RPGWatch Forums
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 Last »

RPGWatch Forums (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   The Hobbit Trailer (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15749)

bloodlover December 21st, 2011 10:34

The Hobbit Trailer
 
Finally here !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0k3k…47FOAAAAAAAAAA

JonNik December 21st, 2011 10:54

Well, if looks could kill (or make a movie for that)…

I await with nervous (or rather apprehensive) anticipation.
At least they didn't show Legolas in the trailer :roll:

DArtagnan December 21st, 2011 10:56

I have no sound, but it certainly looks exactly like Lord of the Rings. Not sure if that's good or bad.

I loved FotR, but I found Jackson made too many unnecessary changes overall. Based on images alone, The Hobbit looks more like slapstick than the kind of approach I'd prefer.

But ok, it's more of a childrens tale.

JonNik December 21st, 2011 11:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by DArtagnan (Post 1061113926)
I loved FotR, but I found Jackson made too many unnecessary changes overall. Based on images alone, The Hobbit looks more like slapstick than the kind of approach I'd prefer.

But ok, it's more of a childrens tale.

Well, if Jackson managed to turn the somber LOTR to slapstick at places, imagine what he will do to the light hearted Hobbit…

I expect it to be forcedly and cheaply funny at places and uncharacteristically dark at others. Just so long as it turns the books mood and character on its head ;)

Frozen Fireball December 21st, 2011 14:05

Good trailer. Not mind blowing, but not disappointing either. I agree it looks exactly like LoTR. I could hardly tell any differences in terms of overall mood and feeling. Sure it will be one of the points of criticism for the movie when it gets released. Although I personally don't have any problems with it.

blatantninja December 21st, 2011 14:23

Agree that Jackson made some changes to LotR that I would not have made, but overall I thought it was masterful. I'm glad that Hobbit has the same look and feel though. I really hate when movies are in the same universe (or in this case storyline) but have significant different feels to them.

EvilManagedCare December 21st, 2011 14:37

I enjoyed both the Hobbit & LotR books and by no means am an expert on the content or lore.

However, Wikipedia lists Saruman, Galadriel & Radaghast as characters in the upcoming films. I do not recall any of them being in the Hobbit, or am I forgetting?

I expect they are trying to tie it in with the LotR films, which I understand is the price for a film adaptation. Hopefully it won't be some tedious love story a la Aragorn-Arwen as in Return of the King, maybe something about Saruman's & Radaghast's unrequited love?

Glyphwright December 21st, 2011 14:38

Let's hope they won't start shooting a sequel to The Return of the King after this.

Quote:

However, Wikipedia lists Saruman, Galadriel & Radaghast as characters in the upcoming films. I do not recall any of them being in the Hobbit, or am I forgetting?
At some point in the novel, Gandalf announces he needs to meet with the White Council and vanishes for a good part of the story. Since Saruman and Galadriel are both on the White Council, I suppose they intend to fill in the blanks and tell the story from Gandalf's point of view. Remember, at the end of the Hobbit novel Gandalf said he and his allies drove the Necromancer (Sauron) away from Dol Guldur in Mirkwood, which would work perfectly as a wizard battle scene for the second Hobbit movie (yes, there will be two, the second one working seamlessly into the Fellowship of the Ring).

blatantninja December 21st, 2011 14:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilManagedCare (Post 1061113961)
Hopefully it won't be some tedious love story a la Aragorn-Arwen as in Return of the King, maybe something about Saruman's & Radaghast's unrequited love?

Let's hope not. That would be awful.

Dez December 21st, 2011 16:25

I liked the trailer, it feels like middle earth. Its good that hobit films are going to be coherent with lotr films.

danutz_plusplus December 21st, 2011 16:27

Loved the trailer. I can't wait for the movie. I loved the musicality of it. And it looks great. I just hope the 3D won't mess it up. But Peter did say he will do 3D as it hasn't been done before, so that's an interesting claim. Anyway, I can't wait for the movie. :D

Tanno December 21st, 2011 17:25

For a moment, I thought it was based from the PC game, but now I see it will concentrate the everyday life of the Hobbits within the trilogy movies.

Alrik Fassbauer December 21st, 2011 19:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glyphwright (Post 1061113962)
Remember, at the end of the Hobbit novel Gandalf said he and his allies drove the Necromancer (Sauron) away from Dol Guldur in Mirkwood, which would work perfectly as a wizard battle scene for the second Hobbit movie

I do fear that Mr. Jackson will do exactly that - and turn a children's book (as The Hobbit was intended to be) into the dream of a … horror movie director ?

Harlequin December 21st, 2011 19:17

I admit I spunked in my pants.. just saying.

JDR13 December 21st, 2011 19:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilManagedCare (Post 1061113961)
However, Wikipedia lists Saruman, Galadriel & Radaghast as characters in the upcoming films. I do not recall any of them being in the Hobbit, or am I forgetting?

I don't have a problem with those characters making cameos since, as Glyphwright pointed out, they're at least mentioned (sort of) in the book.

What really bugs me is Orlando Bloom making an appearance as Legolas so they can sell more tickets to teenage girls.

Jaz December 21st, 2011 19:33

I don't really mind as long as the finished flick has dwarves ^^.

BillSeurer December 21st, 2011 20:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDR13 (Post 1061114027)
What really bugs me is Orlando Bloom making an appearance as Legolas so they can sell more tickets to teenage girls.

Why? Undoubtedly Legolas was there just not named in The Hobbit. He is the son of the King of the Elves of Mirkwood after all.

JDR13 December 21st, 2011 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillSeurer (Post 1061114039)
Why? Undoubtedly Legolas was there just not named in The Hobbit. He is the son of the King of the Elves of Mirkwood after all.

I'm pretty sure that has nothing to do with why he's in The Hobbit though. :)

I just don't like Jackson taking liberties with a story like The Hobbit. It bothered me a lot in some parts of LotR, and I already know it's going to irk me with this movie.

Harlequin December 21st, 2011 20:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDR13 (Post 1061114045)
I'm pretty sure that has nothing to do with why he's in The Hobbit though. :)

I just don't like Jackson taking liberties with a story like The Hobbit. It bothered me a lot in some parts of LotR, and I already know it's going to irk me with this movie.

Couple points

You can't make a literal translation of the books. Won't work on film.

Stop comparing the books to the movies and you will enjoy the movies much better. As PJ said himself look at the movies as a interpretation of the books not a translation.

Lastly, the estate of JRRT is VERY protective of his works, if they did not like the changes PJ has made/is making they would step in. Clearly if the estate is happy with the final product there shouldn't be a lot of issue.

Glyphwright December 21st, 2011 20:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillSeurer (Post 1061114039)
Why? Undoubtedly Legolas was there just not named in The Hobbit. He is the son of the King of the Elves of Mirkwood after all.

I'm pretty sure the character didn't even exist in Tolkien's mind at that point.

Quote:

I just don't like Jackson taking liberties with a story like The Hobbit.
That's unavoidable, the Hobbit won't look very well on the big screen unless someone takes liberties with it. Unless you feel like being very bored for long periods of time for no reason. Remember, there is a point in the story when a major character just ups and leaves, and comes back at the end with no satisfying motives or accomplishments that relate to the plot of the book. And a point when all the major characters are basically in a deadlock and can't do anything about it, until a completely random hitherto unheard of person kills the main villain in a stroke of blind luck. And then an army of monsters comes out of nowhere and starts attacking everyone.

Personally, I hope Jackson has the time and the nerve to start filming various epic stories from the Silmarillion after the Hobbit is done.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:14.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 Last »

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch