RPGWatch Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2

RPGWatch Forums (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Comments (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Piranha Bytes - 15 Year Anniversary Retrospective (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18322)

Dhruin October 14th, 2012 04:46

Piranha Bytes - 15 Year Anniversary Retrospective
 
It was the 15 Year Anniversary of Piranha Bytes yesterday and Thomas from Gamers.de writes in with their retrospective interview (German only - Google translation here). There are no revelations but fans will enjoy the trip down memory lane.
PCGamesHardware.de also has a (German) retrospective article.
More information.

Kostas October 14th, 2012 04:46

Trying to be too much of a tease for my taste. They answered "who knows" to both questions about crowdfunding and a new Gothic.

JDR13 October 14th, 2012 08:38

:worship:

Couchpotato October 14th, 2012 10:00

After Risen 2 my enthusiasm for any new games from them is gone. I better get my flame shield ready.:rolleyes::whip:

Nameless one October 14th, 2012 11:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Couchpotato (Post 1061165441)
After Risen 2 my enthusiasm for any new games from them is gone. I better get my flame shield ready.:rolleyes::whip:

I somewhat agree with you.While my enthusiasm for their next game isn't gone I am more sceptical about it.Risen 2 was ok game but lot bellow their standards.

Couchpotato October 14th, 2012 11:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nameless one (Post 1061165442)
I somewhat agree with you.While my enthusiasm for their next game isn't gone I am more sceptical about it.Risen 2 was ok game but lot bellow their standards.

I agree. It wasn't a bad game just like you said it didn't live up its predecessors. It felt rushed and unfinished.

joxer October 14th, 2012 12:54

My enthusiasm isn't gone as if you check Deep Silver forums you'll notice that the game was short and with two silly and practically useless DLC because - Deep Silver wanted such game!
Also, don't you remember the quick patch, just a few days after the game got released, that improved and fixed almost every single "annoyance"? My enthusiasm is gone for Skyrim, not for Risen.

I'll agree completely that Risen2 is not as good as Gothic series and Risen1, but then again, you can't say it utterly sucks.

Twotricks October 14th, 2012 13:53

Risen 1 , and Gothic were good. But Risen 2 was piece of garbage. What does that says about the company is heading

JDR13 October 14th, 2012 15:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twotricks (Post 1061165456)
Risen 1 , and Gothic were good. But Risen 2 was piece of garbage. What does that says about the company is heading

It's hard to take you seriously with comments like that. Did you even play Risen 2? It was sub-par by PB's standards, but it was far from being garbage.

Jaesun October 14th, 2012 19:16

If PB finally did a KS Gothic (since they now own the Trademark, I am unaware if they however own the IP) it would be a huge TakeMyMoney.jpg moment for me.

DArtagnan October 14th, 2012 19:17

I thought Risen 2 was quite good, actually. I think the biggest problem was the lack of variation in the environments - but I think it was at least on par with Risen overall.

rune_74 October 15th, 2012 04:15

Hmmm, it will be interesting to see where they go. Risen 2 wasn't great and hat is their latest offering, but they have done great games in the past.

Their one attempt at matching the mainstream with gothic 3 didn't work out so well either, still fan patches comming out for that.

Kostas October 15th, 2012 04:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by rune_74 (Post 1061165533)
Hmmm, it will be interesting to see where they go. Risen 2 wasn't great and hat is their latest offering, but they have done great games in the past.

Their one attempt at matching the mainstream with gothic 3 didn't work out so well either, still fan patches comming out for that.

I'd much rather they did something similar to Gothic 3 given how we've already had a very conservative and somewhat unambitious attempt at recreating G1/G2 with Risen.

Of course they are never going to get the time and funding that a game of G3's scope and epicness requires not to mention that as long as they are tied to a publisher they will be forced to consider the various limitations of consoles when designing their games.

Pessimeister October 15th, 2012 06:59

I agree largely with Kostaz' sentiment in his first post regarding PB's "caginess" on the subject of another Gothic. C'mon, put us out of our misery already by dropping at least some kind of hint! :D

That said, I got majorly distracted with Risen 2; not sure why, but I just didn't get off the second island. I just didn't find it as immersive as Risen and the melee combat felt disappointing and certainly a step backwards.
I'm hoping to get back into it though once the Summer holidays come around. Maybe then the Gothic feeling of old will return when I have more time to dedicate to it. :)

Perhaps there's something in the original German that wasn't conveyed in the English translation of the interview though?

JDR13 October 15th, 2012 07:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pessimeister (Post 1061165551)
Perhaps there's something in the original German that wasn't conveyed in the English translation of the interview though?

That wouldn't surprise me considering how poor Google's translation seems in general.

Regarding Gothic though, I'd be happy with a simple HD remake of Gothic 1&2. :)

jhwisner October 15th, 2012 08:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDR13 (Post 1061165557)
That wouldn't surprise me considering how poor Google's translation seems in general.

Regarding Gothic though, I'd be happy with a simple HD remake of Gothic 1&2. :)

Yeah with new voice-over work maybe if that could be done on a realistic budget.

Arkadia7 October 15th, 2012 08:16

Any company that can make games like Gothic is one to pay attention to. A new game in the series would be highly anticipated and exciting news to be sure.

Gorath October 15th, 2012 11:13

I bet they would actually get a publisher for an RPG in the spirit of G3. Of course multi-platform and without the bugs. G3 was by far their biggest commercial success.

Nameless one October 15th, 2012 11:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gorath (Post 1061165577)
G3 was by far their biggest commercial success.

I am surprised by that considering how bugy G3 was on release.G3 is best PB game imo but it became playable years after it released.

Kostas October 15th, 2012 11:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gorath (Post 1061165577)
I bet they would actually get a publisher for an RPG in the spirit of G3. Of course multi-platform and without the bugs. G3 was by far their biggest commercial success.

IMHO the sheer scale and potential of G3 was what made it memorable rather than it's spirit. A certain degree of "gothicness" (even if only via characters and names like G3) has to be maintained in order to avoid being yet another vain TES knock-off.

I'm sure you're more informed on the specifics of G3's success than me but judging on the production values of the games that followed it I'm not too sure about them being able to attract that kind of investment. Of course they could be just playing (extremely) safe with Deep Silver.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:57.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch