RPGWatch Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 Last »

RPGWatch Forums (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Comments (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Bethesda Softworks - Legal Moves Against Notch? (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14423)

Dhruin August 6th, 2011 01:49

Bethesda Softworks - Legal Moves Against Notch?

From the it's-a-strange-world-department (and via RPS again) comes news that Bethsoft appear to have sent a legal notice to Notch (of Minecraft fame) claiming his new development Scrolls infringes on The Elder Scrolls.
OK.
More information.

Majnun August 6th, 2011 01:49

So now Bethesda's legal department are like that dumbass that tried to sue EA over Mirror's Edge because he owned the rights to the word Edge.

Idiots.

vurt August 6th, 2011 02:03

Haha, this happens all the time, only in america :D

Best example throughout the years must be Monster Cable who sued to left and right anything that had "Monster" in its title. I mean wtf!?

Hardly good publicity for the company when they pull off these things.

DoctorNarrative August 6th, 2011 02:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by vurt (Post 1061084900)

Sweden you mean.

And yeah, it's stupid. Someone find a property that used the word "Elder" predominantly to make them look even more stupid.

Lucky Day August 6th, 2011 02:11

Quote:

Sweden you mean…

vurt August 6th, 2011 02:49

No we don't have the tradition of sueing everyone for everything here, yet.. We're still learning ;) Buy yeah i know the minecraft dude is a swede, Bethsoft are americans to my knowledge, so no surprise there..

khaight August 6th, 2011 02:54

Quote:

Best example throughout the years must be Monster Cable who sued to left and right anything that had "Monster" in its title. I mean wtf!?

Monster got its ass handed to it at least once, when they went after a small company called Blue Jeans Cable. It turned out that the company owner had a previous two-decade career as a lawyer and he let them have it in classic form. Monster was expecting a cakewalk and they ran into a buzzsaw.

The relevant documents are online and worth a read. Sometimes the good guys win.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/legal/mcp/index.htm

vurt August 6th, 2011 02:59

Nice, served them right :)

Mordie71 August 6th, 2011 03:01

did EAgames buy Bethesda recently? If so this legal move could be becuase Notch doesn't want to sell the Mindcaft IP to them ….just seems insteresting :

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/08/min…le-to-ea-vibe/

DoctorNarrative August 6th, 2011 03:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by vurt (Post 1061084909)
No we don't have the tradition of sueing everyone for everything here, yet.. We're still learning ;) Buy yeah i know the minecraft dude is a swede, Bethsoft are americans to my knowledge, so no surprise there..

They were Swedish lawyers that contacted him. One assumes they would sue him in Sweden if they decided to, since Sweden honors US copyrights.

Zloth August 6th, 2011 03:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoctorNarrative (Post 1061084902)
And yeah, it's stupid. Someone find a property that used the word "Elder" predominantly to make them look even more stupid.

There was an Activision game for the Atari 2600 called 'The Activision Decatholon' so we can get them on "The". Not as good a word but Activision can afford more lawyers.

bjon045 August 6th, 2011 06:19

Zenimax lawyers not Bethesda.

Dhruin August 6th, 2011 06:23

Technically correct but Zenimax is Bethsoft - see the recent interview with Todd Howard. Zenimax is nothing more than a holding company.

That said, I intended the newsbit to just say "Bethosft", not "Bethesda Softworks" - our news editor automatically applies the full title and I overlooked that. Will change it when I get home from work.

hishadow August 6th, 2011 06:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjon045 (Post 1061084931)
Zenimax lawyers not Bethesda.

I'm certain Zenimax handles all legal afairs of all its subsidiaries. It's on behalf of properties Bethesda handles, ergo it is directly related to Bethesda.

figment August 6th, 2011 07:47

Sounds like Notch may have tried to trademark Scrolls itself. Zenimax is then defending themselves against possible infringment accusations in the reverse when they use Elder Scrolls. Yeah unlikely but if true Im not to bothered by their action.

hishadow August 6th, 2011 07:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by figment (Post 1061084937)
Sounds like Notch may have tried to trademark Scrolls itself. Zenimax is then defending themselves against possible infringment accusations in the reverse when they use Elder Scrolls. Yeah unlikely but if true Im not to bothered by their action.

They already have a trademark for "The Elder Scrolls". There is nothing to defend against. Instead they are asserting that "Scrolls" in infringing upon their "The Elder Scrolls" trademark.

DoctorNarrative August 6th, 2011 08:14

Remember that US copyright law is thoroughly fucked. There are tons of clauses about your copyright being at risk if you do not try to defend it. This ends up causing a lot of bullshit lawsuits like this while companies try to prove they are defending their copyrights.

Couchpotato August 6th, 2011 08:17

Since when do company's own part of sentences or certain words. Just imagine getting fined if you use a word without approval.

Let's say I make a rpg called The Elder Reckoning. Guess I would be sued by two company's even though my game has nothing in common.

We live in a time of litigation and its good to be a lawyer . You never run out of cases and money. Remember people you can sue anyone today for any thing. I cant wait till copyright laws collapse in the next 10 years.

coyote August 6th, 2011 10:43

Never heard of Notch before, but I just informed myself and can say with certainty that I would never, not even completely drunk in the night at new moon confuse their CCG — for Computer Card Game — "Scrolls" with any Elder Scrolls game, let alone Skyrim.

Respect_for_Bethesda-=1

Hope this clears up without a lawsuit.

holeraw August 6th, 2011 12:24

And then Bethesda sues Notch again be cause 'Minecraft' sound a little like 'Daggerfall' if you are far away, underwater and half deaf.

Seriously this has to be one of the most ridiculous things I've heard lately… it sounds more like bullying to me. Maybe these guys at Bethesda are just jealous because Notch makes more money than them without trying as hard and without wasting tons of it on awesome graphics, radiant intelligent mudcrabs and armies of marketing people and lawyers.

Hey also. does anyone think that this might actually have something to do with the fact that the official release date for Minecraft will be 11/11 - the same as Skyrim? I can't think of why, maybe it's just a coincidence, but if Bethesda is actually seriously scared by an indie's competition that'd be really awesome!