RPGWatch Forums

RPGWatch Forums (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Comments (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   BioWare Mythic - Drops "BioWare" (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18593)

Dhruin November 9th, 2012 17:55

BioWare Mythic - Drops "BioWare"

A minor item largely out of our scope but it's interesting to read the oft-renamed Mythic - which was BioWare Mythic - has dropped the "BioWare" from their name. Is it a sign that BioWare's name is tarnished? Speculate away.
More information.

Melvil November 9th, 2012 17:55

Ironic, two years ago Mythic needed the name Bioware to stay relevant, now it's a curse. Me encanta EA

Couchpotato November 9th, 2012 20:12

Victory also dropped the Bioware label. That's two studios now. There the the ones making the F2P C&C abomination.

Arkadia7 November 10th, 2012 06:41

The BioWare name has lost its luster and is apparently becoming a drawback. Who would have thunk it. How the mighty have fallen. That said, DA 3 yet still might be a chance to restore the shine to the name, and I won't count them out just yet.

Gaxkang November 10th, 2012 10:08

A very interesting story. I think it shows that EA execs are aware that although ME3 sold well ($200m at retail) and DA2 made a profit despite lowish sales (short development cycle), these profits were realized by eating into the value of the brand. I thought the execs were too high in their ivory towers to understand this. Just waiting now for EA to assume direct control of their "divisions" in Edmonton and Montreal.

Crilloan November 10th, 2012 10:21

@Gaxkang
I agree with the conclusion that EA finally realise that they tarnished the bioware brand.
I still enjoyed ME3, even though I detested the console limitations that impacted PC gameplay. Trying DA2 for the first time now, not really agreeing with all the splatter and "anime" feel to it.

I think Bioware were put on a to high piedestal before, and that made them recieve more flak than what would be the normal case.

I really wonder were Bioware will go, there is still lots of talent there. If they dont get back in shape, who will give me my fix of story driven games?
( I have never managed to finish a sandbox game like skyrim or FO3)

C

Cacheperl November 10th, 2012 10:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaxkang (Post 1061170332)
Just waiting now for EA to assume direct control […]

Haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3h8ZnXLsRg

Quote:

If they dont get back in shape, who will give me my fix of story driven games?
( I have never managed to finish a sandbox game like skyrim or FO3)
CD Projekt, Cyanide, Larian…

They have all their drawbacks, too, though.

Lucky Day November 10th, 2012 16:28

Bioware did themselves in and has been for some time. But we argue that endlessly on these boards. It just took a $300m project to fail for EA to finally say, "hmmm..there's something about that emperor."

The name change for Mythic IIRC came shortly of the acquisition of the merged company when EA and the Mythic portion didn't see eye to eye. EA basically put Bio in charge of it.

I did some checking and KlickNation, their Facebook arm, is still Bioware Sacramento.

rune_74 November 10th, 2012 21:51

Bring on the biohate, so predictable, love the euro.

Couchpotato November 10th, 2012 23:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by rune_74 (Post 1061170371)
Bring on the biohate, so predictable, love the euro.

Well everyone can't be a paragon of internet justice like you appear to be. Right?:p

rune_74 November 11th, 2012 04:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Couchpotato (Post 1061170378)
Well everyone can't be a paragon of internet justice like you appear to be. Right?:p

Ahh but you can sure be the norm.

Couchpotato November 11th, 2012 04:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by rune_74 (Post 1061170407)
Ahh but you can sure be the norm.

You just have to chill out. People are either going to love them or hate them. It's nothing new. I have seen you do the same to other games also.