RPGWatch Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

RPGWatch Forums (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   J.J. Abrams will direct Star Wars: Episode VII :( (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19330)

JDR13 January 25th, 2013 00:41

J.J. Abrams will direct Star Wars: Episode VII :(
 
Apparently, J.J. Abrams, who previously said he wasn't interested, is going to be the director for Star Wars: Episode VII after all.

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-…221511526.html

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/articl…xclusive-74596

Me thinks this is a HUGE mistake…

Couchpotato January 25th, 2013 01:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDR13 (Post 1061181192)
Apparently, J.J. Abrams, who previously said he wasn't interested, is going to be the director for Star Wars: Episode VII after all.

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-…221511526.html

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/articl…xclusive-74596

Me thinks this is a HUGE mistake…

For once I agree. Both the screen writer and director are a mistake.:) Time will tell though.

ToddMcF2002 January 25th, 2013 01:19

What's wrong with JJ Abrams? He's a great director. Star Trek was very well done and Into Darkness looks great. We need more Star Wars like a hole in the head but that's another topic. Plus Lucas was dragging the universe into the abyss.

rjshae January 25th, 2013 03:15

I think they could have done a lot worse. Star Trek was excellent.

Lucky Day January 25th, 2013 04:09

Star Trek was a good action flick but the problem with ST movies is they are too long in between - 6 TOS movies < 72 tv shows whose purpose was to be a backdrop for serious Science Fiction stories. Of course, the only good TNG movie was First Contact which could have won the oscar for best screenplay. The reboot is going to suffer the same problems.

I hope Abrams goes back to the roots of Star Wars - no not the "first trilogy" - the thing that made the first movie great in 1977: it was a tribute to the movie serials of the 1940's (So was Indiana Jones). That's the real reason it was titled #4; not because there were any sequels or prequels planned. He should stylize it after the Flash Gordon clones - like they did in STVoyager - and not on the pervailing Star Wars lore.

Or if he doesn't, he should at least make Kevin Anderson a screenwriter and a consultant.

CountChocula January 25th, 2013 04:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Couchpotato (Post 1061181197)
For once I agree. Both the screen writer and director are a mistake.:) .

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjshae (Post 1061181214)
I think they could have done a lot worse. Star Trek was excellent.

It's going to be a hell of a lot better than the last three movies, that's for sure. And I haven't seen Oblivion yet, but Michael Arndt did a solid job as a writer on Little Miss Sunshine, Brave and Toy Story 3, this guy is much better than Lucas, and J.J. Abrams is a better director.

GhanBuriGhan January 25th, 2013 09:24

I am clearly out of touch with geekdom - I didn't even know a new episode was planned.

Maylander January 25th, 2013 09:24

I consider this good news actually. I really liked his new Star Trek approach. I'm actually pretty excited about SW7 now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GhanBuriGhan (Post 1061181236)
I am clearly out of touch with geekdom - I didn't even know a new episode was planned.

Disney bought LucasArts a while back, and announced 3 new movies in the same process.

CountChocula January 25th, 2013 09:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by GhanBuriGhan (Post 1061181236)
I am clearly out of touch with geekdom - I didn't even know a new episode was planned.

Sorry, but I'm going to have to ask for your geek membership card back.

DArtagnan January 25th, 2013 10:14

Ehm ok.

Thanks for crushing all my hopes for a good SW entirely :(

Star Trek was a piece of shit - and the less said about LOST and JJ Abrams the better.

The man represents everything that's bad about modern Hollywood.

GhanBuriGhan January 25th, 2013 10:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by countchocula (Post 1061181239)
sorry, but i'm going to have to ask for your geek membership card back.

… Out of my cold dead hands!

Gorath January 25th, 2013 10:31

Your proposal is acceptable.:gorath:

GhanBuriGhan January 25th, 2013 10:52

I'm your father, Lu… Gorath!

DArtagnan January 25th, 2013 10:57

Wow, no need to worry about geekcards I see :)

Gorath January 25th, 2013 11:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by GhanBuriGhan (Post 1061181254)
I'm your father, Lu… Gorath!

Actually it was a reference to the first Men in Black movie, when the bug collects his Edgar costume.

GhanBuriGhan January 25th, 2013 11:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gorath (Post 1061181257)
Actually it was a reference to the first Men in Black movie, when the bug collects his Edgar costume.

I go out, I work my butt off to make a living, all I want is to come home to a nice clean house with a nice fat steak on the table, but instead I get this!

Pladio January 25th, 2013 12:55

o.O

All I remember about MiB was that ball that is too fast to catch, the guy in the guy's head and the guy who gets his head shot off all the time.

DArtagnan January 25th, 2013 16:07

Then again, there's a kind of symmetry to it all. He destroyed Star Trek - and now he'll destroy what's left of Star Wars. He's like the EA of movie directors :)

CountChocula January 25th, 2013 16:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by DArtagnan (Post 1061181246)
Star Trek was a piece of shit

And what were Insurrection, Nemesis and Undiscovered Country? :P

Before the Abrams movie, the last good Star Trek was The Search for Spock. Voyage Home was not bad. The Wrath of Khan and Star Trek the Motion Picture were excellent. The others were crap IMO. Rick Berman was running the franchise into the ground.

DArtagnan January 25th, 2013 16:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by CountChocula (Post 1061181300)
And what were Insurrection, Nemesis and Undiscovered Country? :P

The Undiscovered Country was one of the best Treks. I liked Insurrection - but Nemesis was awful.

Quote:

Before the Abrams movie, the last good Star Trek was The Search for Spock. Voyage Home was not bad. The Wrath of Khan and Star Trek the Motion Picture were excellent. The others were crap IMO. Rick Berman was running the franchise into the ground.
I disagree quite severely, but that's the way of subjective opinions.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:09.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch