RPGWatch Forums

RPGWatch Forums (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Comments (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Kickstarter - Dark Meridian (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16978)

Dhruin April 29th, 2012 11:46

Kickstarter - Dark Meridian
 
I've created a category for Kickstarter, since we now get a couple of press releases a week for projects - though most of them are outside the genres we cover.
Dark Meridian is probably outside our coverage but here's one post to gauge the interest. They are seeking $150k and seem to have a fair amount of the game completed:
Quote:

Dark Meridian is an exciting new fusion of RTS, RPG, and 3rd person shooter. It gives you a persistent RPG-like character with attributes, skill trees, and equipment, and lets you take that character into battle as a fighter, a squad leader, and a commander.
Characters gain levels and are given points that can be used to increase their abilities and attributes. Weapons and armor are awarded to players according to their actions in each battle. How you play and the choices you make when leveling your character will allow you to build a character that best fits your play style, whether that be a hand-to-hand fighter, a ranged marksman, an arcane mage, an efficient commander, or some combination of those.
Players can choose to be in the midst of battle as a combatant and squad leader or they can act as a commander, building their town and defenses. Players are free to switch between commander and combatant as the battle dictates. It is up to the commander to place buildings, decide which technologies to research and which units to recruit. As a combatant, players join the battle from a close 3rd person perspective; they can ride mounts, man siege engines, and command a small squad of AI characters.
The game is built around multiplayer team based play along with single player and cooperative play against AI. Matches are highly customizable, allowing up to four teams with any combination of AI and/or human squad leaders and commanders. There are numerous options to customize a match, including an open world map system that allows for thousands of possible map variations.
More information.

borcanu April 29th, 2012 11:46

The graphic design is not bad, but I hate the game design, mashing 3 things together just gives you more room for failure, and I'm really not in the mood for another medieval-fantasy game

Monolith April 29th, 2012 13:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dhruin (Post 1061141255)
I've created a category for Kickstarter, since we now get a couple of press releases a week for projects - though most of them are outside the genres we cover.
Dark Meridian is probably outside our coverage but here's one post to gauge the interest. They are seeking $150k and seem to have a fair amount of the game completed:
More information.

The Kickstarter-Page says $250k.

Looks way to overambitious, don't see how this can be more than a playground that gets boring too quickly, but I'm simply very sceptic when it comes to such genre unifying titles.

Gokyabgu April 29th, 2012 13:18

When this Kickstarter movement occurs, I saw it as a way for return of old RPG gameplay. But all we see is some weird hybrids, which are RPG, RTS, FPS, action, bla bla at the same time. What I want is pure RPGs and I'm not going to pledge any more money until real RPG projects emerge. Too bad Tortured Hearts (pure RPG) can't reach its goal, but they won't give up and try to make a demo for more stronger Kickstarter campaign. It seems I'm going to keep my money for Dead State and I'm considering of increasing my pledge to Grim Dawn.

Dhruin April 29th, 2012 13:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monolith (Post 1061141263)
The Kickstarter-Page says $250k.

Thanks - corrected on the front page.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gokyabgu (Post 1061141265)
When this Kickstarter movement occurs, I saw it as a way for return of old RPG gameplay. But all we see is some weird hybrids, which are RPG, RTS, FPS, action, bla bla at the same time. What I want is pure RPGs and I'm not going to pledge any more money until real RPG projects emerge. Too bad Tortured Hearts (pure RPG) can't reach its goal, but they won't give up and try to make a demo for more stronger Kickstarter campaign. It seems I'm going to keep my money for Dead State and I'm considering of increasing my pledge to Grim Dawn.

I don't disagree, though you'll note readers were interested in Legends of Eisenwald. I'm trying to weed out the completely-not-our-thing ones and watch the level of interest in others.

rune_74 April 29th, 2012 15:47

I don't know…I pledged to FTL which I played a demo for which was a cool spaceship roguelike…I guess seeing any interesting kickstarter projects is cool for me. I just paid my amount to shadowrun returns.

I'm not sure being all exclusive old school rpg thing is the right way to go.

darklord April 30th, 2012 15:15

Hmm not sure I fancy this.

Legends of Eisenwald is a go though. :)

Daniel.

holeraw April 30th, 2012 15:33

Any developer that describes his game as 'ground-breaking' and 'the next evolution in gameplay' before it's even completed has already shot himself in the foot as far as I'm concerned.

And seriously 250,000? It makes me wonder how these people ever managed to make games two months ago.

Santos April 30th, 2012 18:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by holeraw (Post 1061141495)
Any developer that describes his game as 'ground-breaking' and 'the next evolution in gameplay' before it's even completed has already shot himself in the foot as far as I'm concerned.

And seriously 250,000? It makes me wonder how these people ever managed to make games two months ago.

I have to agree, the language turned me off as well. Also, it's hard to tell, when seeing early (yet publicly presented) footage like this, if they are actually happy with some systems, or if everything is on the table for improvement. For example, the way that the character fired off those spells(?) reminded me of the stilted mechanics of Sacred 2, where the character physics was more like Combat, for the Atari 2600, than it was, say, D3's barbarian… doing anything (whatever D3's other failings, they did get that right).

killias2 April 30th, 2012 19:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by darklord (Post 1061141491)
Hmm not sure I fancy this.

Legends of Eisenwald is a go though. :)

Daniel.

I finally bit and funded LoE as well. I saw the Disciples II comparisons, played some Disciples II, then bit.

That makes.. 6 Kickstarter games for me: Double Fine's adventure (just did it because it seemed like a cheap ticket for a big event), Wasteland 2 (I dropped 100 dollars on this.. everything else gets 15), FTL, Banner Saga, Shadowrun, and Eisenwald.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:05.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch