RPGWatch Forums

RPGWatch Forums (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Non-RPG (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Dungeon Defenders (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15140)

Drithius October 21st, 2011 00:16

Dungeon Defenders
 
Newly released on PC via Steam, but supposedly on other platforms a few months back, this indie is a blend of action rpg and tower defense…. and looks like SO MUCH FUN !

Has anyone played this one at all? Will definitely be picking it up during Steam's coming winter sale.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/65800
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R36LwKjUEk

xSamhainx October 21st, 2011 10:08

This one finally hit, last summer I was sure it was going vaporware by fall. Been following it since last fall, looks interesting. Totalbiscuit did a WTF is… on it w/ the creators, didnt impress me all that much but it looks like it has potential.

Motoki October 21st, 2011 20:21

I have it on Android. I think it's fun. I too will probably grab the Steam version on the winter sale. The Portal device and Team Fortress 2 familiars are cool bonus.

Amazon has it on sale for 20% off right now but I bet it goes at least 50% off on the Steam winter sale.

Drithius October 21st, 2011 21:43

Hmm, I was unaware of it being sold somewhere besides Steam, and on sale, no less. Impatience is starting to get the better of me and I might buy it - it's a Steamworks game, so the digital download off Amazon will still get relegated to my Steam Library which is a plus.

Motoki October 21st, 2011 22:51

Amazon has been undercutting the prices of new Steamworks releases lately. They also did it on Deus Ex and Space Marine for example. They even have a rep over at Cheapassgamer posting about it.

In this case the difference between $7.50 and $12 is not that great so I may cave as well. :p

Drithius October 22nd, 2011 04:12

Well, I bought it…. and, good golly! It's so much fun :D Going to take a little while to learn all the the ins and outs w/ no manual, but it's shaping up to be a blast.

Drithius October 22nd, 2011 19:03

I've been trying to forge ahead with this game but, despite my best efforts to enjoy the ride, my progress keeps being reset and my characters seemingly deleted (on both local and online play).

Really quite annoyed! It's a great game, but repeating the same hour or two is pissing me off. Hopefully it gets patched soon as many people on PC are having this issue.

xSamhainx October 23rd, 2011 06:02

game breaking issue. Keep us updated, plz

skavenhorde October 23rd, 2011 06:39

Not hearing good things about this game at all. Robert Boyd did a quick first impression thing on Twitter:

5 steps to build a tower, equipment split into two menus, have to run back to the crystal to start a wave then have to run back, no manual lock-on (sucks to be a ranged character) and a few other issues.

The devs replied to him saying that you could fix a lot of those issues in the settings and features.

I think I'll pass on this for awhile until I start hearing better things about it or that they fixed some of the glaring issues in a patch.

xSamhainx October 24th, 2011 22:38

i played the game demo on XBL, and just wasnt too impressed as a single player. Maybe if I was playing MP it would be different, but I just found the game to be a series of running back and forth gathering/building, then running back and forth swinging my sword thru a ton of hapless foes.

I dunno, probably didnt give it a real fair shake as I played about 5 matches, but a game has to grip me early to have a chance of standing up against my backlog of quality games.

Drithius October 24th, 2011 23:02

First things, first: the aforementioned bug that prevented character saves seems to be some issue with Steam Cloud synchronization. Maybe. :) I disabled it, started yet another character and so far, so good.

There was also a patch last night fixing some pretty silly problems that should have been caught in Q&A (this game was initially released on mobile platforms months ago afterall). One example fix: scaling the UI to non-monolithic proportions no longer leaves it floating in the middle of the screen rather than along the edges.

At its heart, this is a tower defense game. If you love TD games, you'll find this a nice hybridization of an action rpg and defense. If you're not into TD, I doubt you'll really enjoy this game since its pretty much impossible to rein in the chaos with your character's abilities alone.

70 levels + multiplayer + a pet + the ability to trade with others online makes for a very fun experience, IMO. One annoyance that I'd like to get off my chest though… this game is $2.99 for the iPad, but $14.99 for PC. ?!?

Motoki October 25th, 2011 00:09

It's free on Android. ;)

Zaleukos November 1st, 2011 10:25

I didnt get the game through steam nor play through steam, and I still had a savegame bug.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drithius (Post 1061100500)
I've been trying to forge ahead with this game but, despite my best efforts to enjoy the ride, my progress keeps being reset and my characters seemingly deleted (on both local and online play).

I had this issue one machine where I had installed to the default location.

The game didnt save characters properly on one of our PCs (possibly due to the game trying to save in the program files folder?). Reinstalling to a different location fixed the issue. I recommend exiting the game after a few level ups just to see that saving works properly. It's annoying to lose a lvl 20 character.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Drithius (Post 1061100180)
Newly released on PC via Steam, but supposedly on other platforms a few months back, this indie is a blend of action rpg and tower defense…. and looks like SO MUCH FUN !

Has anyone played this one at all? Will definitely be picking it up during Steam's coming winter sale.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/65800
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R36LwKjUEk

I've played it (coop). Havent had this much fun since Magicka:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by skavenhorde (Post 1061100585)
Not hearing good things about this game at all. Robert Boyd did a quick first impression thing on Twitter:

5 steps to build a tower, equipment split into two menus, have to run back to the crystal to start a wave then have to run back, no manual lock-on (sucks to be a ranged character) and a few other issues.

Boyd is simply wrong about one of those, and the others arent much of an issue.

- It only takes 2 or 3 steps to build a tower on the PC, depending on whether you use the number hotkey or go through the menu.

- Having to run back on the crystal is a non-issue and set in the menu (infinite build time on/off). It's always off on the insane difficulty level (you get about a minute to build and repair towers).

- Aiming as a ranged character is pretty trivial.

EDIT: He is right about the equipment menu though. It shows that the game wasnt developed for PC there. I work around this inconvenience by managing my equipment in between maps, the time limits doesnt leave me with enough time to do it during gameplay anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xSamhainx (Post 1061100890)
i played the game demo on XBL, and just wasnt too impressed as a single player. Maybe if I was playing MP it would be different, but I just found the game to be a series of running back and forth gathering/building, then running back and forth swinging my sword thru a ton of hapless foes.

That's pretty much all there is to the game. It's simple fun if you enjoy mindless slaughter, but wont do much for you if you feel like more intellectual pursuits:)


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:57.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch