Obsidian. If only they had half the ridiculous amount of marketing that DA2 had.

Damian Mahadevan March 25th, 2011 08:51

Looks like too much fun and on top of that she gets a pet! I have a feeling we will see a lot of her in multiplayer if it has it.

Alrik Fassbauer March 25th, 2011 10:39

Looks like some Steampunk thrown in …

Starwars March 25th, 2011 11:21

The game doesn't look at its best when zoomed in like that (compare to how good some of the previews look when zoomed out) and the whole "videogame babe" thing is disappointingly overdone here. But on the plus side, she really does look like a fun character to play.

As for the steampunk, it's been pretty much confirmed that there are some of that in the game. However, I think that was always a part of Dungeon Siege?

Alrik Fassbauer March 25th, 2011 11:24

I didn't think so … But yes, if I remember the Gnomes (?) of DS1, then yes (those "Battle Droids" *chuckle* )

GothicGothicness March 25th, 2011 11:49

Is it just me or is animation becoming worse and worse in new RPG's ?

Damian Mahadevan March 25th, 2011 12:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by GothicGothicness (Post 1061059236)

Its an Obsidian trademark. :p

fatBastard() March 25th, 2011 13:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by GothicGothicness (Post 1061059236)

It's is just you.

As graphics are getting better and better, the demands on other details like animation are also getting higher and higher, so a certain aspect can't keep pace, it stands out more clearly now than before.

However, that certainly doesn't necessarily mean that the actual animations are getting worse.

Alrik Fassbauer March 25th, 2011 15:44

What I don't quite understand is that people say that person's (NPCs & PCs) animations in games are still "stiff" - according to them - whereas I find them amazing !

I Germany there's a kind of proverb saying "we [in this case] are lamenting on a [very] high level".

Dasale March 26th, 2011 09:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer (Post 1061059305)
What I don't quite understand is that people say that person's (NPCs & PCs) animations in games are still "stiff" - according to them - whereas I find them amazing !

I Germany there's a kind of proverb saying "we [in this case] are lamenting on a [very] high level".

You think it's juts about animation but you can use it for ton of game design elements, modern players tend be constant unhappy people.

Wulf March 26th, 2011 10:38

Indeed, some of Katarina's animations are laughable, she walks like a pregnant duck.

Dasale March 26th, 2011 10:41

??? It's mad, I saw nothing, could you quote the exact part of the video?

Wulf March 26th, 2011 12:22

Well as you will know many animations are looped so as to give a fluid continuous cycle effect, in this vid clip i can clearly see the motion loop start point and furthermore, some effort to hide it by the head bopping motion actually emphasises the start/end bits rather than blend or hide - all to the trained eye of course. Full motion capture technology might have been a better choice utilising sequencial loops rather than single cycle animation loops but obviously would add to the costs.

Drithius March 26th, 2011 14:25

Man, you guys read too much into details that are largely irrelevant ;p How about the sprites of BG and Fallout?

I think FatBastard hit the nail on the head; with greater polygon count, comes even greater expectations.

Dasale March 26th, 2011 15:22

Lol no I checked again carefully the video, and it's more imagination than reality, if you watch it at slow motion and analyze any pixel perhaps.

But the important element is your point was "she walks like a pregnant duck" that's not technical details only you can see. You should watch carefully real people walk and observe how "ridiculous" and funny it can be.

Remind me a lot one point of PCGamer about PC gamers, technical whore.

kalniel March 26th, 2011 15:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dasale (Post 1061059531)
Remind me a lot one point of PCGamer about PC gamers, technical whore.

'Better to be human dissatisfied than a pig satisfied' ;) (JS Mill I think)

Dasale March 26th, 2011 21:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalniel (Post 1061059535)
'Better to be human dissatisfied than a pig satisfied' ;) (JS Mill I think)

Not wrong. :biggrin: