RPGWatch Forums

RPGWatch Forums (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tactica: Maiden of Faith (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Difficulties for indie developers (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14153)

GothicGothicness July 6th, 2011 10:35

Difficulties for indie developers
 
I've now lost an artist for the fourth time because he got a high profile job in the movie industry. I guess it is not good to recruit such a good talent for an indie game, because they are bound to get a good employment which prevents them from working on indie games.

Anyone have any idea how to solve this problem for indie games? or is the only option to reduce the art quality and buy cheap art from freelancers, or use not so skilled aspiring artists ?

JemyM July 6th, 2011 10:40

Read up on Brain Drain to see if there are any solutions there.

DArtagnan July 6th, 2011 14:25

Do your own art - like I do ;)

GothicGothicness July 6th, 2011 14:28

well, you've posted some screens…. while graphics is not my main focus I am aiming a bit higher than that ;D

DArtagnan July 6th, 2011 14:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by GothicGothicness (Post 1061079372)
well, you've posted some screens…. while graphics is not my main focus I am aiming a bit higher than that ;D

I haven't posted anything that was anywhere near final yet. Most of it is just to get something on screen. While I'm no artist - I expect to meet expectations for such a small market.

GhanBuriGhan July 6th, 2011 14:34

Maybe aim at recruiting someone who is a fan of the kind of games you want to make and has decent art skills? If not totally untalented, the person will quickly get better with practice, and his enthusiasm and identification with the actual product will make it more likely that he/she stays in your team.

GothicGothicness July 6th, 2011 14:43

GBG I have been searching for such a person… for such a long time… really hard to find. Besides even if I found one they will still have their normal work and family time etc…. so they might not have enough time anyway. Perhaps a student with such a interest and much spare time would be the ideal recruit. Hopefully I'll find someone!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by DArtagnan (Post 1061079376)
I haven't posted anything that was anywhere near final yet. Most of it is just to get something on screen. While I'm no artist - I expect to meet expectations for such a small market.

I know :) I think it will be good enough for the kind of dungeon crawl I am suspecting you are working on….. but either way I don't think it'll have the level of graphics I am aiming at.

GhanBuriGhan July 6th, 2011 15:32

Another idea - would it be feasible to compltetely go a freelance route? I.e. if you already have a solid base of art that defines the art style you want, shouldn't pro artists be capable of matching the style reasonably well? So you'd put out the things you need and people could claim them on a pay-per- item basis. Or would that be too expensive?

DArtagnan July 6th, 2011 15:56

Quote:

I know I think it will be good enough for the kind of dungeon crawl I am suspecting you are working on….. but either way I don't think it'll have the level of graphics I am aiming at
I don't really have much choice in the matter - as I have no money for artists, and I don't want to ask anyone to work on my personal project.

So, I have to make do with what I have.

Once I have something semi-final, I'll post a shot and take the pain ;)

GothicGothicness July 6th, 2011 16:16

Quote:

Another idea - would it be feasible to compltetely go a freelance route? I.e. if you already have a solid base of art that defines the art style you want, shouldn't pro artists be capable of matching the style reasonably well? So you'd put out the things you need and people could claim them on a pay-per- item basis. Or would that be too expensive?
I have been considering it, and I have friends who have taken this route with good results. It is easy for 2d-games, but for 3d-games it becomes much more complex. Besides I don't think it will have the same overall quality as having a passionate person working on the indie project because they enjoy it rather than just for quick cash. But it might be the route I have to take. 3d-art is darned expensive though.

DArtagnan July 6th, 2011 16:18

Do you have any screenshot of the level you're going for? I'm curious to see what we're talking about here.

GothicGothicness July 6th, 2011 16:25

if I send it in PM will you keep it confidential? I'll see if I have a good enough one.

DArtagnan July 6th, 2011 16:31

I won't reveal anything you don't want me to :)

Alrik Fassbauer July 9th, 2011 13:43

We'll watch you. ;)

GhanBuriGhan July 10th, 2011 09:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by GothicGothicness (Post 1061079381)
GBG I have been searching for such a person… for such a long time… really hard to find. Besides even if I found one they will still have their normal work and family time etc…. so they might not have enough time anyway. Perhaps a student with such a interest and much spare time would be the ideal recruit. Hopefully I'll find someone!!

Well, one problem here os that you have not tried to build a fanbase, or even interest in your game. If I wasn't a regular Watcher, I would never have heard about your game. And even I don't really know about it. I gatherd that it will probably be some tactical TB strategy RPG hybrid - but thats it.

You are probably afraid of being seen as just another vaporware indie, but I think being more visible has many advantages, and one may be that it becomes easier to recruit. AoDs Oscar started with fan contributions on their forums, and Gareth of the now-suspended Scars of War also recruited Artists through his Forum and blog, although he wasn't quite so lucky in getting someone to stay really longterm.
So IMHO, you should start doing more to make your game known in the Indie community.

Alrik Fassbauer July 10th, 2011 13:39

What about asking the Nehrim team or other modders ?

Pladio July 10th, 2011 15:31

2 Attachment(s)
Post a few adds at universities with graphical design courses. Say it's a three month commitment at first (to prove themselves) and the person would need to sign a non-disclosure agreement. After 3 months an extension can be offered. There will be no pay other than (free game + putting creations in portfolio). These kind of things usually can attract quite a lot of attention.

I tried my hand at 3d graphics and I tried making a sword. In the end, it looked like some kind of short dagger.
And a helm.

What do you think ?

hishadow July 10th, 2011 15:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pladio (Post 1061080014)
After 3 months an extension can be offered. There will be no pay other than (free game + putting creations in portfolio). These kind of things usually can attract quite a lot of attention.

Thats a good question. Is it paid or volunteer?

wolfing July 10th, 2011 17:19

get someone from a country where the economy is weaker / labor is cheap (like east Europe, maybe Australia, Pakistan, Bangladesh, South Africa, India maybe? etc and that's just the English speaking countries, if you know other languages then countries that use it).

Charles-cgr July 10th, 2011 17:22

An option you could consider is taking the Winter Voices route. Concentrate on small episodes, quicker to finish so more likely you'll keep the same artist per episode. Ask him/her for a commitment to at least finish one.

If the first one does well it'll be an incentive to stick around for the next one, possibly until the end of the project.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:56.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch