RPGWatch Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

RPGWatch Forums (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Comments (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Wasteland 2 - Kickstarter Passes 500k (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16545)

Dhruin March 14th, 2012 06:53

Wasteland 2 - Kickstarter Passes 500k

InXile's Kickstarter has just passed $500k. I won't keep highlighting the numbers - apart from major milestones - but over half way in a day is worth mentioning.
If you haven't pledged - give it some thought. While I think this will send a message to publishers, I don't think they'll be listening - they're too focused on blockbusters. I do, however, think this holds enormous potential for encouraging developers to try alternative methods and attempt those 'B' games that are mostly no longer made. Don't think about your $15 just buying a copy of Wasteland 2 - think of it as inspiration for those games that might now get made.
More information.

Demiath March 14th, 2012 06:53

I saw that and I really hope it reaches 1,5 million before April 17th, as that figure seems to be Brian Fargo's unofficial "let's get even more serious about this" threshold. From reading the Kickstarter description there's a real sense that anything above the required 900K gets us more cool stuff in the game…

Pessimeister March 14th, 2012 07:07

You make some good points there Dhruin; all of which have the potential to raise my hope meter to almost intolerable levels. ;)

For instance, if Wasteland 2 is succesful enough at catering to the old-school crowd and follows through with its party-based and turn based combat model,
I'd love to see Fargo and Co. attempt a real Bard's Tale 4 in that same tradition, even though I know it's unlikely to ever happen. I know there's an online petition for it somewhere though, so you never know!
But let's just enjoy watching this kickstarter project flourish for now eh? Who knows what the consequences of success (or failure…) might be.

rossrjensen March 14th, 2012 07:28

This is so awesome. I hope it turns out to be everything I hope it can be. Can I be a part of your Wasteland team Inexile? I have no experience in the video game field, but have a graduate degree (with a bachelor's in literature) and am artistic and creative. A sequel to the game that inspired Fallout, with the perspectives and mechanics of the games from my glory days in video gaming (Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Planescape, Icewind Dale)…with modern visuals and maybe more voice to go along with the text?

So much potential here. I pledged money when I saw they had started. I hope they make boatloads to make the game as big as possible.

bjon045 March 14th, 2012 07:48

I assume you also have to pay for shipping if you pledge enough for the boxed edition?

GhanBuriGhan March 14th, 2012 08:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjon045 (Post 1061132270)
I assume you also have to pay for shipping if you pledge enough for the boxed edition?

$15 for international shipping - see the FAQ

Impressive how quickly this went up!

Stingray March 14th, 2012 08:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjon045 (Post 1061132270)

Only if you are outside the US. In the FAQ, it says to please add $15 to your pledge (above the minimum for the reward level you selected, I guess) if you are outside the US.

Bargeral March 14th, 2012 08:51

I am astonished that they have 4 (of 8) 10k backers. I am also unfamiliar with Kickstarter, is this pledge vetted or guaranteed in some way? I am assuming it's not just some kid clicking buttons.

Dhruin March 14th, 2012 09:05

You need to authorise payment up front - credit card etc, which goes through Amazon Payments. If they are kids, they're kids with decent credit card limits.

Ferris_bg March 14th, 2012 09:21

I would have also support them if they had alternative payment options.

stealth March 14th, 2012 09:23

Basically you pay through Amazon which then reserve the amount you pledged. If the Kickstarter is successful your payment will go through when the Kickstarter ends. Kinda like a pre-order. You can alter your pledge amount at any time or you can even cancel it. The latter is of course discouraged.

[Edit] Dhurin beat me to it :)

Ball_Breaker March 14th, 2012 09:33

I'm glad to see those numbers, it seems that Wasteland 2 will see the light :).
I also appreciate this kickstarter model, if only more projects were financed with this method probably we'd see more quality games…

holeraw March 14th, 2012 09:38

What the hell, I made a pledge for the message. Though I would hate instead of sending the message that I want old school RPGs (but honestly, not as old as 1988!) to send the message that I will blindly pay for the promise of a game as long as it carries the name of an old classic. I just wish they'd have followed Double Fine's approach by simply promising an old school RPG instead of letting it be known straight away that it's a Wasteland sequel.

Twotricks March 14th, 2012 09:42

Only problem
They do not accept paypal :(

wiretripped March 14th, 2012 10:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twotricks (Post 1061132288)
Only problem
They do not accept paypal :(

Same here. I was looking to back the project, but… Alas. I lack a credit card.

lumiapina March 14th, 2012 10:53

Pledged $30. I never played the original, but this might be interesting, so why not.

guenthar March 14th, 2012 12:23

I don't have a credit card but I have a debit card I use so it's not a problem for me but I'm still not sure since I didn't really like Wasteland.

Twotricks March 14th, 2012 12:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by guenthar (Post 1061132304)
I don't have a credit card but I have a debit card I use so it's not a problem for me but I'm still not sure since I didn't really like Wasteland.

But you like turn based rpgs ?

screeg March 14th, 2012 13:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferris_bg (Post 1061132282)
I would have also support them if they had alternative payment options.

I queried inXile and got a reply: Steam will not be mandatory and they will be exploring other DD options. Woohoo! (this is important to me at least)

Quote:

Don't think about your $15 just buying a copy of Wasteland 2 - think of it as inspiration for those games that might now get made.
I think of the $15 as purchasing a copy of Wasteland. You make it sound like that's some sort of consolation prize.

Ferris_bg March 14th, 2012 13:12

Thats good news screeg!

Btw, just imagine if the project gets more funding and attention what this game could become - the Fallout 3 we never got!