RPGWatch Forums

RPGWatch Forums (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Comments (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Piranha Bytes - Cofounder Alex Bruggeman Passed Away Last Week (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19348)

aries100 January 27th, 2013 16:25

Piranha Bytes - Cofounder Alex Bruggeman Passed Away Last Week

From World of Risen comes this sad news: Alex Brüggemann, one of the co-founders of Piranha Bytes passed away last week:
Quote:

In the night from Saturday to Sunday, [last week] Piranha Bytes co-founder Alex Brüggemann died in presence of his wife and mother. Alex Brüggemann was one of four founders of Piranha Bytes and thus, one of the spiritual fathers of the Gothic series. As Ralf Marczinczik wrote in his blog, Alex was diagnosed with cancer about three years ago. It appears he now succumbed to this dreadful disease.The World of Risen mourns with the family and friends of Alex and wishes them all the best and the strength to see through these difficult times.
For sone reason, I can't use the ü-letter in the newsbit title - sorry for the inconvenience.
More information.

Maylander January 27th, 2013 16:25

Rest in peace, Alex Brüggemann.

DArtagnan January 27th, 2013 16:46

How awful :(

Part of such a strong company - he must have been quite the developer.

Gorath January 27th, 2013 17:10

I modified the headline. Add an "e" if umlauts don't work. ;)

Mr Brüggemann stayed with their mother company after the crash between Gothic and G2. In later years he worked as lead designer on a couple of Settlers games for Ubisoft / Blue Byte. RIP.

aries100 January 27th, 2013 17:50

Thank you Gorath….

bkrueger January 27th, 2013 18:00

Thank you for Gothic and more…

According to elind from WoG he wished "Game Over" as inscription for his gravestone.

A person full of creativity and humour.

vurt January 27th, 2013 18:11

Very sad to hear. The Gothic games will always have a special place in my heart. RIP.

coaster January 27th, 2013 19:06

RIP, he helped bring a great deal of gaming pleasure to many people.

Pessimeister January 27th, 2013 19:25

Sad news indeed, however thank you for sharing it Aries100.

RIP Mr Bruggerman, thank you for your contribution to PB.
Condolences to your friends and family.

I shall now listen to the Gothic soundtrack as a tribute. Long live the nameless hero.

Yme January 27th, 2013 19:29

So sad. Rest in peace.

Xian January 27th, 2013 20:06

Condolences to family and friends. It's always sad when a talent that has touched the lives of people passes on. I know that I have spent many hours of my own life with his works.

Zephyr January 27th, 2013 20:45

G 1, 2, and 3 — Priceless. Thanks.

Ragnaris January 28th, 2013 04:11

Having just completed G2 and now experiencing G3 for the first time, this is tragic news to me. Thank you for sharing, Aries. This is also a bit of a blow as my family tree has also had a history with cancer (what Alex died of).

Rest in peace, Alex Brüggemann. Best of wishes to your friends and family. Thank you for the wonderful games and experiences over the years.

JDR13 January 28th, 2013 12:04

I wasn't familiar with the name Alex Bruggeman prior to this news, but as a huge fan of Piranha Bytes, I'm saddened to hear about this.

GhanBuriGhan January 28th, 2013 13:02

That's sad, he can't have been very old. Piranha Bytes are a great company, and it was great to see such a fun series as the Gothics being made in my home country. R.I.P.

DeepO January 28th, 2013 17:39

That sucks.
RIP.