RPGWatch Forums

RPGWatch Forums (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Comments (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Mass Effect 3 - The Probletunity of Mordin Solus (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16966)

Dhruin April 28th, 2012 08:34

Mass Effect 3 - The Probletunity of Mordin Solus

BioWare has posted a video of a PAX panel featuring writers Patrick Weekes and John Dombrow discussing the creation and evolution of Mordin Solus:
Quote:

Part of the reason why the writers of Mass Effect have a great time while on the job is the fact that they get to create and breathe life into so many memorable characters found throughout the series. However, an interesting problem presented itself when senior writer Patrick Weekes was tasked with creating the architect of the Krogan genophage in the Mass Effect universe. This simple concept turned into the genesis of Mordin Solus, and the trick to creating this memorable character, as with others in the series, lay in the depth he had to offer.
In the following video, you’ll be treated to a character discussion of Mordin Solus, as explained by Patrick Weekes and senior writer John Dombrow at the “BioWare and Mass Effect” panel at PAX East 2012. Take a look at how Mordin was created, how he evolved over the series, and of course, how the writers decided to send off the scientist Salarian.
More information.

borcanu April 28th, 2012 08:34

one of the few moments in me3 I enjoyed. Good job writers. If not for this NPC I would've considered me3 not worth the effort of playing it for free

Alrik Fassbauer April 28th, 2012 11:45

What does this word mean ?

Quote:

Probletunity
It doesn't appear within my dictionaries.

Dhruin April 28th, 2012 12:05

It's not a real word. It would make sense if you knew the character.

fatBastard() April 28th, 2012 12:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer (Post 1061141083)
What does this word mean ?

It doesn't appear within my dictionaries.

Problem and opportunity mixed together.

Alrik Fassbauer April 28th, 2012 12:38

Ah, okay, thanks.

basharran April 28th, 2012 12:55

Mordin was my favourite character from his introduction onward and I was very pleased to meet him again in ME3. Nice job from these writers indeed.

DeepO April 28th, 2012 15:24

Best Bioware character bar none (and genophage is the best Bioware story arc).

Grifman April 29th, 2012 04:54

I just wish they had spent as much time discussing the ending . . . :(

aries100 April 29th, 2012 21:52

Also tune means someting as well….

As Dhruin says, if you know the character and the story arc it all makes sense…

KapitanUnterhosen April 29th, 2012 23:27

I thought his last appearance in ME3 was done really well, I was hoping most characters would get that kind of treatment.

fatBastard() April 30th, 2012 07:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by aries100 (Post 1061141320)
Also tune means someting as well….

As Dhruin says, if you know the character and the story arc it all makes sense…

Ah yes, the whole Gilbert & Sullivan thing … it seem that probletunity is a very fitting word to use about Mordin :lol:

Pessimeister April 30th, 2012 08:37

Just for future reference (to Alrik especially) and for all of the lingophiles, it's called a portmanteau.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portmanteau

Once I finally do get to play ME3, I'm assuming Mordin won't appear if I transfer my savegame, because at the conclusion of ME2 he died a rather ignoble death doing a job he wasn't completely prepared to do.

kalniel April 30th, 2012 11:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pessimeister (Post 1061141389)
Once I finally do get to play ME3, I'm assuming Mordin won't appear if I transfer my savegame, because at the conclusion of ME2 he died a rather ignoble death doing a job he wasn't completely prepared to do.

Indeed. He is replaced with a 'Salarian scientist' to fulfil exactly the same story role.

Maylander April 30th, 2012 14:06

Mordin rocks. He's one of my favorite characters, along with Legion, Garrus and Wrex. A lot of good dialogues and stories involving those characters.

purpleblob May 1st, 2012 03:20

I agree ^^ I love Mordin. One of my favourite talk/scene in ME2 was Mordin singing (unlike Leliana in DA:O). Like you, Maylander, I also loved Legion and Garrus (but not Wrex….)