RPGWatch Forums

RPGWatch Forums (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Comments (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Obsidian Entertainment - Top 10 Developers @ Gamasutra (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18925)

Dhruin December 17th, 2012 00:46

Obsidian Entertainment - Top 10 Developers @ Gamasutra

Gamasutra has kicked up their Top 10 developers for 2012, based on the criteria "these are the developers and studios that left their mark on 2012 — the ones that the industry will be watching in the years ahead", rather than shipped games or sales volume. Obsidian made the cut:
Quote:

If Double Fine paved the dusty road between game players and game developers, it was Obsidian that turned it into a two-way street.

Double Fine proved that crowdfunding game development is viable, but it was Obsidian that made its fans feel like they were part of the team. Through constant updates, fan forums, and a constant back and forth feedback loop, the team's "Project Eternity" feels like a crowd-developed game.
More importantly, Obsidian represents a developer quickly adapting and thriving in what is a rapidly changing game development world. The studio had been struggling with bad deals and draining triple-A work, but thanks to crowdfunding, it may have reinvented itself while playing to its core strengths.

If the studio is able to sustain with Project Eternity, and even have a follow-up developed in a similar way, it will have proven that a decently-sized studio can survive and thrive by independently making the games it wants to make, for fans that want to play them.
More information.

rjshae December 17th, 2012 00:46

I've never heard of half these games. Oh well…

azarhal December 17th, 2012 01:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjshae (Post 1061175821)
I've never heard of half these games. Oh well…

You are not the only one. :)

darkling December 17th, 2012 08:28

Digital Novels? A Bust a Move clone? A tablet CCG? LOL

Couchpotato December 17th, 2012 08:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkling (Post 1061175840)

Well there a site for sophisticated developers only. There a bastion for developers with unbiased articles. Excuse while I laugh.:lol:

WorstUsernameEver December 17th, 2012 09:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkling (Post 1061175840)

Games you're not interested in. Fine. Just be aware that there's someone out there rightly laughing at your obsessions with low fantasy without guns and the other pet peeves of the notoriously petty RPG audience. :)

darkling December 17th, 2012 10:52

I like my low fantasy with guns, thank you very much!

And perhaps I shouldn't have lumped in a digital novel, which would take writing skill, and a tablet CCG, which might take game design skill, with a Bust-a-Move clone so I'll restate my incredulousness:

A BUST-A-MOVE CLONE?!?!

That's all.

WorstUsernameEver December 17th, 2012 15:05

It's good that they're not putting them in the list because of a bust-a-move game but because of their business strategy moves then.

Honestly, you're free to enjoy what you want, but the dismissive attitude was uncalled for, especially when it's clear that you gave the list a mere glance.

rjshae December 17th, 2012 16:38

Actually the Analogue visual novel approach sounds kind of intriguing. If it opens up the gaming experience for a new audience, then I'd have to say that's a good thing.