RPGWatch Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2

RPGWatch Forums (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Comments (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Drakensang - The Dark Eye - Dev Diary #5 Now Available (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1580)

Corwin March 30th, 2007 14:17

Drakensang - The Dark Eye - Dev Diary #5 Now Available
 
The latest Developer Diary is now up at the official site, and it's all about game design. It's quite short, so head on over and take a look. You'll find it right here .

More information.

Brother None March 30th, 2007 14:17

Not official site. Fansite.

Darkmoon March 30th, 2007 14:39

I can't wait for this game… I even ordered the latest version of the Pen&Paper-ruleset to dive into the world of the Dark Eye again…

narpet March 30th, 2007 16:33

I'm excited about this game as well… though I have to admit that when I first heard of it's development I was hoping for a Realms of Arkania part 4, which this is not going to be.

I hope that they try to leave some of the complexity that was contained in those games in this one. If it just ends up being an Oblivion clone I'll be truly disappointed. I may still buy it of course because it could still be fun. But it would be so much better if they would take a chance and make the game more like the PnP rules from which it gets its name.

Alrik Fassbauer March 30th, 2007 21:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kharn (Post 24184)
Not official site. Fansite.

At least semi-official. Because the developers talk about these entries in the officioal forum, too. At least at their German-language counterparts, which you might regard as "not official", too, because no-one know knows only the English language understands these entries.

And by the way, the diaries call themselves "official", too.

Now who is more right, you or the ones posting the diary ?

Brother None March 30th, 2007 21:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer (Post 24254)
Now who is more right, you or the ones posting the diary ?

…Are you serious? Because I (disclaimer: and Avantenor) *am* the one posting the diaries.

Alrik Fassbauer March 30th, 2007 22:04

I don't look into profiles. Regularly.
And don't call my web photo album an "official" one !

Corwin March 31st, 2007 05:38

It has been corrected. Sorry, but I was half asleep when I posted that newsbit late last night.

Avantenor April 1st, 2007 15:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer (Post 24254)
At least semi-official. Because the developers talk about these entries in the officioal forum, too. At least at their German-language counterparts, which you might regard as "not official", too, because no-one know knows only the English language understands these entries.

Alrik: I think you mixed up some things. Corwin originally wrote "at the official site" which is not correct, although it is the official dev diary.

To make this clear: The dev diaries are official, just like RPGWatch's Legend Dev Diary is official. It's a cooperation between publisher Anaconda and fansites. We get these diaries directly from Anaconda, Vasilii/Kharn makes some adjustments and then we publish it at the same time as the german diary on german fansite Drakensang-Welten. But we and our site are not affiliated with Anaconda in any way. The official site for drakensang is drakensang.com. Discussions are mainly in the official forum simply because most fans visit these forums regularly. Our forum for drakensang.info/.net is located at globalgameport.com. You could discuss these diaries there also (and in fact nobody is doing atm), but the chance to get an official dev statement is "rather short" (german insider ;)).
Quote:

Originally Posted by narpet (Post 24204)
I'm excited about this game as well… though I have to admit that when I first heard of it's development I was hoping for a Realms of Arkania part 4, which this is not going to be.

I hope that they try to leave some of the complexity that was contained in those games in this one. If it just ends up being an Oblivion clone I'll be truly disappointed. I may still buy it of course because it could still be fun. But it would be so much better if they would take a chance and make the game more like the PnP rules from which it gets its name.

Don't be afraid. Oblivion represents a completely different RPG-style than Drakensang. Oblivion is a simulation of a game world, DraSa is more story driven like Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights 2 and is not a simulation at all.
Don't know much about the gameplay, but next month there is a Role Play Convention in Germany and rumour says, Anaconda is going to present some new informations about Drakensang. Because Legend is also presented (as playable Demo. Gorath are you there, too?) I'm going to that RPC. If there are new informations, I try to write some lines about it.

I would like to know how that "hitzone-based" combat system will look like. Hitzones are not part of the TDE standard combat system, but some optional expert rules. You can choose to attack a special hitzone, like head, breast, etc. Would be quite interesting to see how this affects the gameplay and if using these techniques rewards the player or if simple hack & slay will do so also.

Brother None April 1st, 2007 21:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avantenor (Post 24407)
I would like to know how that "hitzone-based" combat system will look like. Hitzones are not part of the TDE standard combat system, but some optional expert rules. You can choose to attack a special hitzone, like head, breast, etc.

They're not? Remember this? Targeted hits are a standard part of that edition (2nd edition, I think). They may have been later removed (I don't know, I didn't play TDE much after 2nd), but they were there then.

PS: though you could play without them, if that's what you mean with "not a part of the standard combat system"

Avantenor April 1st, 2007 21:59

I have to confess, I did not play TDE before 4.0. For 4th edition it is not standard, maybe to make starting with TDE easier. I can imagine that this rule is not a new feature.

If this feature is implemented in DraSa it could make the game a lot more tactical than i.e. Baldur's Gate. There are also these keywords "formation" and "powerful team maneuver". But atm everything is a little bit foggy.

Brother None April 2nd, 2007 00:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avantenor (Post 24436)
I have to confess, I did not play TDE before 4.0. For 4th edition it is not standard, maybe to make starting with TDE easier. I can imagine that this rule is not a new feature.

If this feature is implemented in DraSa it could make the game a lot more tactical than i.e. Baldur's Gate. There are also these keywords "formation" and "powerful team maneuver". But atm everything is a little bit foggy.

Well, obviously the rule is always optional, because in the basic TDE 2.0 rules, and probably in 4.0 as well, you never had a "called shot" or whatever you want to call a targeted hit unless you actually called it. Hence, if nobody ever said he was aiming for the head, the rule went unused.

We used it quite a lot. The rules for aiming were tough, though, and rarely worth it unless you had a really high offense rating.

Also also; you can't have tactics without turn-based! grrrrlol!

Gorath April 2nd, 2007 02:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avantenor (Post 24407)
Don't know much about the gameplay, but next month there is a Role Play Convention in Germany and rumour says, Anaconda is going to present some new informations about Drakensang. Because Legend is also presented (as playable Demo. Gorath are you there, too?) I'm going to that RPC. If there are new informations, I try to write some lines about it.

I don´t think I´ll be there. Münster is not that far away, but driving 90 minutes to play one game and see another one doesn´t sound so attractive.

crpgnut April 2nd, 2007 15:53

Gorath, you consider a 90 minute drive long? I drive 70 minutes every day just to get to work :D I remember my Dad's friend came over to visit from England. In emails he had talked to Dad about wanting to drive across country to see the sights. After 3 days of 14 hours/day driving, John kept muttering, "This country is just really big isn't it?" What's funny is they only crossed half the country :)

Corwin April 3rd, 2007 00:54

Here, anything up to 2 hours is a short drive!! I'll drive 2 hours to my favourite beach, spend the day there and drive the same distance home. There are MUCH closer beaches, but they're too overcrowded for me!! :)

Dhruin April 4th, 2007 01:31

90 mins = drive to work in bad traffic. :)

Wulf April 4th, 2007 10:10

I'm more concerned about how the Tatzelwurm was created…..not sure if they're mythical or real.

Avantenor April 4th, 2007 11:14

Creation of the Tatzelwurm is the topic of the next dev diary.

What do you mean by mythical or real?

Wulf April 4th, 2007 13:17

The Tatzelwurm is generally taken as a folklore creature yet there have been real sightings? of such a monsters/beasts in the Swiss Alps etc'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatzelwurm

http://www.newanimal.org/tatzel.htm

http://www.occultopedia.com/t/tatzelwurm1.htm

http://www.drakensang.info/images/zo…tatzelwurm.jpg

Maybe adding a touch of realism to Drakensang, i personally think they are just folklore.

Avantenor April 4th, 2007 17:40

Uhm, the tatzelwurm is eradicated, I think. By the stone louse. ;)


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:34.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch