RPGWatch Forums

RPGWatch Forums (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Comments (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   South Park RPG - Good Times With Weapons: The Combat (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15678)

Dhruin December 13th, 2011 22:33

South Park RPG - Good Times With Weapons: The Combat

GameInformer has an interview with Matt MacLean, Lead Designer on Obsidian's South Park RPG. It's a 6 minute direct to camera conversation with only a couple of still shots to break it up but - here's the accompanying blurb:
Quote:

Combine Obsidian Entertainment's extensive knowledge of RPG design with the personal gaming tastes of South Park's Matt Stone and Trey Parker and you end up with the combat mechanics of South Park: The Game. Taking cues from the Paper Mario series, the combat is a turn-based exercise that depends largely on the player's active and precise participation. Matt MacLean is the lead designer on the game and he sat down with us to talk about the tone of the overall game, the mechanics of combat, and what the South Park RPG has learned from Final Fantasy 7.
More information.

KapitanUnterhosen December 13th, 2011 22:33

Bwahahahahahaha

JDR13 December 14th, 2011 00:29

I think it's safe to assume that combat wil not be its strongest aspect.

Dez December 14th, 2011 01:03

I still can't belive that Obsidian is doing a south park game. Their talent is truly wasted. Hopefully south park guys pay them good and hopefully it allows obsidian to make real rpgs in the future.

Kefka December 14th, 2011 01:56

I was interested in this game, until I realized Obsidian was making it.

sakichop December 14th, 2011 05:34

why is it we can't make real turned based rpg's because there's no market for it but we can make turn based comedy rpg's. WTF.

We're not just making fun of games we're kicking old time gamers square in the nuts.

Carnifex December 14th, 2011 06:12

I'm still laughing over this absurd idea. The scary thing is, somewhere someone actually thinks this is a good idea…..

-Carn

Thaurin December 14th, 2011 10:05

I like how elitist @#$%— I mean cRPG fans fume over this.

DArtagnan December 14th, 2011 10:12

I love how the casual-console-gamer-carebear-fanbois salivate over this mess!

holeraw December 14th, 2011 11:00

You guys forgot to mention that it will also totally suck because it's going to use the DS3 engine!

Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Obsidian making a South Park game with combat inspired by Final Fantasy with the DS3 engine! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes… The dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!

Thaurin December 14th, 2011 11:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by DArtagnan (Post 1061112445)
I love how the casual-console-gamer-carebear-fanbois salivate over this mess!

I wouldn't throw a hissy fit if Square Enix was making a proper spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate II, though!

DArtagnan December 14th, 2011 11:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaurin (Post 1061112455)
I wouldn't throw a hissy fit if Square Enix was making a proper spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate II, though!

Sometimes, throwing a hissy fit is less about the reason than the person ;)

Starwars December 14th, 2011 13:45

We need more fantasy roleplaying games where you are the chosen one and save the world. Less of these… other things, yuck! I just can't take comedy seriously.

rossrjensen December 14th, 2011 18:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starwars (Post 1061112473)
We need more fantasy roleplaying games where you are the chosen one and save the world. Less of these… other things, yuck! I just can't take comedy seriously.

Ha ha - can't take comedy seriously…that's gold.

figment December 15th, 2011 06:55

Sort of surprised by the hatred but then again not really. I'm mostly indifferent since I don't follow South Park and really my only issue is this means Obsidian isn't working on something else I want more. But I hope they succeed as Obsidian failing doesn't mean we get more RPGs we want.

Tragos December 16th, 2011 16:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by holeraw (Post 1061112450)
combat inspired by Final Fantasy

It is interesting to see from where some people are drawing inspiration , genocide , testicular cancer , the sound of the growing crops , final fantasy combat.