RPGWatch Forums
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 Last »

RPGWatch Forums (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Comments (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   RPGWatch Feature - Divinity: Original Sin Preview (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17230)

Dhruin May 28th, 2012 22:37

RPGWatch Feature - Divinity: Original Sin Preview

Larian Studios is working on a new Divinity game, which we had the opportunity to see. A game that brings us back to playing style we know from the original Divine Divinity - but with a few surprises…who would have expected a turn-based Divinity game?
Quote:

A few weeks ago I was invited by Swen Vincke to visit Larian Studios and have a look at both Dragon Commander and their newDivinity game. I did not want to let that opportunity pass, so a week later I drove to their studio in Gent (Belgium). I didnít go their unprepared but came with a list of question about Divinity 3, like what improvements were made to dragon flight, if the dragon had ground combat, if the game would go in the same direction as its predecessor or be less of an action game and many questions more. A list I quickly found out was useless as they are not makingDivinity 3; they are making Divinity: Original Sin - a prequel toDivine Divinity - a game that inherits everything that was good from the first Divinity, adds a lot of new features to enhance it even further and is Swen's hope to getting his Ultima VII vibe back. It was quite an amazing experience.
Read it all here.
More information.

Dhruin May 28th, 2012 22:37

Awesome news…

Gorath May 28th, 2012 22:40

Yes, sounds great.

quasimodo May 28th, 2012 22:43

This is the best news I have had since the WL2 kickstarter. I loved the original DD and the only thing that would have made it better would have been TB combat.

Thrasher May 28th, 2012 22:46

Another one to keep my eyes on. I need more eyes. ;)

TheMadGamer May 28th, 2012 22:55

The game looks to be fantastic. There are a few games that touch on the 'U7 vibe' such as Gothic 1 & 2 and Arx Fatalis. But this game looks like it could be a direct hit. Can't wait to learn more about it and eventually play it. Thanks for the fantastic article - it touched on everything I wanted to know about the game as it exists at this point.

darkling May 28th, 2012 23:01

Wow!!!!!

Arhu May 28th, 2012 23:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDR13 (Post 1061146050)
Ok… I'm officially excited now. :excited:

Same here. :excited:

Lemonhead May 28th, 2012 23:08

I'm in!

Black Rune May 28th, 2012 23:22

Great news! I love the first DD.
Larian is preparing a great game.
Graphics looks great and a little bit reminds me of Kings Bounty style :D

Alrik Fassbauer May 28th, 2012 23:23

I had always hoped for some banter between a man and a woman in an RPG … ;)

DPB May 28th, 2012 23:28

It sounds interesting, but I'd like to know how some of the systems work in single-player, like the dialogue.

Still, turn-based combat is a big plus, I can't stand Diablo-style clickfests and played DD in spite of not liking the combat.

JDR13 May 28th, 2012 23:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by DPB (Post 1061146066)
Still, turn-based combat is a big plus, I can't stand Diablo-style clickfests and played DD in spite of not liking the combat.

I was skeptical of Larian going with TB combat until I saw those screens and heard that we'll be controlling a four character party. I wish the party size was slightly larger, like five or six, but I'm looking forward to the switch from a single character.

Drakenreiter May 28th, 2012 23:39

Great article!

Turn-based combat is definately not a plus for me, but everything else sounds great. Bring it on!

jwmeep May 28th, 2012 23:46

Nice scoop you guys have here. And yeah, Back to Utima 7/Divine Divinity basics, Turn Based combat, all sounds good to me. I just hope the focus on multiplayer won't hurt the Single Player game. An isometric turn-based RPG only on PC/MAC. Yeah, I can see why they are publishing this one themselves.

getter77 May 28th, 2012 23:51

Well, how about that? I foresee interesting things to come indeed from the modding purpose being there from the very core——add this to the list of interesting RPGs due to land in 2013'ish thus far.

KnightPT May 29th, 2012 00:07

I realy dig this new aproach of geting back to the roots of the PC gamming.

Definately interessed in keeping an eye and ofc buy it when it comes out.

borcanu May 29th, 2012 00:19

and it all started with kickstarter. it made them see the light. THank you jesus

KnightPT May 29th, 2012 00:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by borcanu (Post 1061146080)
and it all started with kickstarter. it made them see the light. THank you jesus

Wll in this case, not realy a direct relation. This divinity game was already in the mind of sven and on the works by larian much before the kickstarter 2012 revolution ;)

But yes, i agree, kickstarter made the whole roots-concept much more solid all-round for PC gaming, that there IS market for old-school stuff.

Probably Sven / larian now thinks its much "safer" to make this divinity after seeing the kickstarter sucesses.

rune_74 May 29th, 2012 00:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMadGamer (Post 1061146056)
The game looks to be fantastic. There are a few games that touch on the 'U7 vibe' such as Gothic 1 & 2 and Arx Fatalis. But this game looks like it could be a direct hit. Can't wait to learn more about it and eventually play it. Thanks for the fantastic article - it touched on everything I wanted to know about the game as it exists at this point.

None of those games you mentioned had any ultima 7 vibe to me at all….maybe arx fatalis and ultima underworld, but surely not ultima 7.

This does look good and I loved their other games, granted the older ones more then the current ones. High hopes for that.