RPGWatch Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 Last »

RPGWatch Forums (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Comments (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Highlighting Now Optional (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13213)

Dhruin April 18th, 2011 23:23

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Highlighting Now Optional
 
The Deus Ex: Human Revolution team has released a video message announcing they have heard the community concern over highlighting and object locating (the gold outlines) and it will be optional. they explain and defend the original choice as being faithful to the fiction but they have responded to the concern. The video also includes some footage, so you can see the differences.
Thanks, Von Paulus.
More information.

azarhal April 18th, 2011 23:23

Lots of people will have to re-pre-order the game now, I guess.

Majnun April 18th, 2011 23:29

I pre-ordered the PC version and knew someone would mod this anyway.

It is cool that they listened though. Crap like that should always be an option.

Nerevarine April 18th, 2011 23:33

That is definitely good news. I absolutely hated that ugly gold highlight bordering on every object, and the video showing the highlighting turned off made the world look much better. Seriously, if they are going to give the option to highlight objects in such an intrusive manner (which they shouldn't!), at least make it a less gaudy color than bright gold.

Von Paulus April 18th, 2011 23:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by azarhal (Post 1061064063)
Lots of people will have to re-pre-order the game now, I guess.

Well I only cancel my pre orders a few days before they get release. Until the last moment, I know they still can fix some of the issues.
While I don't have much hope in case of The Witcher 2, still, I will only removed my pre order near the release date.

DeepO April 18th, 2011 23:48

Well, this is good news.

DoctorNarrative April 19th, 2011 00:54

Good to know. I wasn't OMG DIE about it, but I would rather not have it on.

Dasale April 19th, 2011 01:26

I already wrote it in the other thread but really I can't let that slip through.

Items selection isn't a basic problem, old games letting you search any pixel with your cursor was badly designed games not offering much more, typical adventure games with non logic puzzles where you hadn't much more to do than an intensive cursor seeking.

There's good selectable items seeking but this requires a solid design, otherwise it ends quickly in a tedious cursor seeking. A last minute change like that can only be a fake option. It's more to calm down fans but it won't result in good gameplay.

EDIT: In reality it's not really a problem because only see an item let you know most often what you can do with it. A book, a yeah I can open and read, a glass, ah yeah i can take it and fill it with water, and so on. Alas no game offer such an easy identification of selectable elements. That's why the game needs a solid design to identify it. For example selectable books should have some visual singularity allowing the player identify those non selectable after some experience in the game.

EDIT2: What's fun in searching is only the observation game, not at all the painful cursor seeking. Observation is a complicate task involving identifying, analyzing, cross information, identification of patterns, identification of anomalies, and much more. But this means a lot of care in design.

Khalus April 19th, 2011 02:10

Oh thank goodness!!! Just cause there are 10s of millions of stupid gamers that can't think for themselves and must have everything pointed out what to do, doesn't mean that we that can think for ourselves must suffer due to their incompetence!

And damn does it look very good…I sure hope nVidia's new Kepler GPUs {due to release 2nd half of 2011} are released before this game, or I'll just have to wait to play it. <I really need a new DX11 GPU!>

skavenhorde April 19th, 2011 07:46

Good, I"m glad they made it optional. I was still going to get it, but my god did that look bad and I did not want to be hand-held throughout this game. It doesn't take me that long to figure out what the devs had in mind as usable items and what is just scenery.

Roi Danton April 19th, 2011 08:07

I like the difficulty level "Give me Deus EX". :D

Dasale April 19th, 2011 08:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khalus (Post 1061064107)
Oh thank goodness!!! Just cause there are 10s of millions of stupid gamers that can't think for themselves and must have everything pointed out what to do, doesn't mean that we that can think for ourselves must suffer due to their incompetence!

And damn does it look very good…I sure hope nVidia's new Kepler GPUs {due to release 2nd half of 2011} are released before this game, or I'll just have to wait to play it. <I really need a new DX11 GPU!>

Lol stupid kids and teens tried learned me how bad is DA2 during months, it's clear people tend react on automatism and forget think, they can but they don't and react automatically.

That said for you having to react so high either your vanity is quickly hurt either you are a blind fanboy of the game, even before its release!

DArtagnan April 19th, 2011 09:15

I'd prefer they redesign the augmentation. If they made that augmentation highlight stuff - there would have to be a reason, and either it's good or they should redo the design to make more sense. Making this optional is telling of yielding because of sheer pressure.

But, I still have a great feeling about the game.

It may be my last sight-unseen AAA purchase - or it may rekindle my hopes ;)

Roi Danton April 19th, 2011 10:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by DArtagnan (Post 1061064160)
I'd prefer they redesign the augmentation. If they made that augmentation highlight stuff - there would have to be a reason, and either it's good or they should redo the design to make more sense. Making this optional is telling of yielding because of sheer pressure.

But at least they care about the opinion of the community. That's always a good sign.

DArtagnan April 19th, 2011 10:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roi Danton (Post 1061064175)
But at least they care about the opinion of the community. That's always a good sign.

It's respectful, and that's good.

But, assuming they trust in their own design, I personally don't think it's good to bulk because of pressure.

Still, it's now an option - so bitching about it is pretty silly.

I'm glad I can get rid of the highlighting if it was indeed as bad as it seemed in those videos.

holeraw April 19th, 2011 10:57

I'm not surprised that people reacted so much about an interface feature that noone has actually experienced in action. Still… if the game is designed with that particular feature in mind, then turning it off might simply be an unnecessary handicap.

People really canceled preorders because of that? (Not that I understand why people preorder games that they can as easily find after they've seen a couple of reviews anyway, but) backing up from it because you see out of context a feature that didn't work well on some other game seems really odd to me.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Roi Danton (Post 1061064175)
But at least they care about the opinion of the community. That's always a good sign.

I say that's always a bad sign. Taking into account feedback by people who played your game is a great sign - allowing laymen to influence the creation of something they know next to nothing about doesn't sound good to me at all.

Tilean April 19th, 2011 20:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by holeraw
I say that's always a bad sign. Taking into account feedback by people who played your game is a great sign - allowing laymen to influence the creation of something they know next to nothing about doesn't sound good to me at all.

You are exaggerating; Eidos Montreal is not irrationally bowing down to group pressure. The outcry about the highlighting has its roots in the release of the 9min gameplay showcase, so its not unfounded criticism. The actual influence on the creation is also quite minimal, given the fact that its just an additional option of customization.

The whole issue is typical of the differences in viewpoint between a gamer and a developer. For a gamer the first playthrough is usually the most essential part of the gaming experience, while the developers and beta testers often lose sight of this critical first experience.

The developer always knows how to approach a level, while the gamer still has to discover it on his own, so it's quite understandable the issue hasn't come up before in the offices of Eidos Montreal.

Couchpotato April 20th, 2011 04:13

Just another case of listening to the vocal minority. Sometimes it makes for good changes and other times it just ruins a game. It nice that at least it will be optional as I had no problem with it. Does the highlighting actually bug people I dont see it as a problem.

DoctorNarrative April 20th, 2011 04:38

What's really amusing about the outrage to me is that both Deus Ex games already had highlighting, yet this is seen as some kind of "consolized" or streamlined thing.

Von Paulus April 20th, 2011 04:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Couchpotato (Post 1061064357)
Just another case of listening to the vocal minority. Sometimes it makes for good changes and other times it just ruins a game. It nice that at least it will be optional as I had no problem with it. Does the highlighting actually bug people I dont see it as a problem.

Why do you say it was a minority? Most people on the official forum was against. In most forums and other sites, there was more people complaining than defending it. You can't say it was a minority.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoctorNarrative (Post 1061064360)
What's really amusing about the outrage to me is that both Deus Ex games already had highlighting.

But not like this. It was one object each time and only when it was near in range to be usable, not 5m away.
Besides there was no highlight in doors, vents and ladders, only usable objects.
I don't have any problems with the original Deus Ex highlight, only with this aberration.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:17.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 Last »

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch