RPGWatch Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2

RPGWatch Forums (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Comments (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   RPGWatch Feature: Jay Barnson Interview (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14743)

Dhruin September 8th, 2011 02:20

RPGWatch Feature: Jay Barnson Interview

Corwin caught up with Jay 'Rampant Coyote' Barnson as the release of Frayed Knights gets close to discuss the game and its development. Here's an excerpt:
Quote:

RPGWatch: Could you give us some background on what you hoped to achieve when you first began FK?
JB: While I can't even pretend that Frayed Knights is going to make much of a dent in the world of CRPGs, I guess in many ways it's part of my damn-fool idealistic crusade to prove a point. There's a lot of talk about how RPGs have evolved into their current incarnation —- which I feel is more like action gaming with lots of story and the trappings of character progression. I don't believe that's "evolution" so much as an attempt to find a unique selling point in the much larger action game market. I don't really want to turn the clock back to 1993 or anything, but I think the ideas and conventions of the genre from earlier eras are ripe for mining by modern, low-budget indie games. They may not be able to sell a million copies anymore, but they don't need to!
So besides the humor aspect, what I was really trying to capture was the feel and flavor of not only the old-school CRPGs, but also the thrill of playing dice-and-paper RPGs back in the early 80's. I don't know if it's possible to bottle that - or if it is, if I have one iota of the talent necessarily to make it happen - but that's what I've been going for. And I wanted it to be a game that would still be a fun RPG even if the humor didn't work at all. I've also tried to address some of the deficiencies of the genre. For example, I've tried to make picking locks and disarming traps an interesting mini-game of its own, and then I introduced the drama star system to encourage an alternative to save-scumming.
Read it all here.
More information.

shaf September 8th, 2011 02:21

I played some early alphas which was in a different area that what will be released in part 1. I liked the game style and character interaction. It is a definite buy for me.

Lemonhead September 8th, 2011 04:16

Great read. After reading this it's a must buy for me. I hadn't really been paying attention to it up until now but it sounds great.

skavenhorde September 8th, 2011 06:47

Great interview and great game. I'm playing the latest beta and I'm amazed at the little details that he has included that has made a huge difference between the first beta I played and the one now.

HiddenX September 8th, 2011 08:16

This game is on my "have to buy it"-list.

DArtagnan September 8th, 2011 08:24

Will definitely check this out. Din's Curse is one of the strongest indie games out there, even if it still lacks a certain something in terms of story and presentation.

GhanBuriGhan September 8th, 2011 10:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by DArtagnan (Post 1061091213)
Will definitely check this out. Din's Curse is one of the strongest indie games out there, even if it still lacks a certain something in terms of story and presentation.

This game has nothing to do with Din's curse, D'Artagnan, that's by Soldak. But you should still check it out ;)

DArtagnan September 8th, 2011 21:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by GhanBuriGhan (Post 1061091225)
This game has nothing to do with Din's curse, D'Artagnan, that's by Soldak. But you should still check it out ;)

Oops, wrong thread :)

Must be getting old…

RampantCoyote September 8th, 2011 21:32

I'm a fan of Soldak's stuff, so I'm not offended. Maybe Steven Peeler is… ;)

Charles-cgr September 9th, 2011 08:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by RampantCoyote (Post 1061091307)

Ooooooh will you stop that already ;)

You made an MMVI clone all by yourself while keeping a day job and writing 3200 blog posts. Steven Peeler 'd better feel super honored! Or else! :)

TheSisko September 9th, 2011 08:52

Quote:

They may not be able to sell a million copies anymore, but they don't need to!

To be fair, I don't think they ever sold, or needed to sell anywhere close to a million copies. I'm sure there have been exceptions that sold a lot more than expected, but only "AAA" games 'need' to sell a million copies and few RPGs were "AAA" until Oblivion/Mass Effect came along.

DArtagnan September 9th, 2011 09:34

Quote:

I'm glad ;)

Nah, I think the amount of effort it takes to pull off an indie title warrants enough respect to overshadow any potential offense.

Lurking Grue September 9th, 2011 15:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rampant Jay Coyote
In a handful of cases, the solution to a quest or obstacle is more of an adventure-game style puzzle - though generally pretty lightweight fare as far as that is concerned.

Ooh, this sounds really good! I've been waiting for a cRPG to have something like this. Even if it is pretty lightweight, like combining items or using a certain inventory item with some scenery/world object to solve the puzzle, it's definitely the correct direction to go, bringing depth and thought into quest solving. Two thumbs up!

P.S. Hopefully these are not word puzzles or riddles, though.

RampantCoyote September 9th, 2011 16:40

Quote:

P.S. Hopefully these are not word puzzles or riddles, though.
The closest thing to a word puzzle or riddle is 100% optional and can be defeated by brute force without too many tries (but a few healing spells). But there's nothing like a "fill in the blank" riddle or anything like that. If you are given a password or riddle answer at some point in the game, then your characters automatically provide it when asked.

And sometimes the more amusing dialog happens when they haven't yet discovered the answer.

quasimodo September 9th, 2011 16:58

I'm sold. Finish the game and I'll send you money.

GothicGothicness September 9th, 2011 22:50

oo, how about the walking/running speed?

RampantCoyote September 9th, 2011 23:39

You move slightly faster outdoors than indoors, and both are much faster than in the pilot.

Corwin September 10th, 2011 00:46

Plus, you'll often want to pause and search for hidden items both inside and outside, so you don't want to move too quickly, or you could miss stuff.

GothicGothicness September 10th, 2011 13:56

sounds great :)

sigmarsson September 11th, 2011 20:59

Must admit I really look forward to this game. The most interesting games on my radar are either idie developers or very small studios.