RPGWatch Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2

RPGWatch Forums (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Wheel of Time discussion thread (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19341)

Maylander January 24th, 2013 20:06

Wheel of Time discussion thread
 
New Spring is well worth reading. I liked it a lot.

Arhu January 24th, 2013 20:16

Aww, I skimmed through a synopsis and too many things sound familiar, which means I have probably read it already. Shoot.

Lucky Day January 24th, 2013 20:47

IMO it was just an attempt for RJ to drag out the series. Remember, he intended to finish it in 6 books. In fact, he was never going to write the other prequels after it came out due to fan reaction.

I remember once hearing that no one's favourite book in a series is number 17.

IMO it was just an attempt for RJ to drag out the series. Remember, he intended to finish it in 6 books. In fact, he was never going to write the other prequels after it came out due to fan reaction.

I remember once hearing that no one's favourite book in a series is number 17.

a question now is will a new video game be made? red eagles attempt to kickstart RTS game for mobile was a failure and thought to Gamebanshee to be the death of the one hinted at that Obsidian was producing. Red Eagle heard the ire of RJ just before he died for not paying their workings so I don't think his wife, Hilary, would approve if she had a say in it. Red Eagle may have the license locked up ala THQ and South Park.

What they don't have is the TV/Movie rights. Someone else owns that option. I would think after the success of Game of Thrones someone must be taking this very seriously. Maybe they could condense.

Finally, there may be one more book on the way - a proper encyclopedia - a sort of sequel to The Guide. RJ planned it and Hilary had mentioned before that there was no plans to shelve the project.

Arhu January 25th, 2013 23:13

My least favorite of the bunch was actually book 1. Reminded me too much of the beginning of every other high fantasy saga I'd read before. But he really took off from there, IMHO. And I love the way magic is used and described in his world.

BillSeurer January 26th, 2013 00:09

I'd say the good ones ended with about #3. I gave up after one where nothing of significance happened the entire book. The prolog and epilog would have been enough.

Corwin January 26th, 2013 00:12

Someone needs to produce a 'Readers Digest' version!! :)

Lucky Day January 26th, 2013 01:20

Wheel of Time discussion thread (OP)
 
There's been lot's of talk lately about the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan since the publishing of the 14th and last book in the series A Memory of Light. I've been guilty of changing the subject to it myself.

This is a thread, if you are interested, in discussing the events in the series especially that amazing, final book. Spoilers will abound.

Maybe we can get Arhu to buy it instead of waiting for the digital release in three months. I know I tried to talk down the Barnes and Noble clerk $5 by telling him it was $20 on their website. He wanted to know if I wanted him to order it.

Here's a topic - is it possible to skip books 6-13 and just read it in order: 1-5, 14?

Lucky Day January 26th, 2013 01:34

odd - my post disappeared. oh well…

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillSeurer (Post 1061181378)
I'd say the good ones ended with about #3. I gave up after one where nothing of significance happened the entire book. The prolog and epilog would have been enough.

you didn't like #5? some were calling for an expansion on the Age of Legends. SciFi!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corwin (Post 1061181380)
Someone needs to produce a 'Readers Digest' version!! :)

Most people would have told him that to his face! Book 8 (or was it 7) could have got by as a short story.

Corwin January 26th, 2013 06:49

Probably not, but you could summarize those middle books into ONE (1) book without losing too much. Just think, if we deleted all references to braid tugging and tea parties we'd save one or two books with that alone!! :)

Couchpotato January 26th, 2013 08:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky Day (Post 1061181389)
Here's a topic - is it possible to skip books 6-13 and just read it in order: 1-5, 14?

Yes you can. The plot became stretched thin. Hope Game of Thrones doesn't end up this way.

General complaints of the series are as follows-

Quote:

IT WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE IF…

General Complaints

It would have been nice if… the descriptions of clothing was reduced by half or more. Also, there is no need to reaffirm personality traits more than three times.

It would have been nice if… the last three books did not devote entire chapters to the points of view of minor characters that do nothing important and have no influence on any major plot-line. Is it really necessary to spend two chapters on Shalon or Elenia?

It would be nice if… men and women in the WoT universe were not so uniformly and blindly resentful of the opposite gender.

It would be nice if… one of the female protagonists placed more importance on world events than how she looks.

It would be nice if… there was at least one major or semi-major character who does not fall in love with someone unexpectedly. C'mon, that's just not realistic in the context of a world with people.

It would be nice if… some Aes Sedai besides Moiraine and Verin would act their ages. You'd think that great age would grant at least a few of them maturity.

It would be nice if… Robert Jordan wrote the series for fans as well as "just for himself."
There's more here but be warned there are spoliers.-http://abbygoldsmith.com/wot/been_nice.shtml

Arhu January 26th, 2013 10:54

I consolidated some posts from other threads to this thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky Day (Post 1061181389)
Maybe we can get Arhu to buy it instead of waiting for the digital release in three months.

Nope, but thanks for trying. ;) I wouldn't even know what do with a single hardcover book. I'm a collector, packrat and completist at heart.

Btw, I'm probably the only one who liked reading about braid tugging, extensive descriptions of clothing, minor characters and whatnot. I became a fan party because of those things, because they helped me imagine everything better and more thoroughly. I didn't mind the dragging-out of the story, because I wanted to keep reading about the world.

Quote:

It would be nice if… Robert Jordan wrote the series for fans as well as "just for himself."
That sentence doesn't make any sense. How could someone become a fan if they didn't like what they were reading?

pibbur who January 26th, 2013 21:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillSeurer (Post 1061181378)
I'd say the good ones ended with about #3. I gave up after one where nothing of significance happened the entire book. The prolog and epilog would have been enough.

Agreed. I dropped out halfway through #4, when a lot of new stuff was introduced for no apparent reason (other than prolonging the pai.. eh .. story), and of no significance.

pibbur who also finds Thomas Covenant and James Bond annoying.

Lucky Day January 26th, 2013 22:59

Two and three were really good but I don't remember four. But stopping at #4 is a shame. #5 is like the Sgt Pepper's album and everything after that is like the White Album.

I agree with Arhu, the first book wasn't great - except for the discovery that Moraine's explanation for everything regarding the Wheel starts to fall apart. That was clever, showing she wasn't as in control or as wise as she wanted others to think she was.

Lord of Chaos is really a very impactful book, but like Heretics of Dune, as important as it is its just not a very good story.

I like the descriptions of clothing and such - this is where RJ was heavily influenced by Robert E Howard - a reference most people miss, in all his borrowing for mythology, history, and other peoples works. Hyboria was a world with a lot of cultures, and so was RJ's world.

All the falling in love business with everyone you meet I might be consistent with what's going on in the world. The dark one's touch has caused a slow decline in the population to the point where Andor can't even trouble itself to send a tax collector. However, if I know RJ he probably didn't think he needed a reason but he'd jump on that as his own were it ever suggested in his lifetime.

Of course, there are two female archetypes - the Morraine type and the Min type. Both of them are annoying and repeatedly cloned.

The Androl and Pervara characters , though minor, are a terrific story in book 14.

There is one serious hole in the entire storyline: Callondor. After Rand get's this sa'angreal RJ wrote himself into a corner and realized the story should start to finish here.

So instead of taking the most powerful item on the planet, locked away in a fortress for 3000 years and finally defeat the Dark One, he decides to fight some invaders, split up the rest of the ta'varen, and cleanse the taint? He couldn't fo that after?

Instead he has Rand just give it to a an Asha'man for safe keeping? How is that kind of power not going to tempt anyone? It was already established that once he acquires Callandor, anyone could use it. Later RJ saw its got flaws? And It needs an additional two women who can channel now? That's convenient. This is a nonsensical move more fitting in a comic book.

Maylander January 31st, 2013 13:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky Day (Post 1061181509)
So instead of taking the most powerful item on the planet, locked away in a fortress for 3000 years and finally defeat the Dark One, he decides to fight some invaders, split up the rest of the ta'varen, and cleanse the taint? He couldn't fo that after?

The ter'angreal that could be used as a conduit to the massive sa'angreal statue was way more powerful than Callandor, so Callandor was hardly the most powerful item in the world.

Also, how was he supposed to use it against the Dark One? He admited he was clueless through most of the books as to how he was to defeat the dark one. He simply had no idea what to do with the prison etc. He would've been killed without getting close.

Anyway, I actually like descriptions and what not. It's probably because I prefer my books meaty and thorough. I'm not a big fan of books I can read in an afternoon, nor am I fan of books where I don't have enough time to really get to know the main characters.

pibbur who February 7th, 2013 13:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky Day (Post 1061181509)
Two and three were really good but I don't remember four. But stopping at #4 is a shame. #5 is like the Sgt Pepper's album and everything after that is like the White Album.
.

OK. Because you say so, I'll give it a try (some time).

pibbur who knows whom to sue if he doesn't like it

pibbur who February 7th, 2013 13:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky Day (Post 1061181509)
..So instead of taking the most powerful item on the planet, locked away in a fortress for 3000 years and finally defeat the Dark One, he decides to fight some invaders, split up the rest of the ta'varen, and cleanse the taint? He couldn't fo that after?

Silly lucky day. Everyone knows that the most powerful thing on the planet is a ring.

ash nazg durbatulűk ash nazg gimbatul ash nazg thrakatulűk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul!

pibbur who has been practicing blacskpeech for some time. And who wonders when we'll se a Sauron vs Predator movie. After mr J has finished the hobbit moviesssss?

EDIT: Nazgul vs Predator, most likely.

EDIT: In the really creative anything Any-monster-who-is-not-predator vs predator series.

DArtagnan February 11th, 2013 21:55

DArtagnan vs Predator!

Lucky Day February 11th, 2013 22:26

After leaving the Nine Rings do they go on a quest past the Mountains of Dhoom then?

I had a guy on my serve that always referred to them as Trollorcs. Pretty sure it was on purpose.

pibbur who February 18th, 2013 13:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by DArtagnan (Post 1061183890)
DArtagnan vs Predator!

As I said: Any-monster-who-is-not-predator vs predator .

pibbur who isn't sure who would win in a fight between the musketeer and the predator. (You may take this as a compliment)

pibbur who February 18th, 2013 13:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky Day (Post 1061183898)
After leaving the Nine Rings do they go on a quest past the Mountains of Dhoom then?

They should.
Quote:

I had a guy on my serve that always referred to them as Trollorcs. Pretty sure it was on purpose.
Of course it was on purpose.

pibbur who is jealous because he didn't think of it first.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:07.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch