RPGWatch Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2

RPGWatch Forums (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Comments (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   System Shock 2 - Available from GOG and an Interview (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19525)

Myrthos February 14th, 2013 17:18

System Shock 2 - Available from GOG and an Interview
 
System Shock 2 can now be purchased from Good Old Games for only $10.
Rock Paper Shotgun has an interview with Stephen Kick of Night Dive, who secured the rights and worked on the release, and Guillaume Rambourg at GOG.com.
Quote:

RPS: The story of the System Shock rights and trademark has frustrated people for years. As I understand it – and I may well be wrong – Looking Glass retained the rights while EA held the trademark. When Looking Glass ceased to be, the rights passed to Meadowbrook Insurance Group and without both, the series cannot be revived. What negotiations, with any parties involved, have taken place in order to secure digital distribution rights?
Stephen Kick (Night Dive): The rights are still held in a very complicated tangle and going into all of it makes for very dry reading. The short version is that negotiations began in October of last year. I pitched the rights-holder with the focus being on the digital distribution of System Shock 2 and–as much to my surprise as anyone’s, possibly–here we are today.
Guillaume Rambourg (GOG.com): We, of course, have been working on getting System Shock 2 on GOG.com more or less since we started operations, and we were absolutely thrilled when Stephen contacted us from Night Dive indicating that he was able to secure these rights.
More information.

TheMadGamer February 14th, 2013 17:18

Yay!!

Carnifex February 14th, 2013 19:26

Quickest purchase I've made in a while. Now, to find the time to play it……again!



-Carn

khaight February 14th, 2013 19:42

I still have my original copy, but the effort they put in to make sure it works on modern operating systems is more than welcome, and probably worth the ten bucks all by itself.

vurt February 14th, 2013 20:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by khaight (Post 1061184374)
I still have my original copy, but the effort they put in to make sure it works on modern operating systems is more than welcome, and probably worth the ten bucks all by itself.

Too bad those responsible for the fixes won't see any of the money though. Nice that it's finally available for those that didnt buy it back in the days though, but i'm not gonna support, don't see the point really :)

Pongo February 14th, 2013 20:40

Fantastic! I didn't play it first time around. Downloading now… quite excited about this! :)

Vindicator February 14th, 2013 22:29

Although I thought System Shock 2 was a bit dumbed down and more action oriented than its predecessor, it’s still one of the best PC games ever. For those who missed it, think of it as BioShock in space (BioShock is its spiritual successor). SS was designed by the people who brought us the Ultima Underworld, Thief, and Deus Ex series… so if you liked any of those, you’ll love SS2. :thumbsup:

joxer February 14th, 2013 23:20

What if we liked U:U, Thief and DX, but despise Bioshock? :D

khaight February 14th, 2013 23:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by joxer (Post 1061184407)
What if we liked U:U, Thief and DX, but despise Bioshock? :D

You'll still have pretty good odds on SS2.

Capt. Huggy Face February 14th, 2013 23:35

Any modding advice? From what little I've read so far, people seem to think the texture mod and the Rebirth model mod are essential. Personally, I general stick to mods that preserve the original gameplay, though I don't mind dressing up a game as old as this one.

Thrasher February 15th, 2013 00:47

I think the environment texture mod is good, makes the signs actually readable, but the monster model update makes them less scary. There may be better options for the monsters but I didn't bother.

JDR13 February 15th, 2013 01:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by joxer (Post 1061184407)
What if we liked U:U, Thief and DX, but despise Bioshock? :D

I don't understand how any fan of the games you mention could "despise" Bioshock. It's not quite on the same level as those titles, but it's still a very good game in it's own right.

Bedwyr February 15th, 2013 04:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDR13 (Post 1061184425)
I don't understand how any fan of the games you mention could "despise" Bioshock. It's not quite on the same level as those titles, but it's still a very good game in it's own right.

Maybe the political take. They laid on the ayn rand stuff pretty hard. Also they transported most of the gameplay elements straight from SS2. It's weird seeing CC cameras in an underwater city from the, what, 40's?

JDR13 February 15th, 2013 04:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bedwyr (Post 1061184434)
It's weird seeing CC cameras in an underwater city from the, what, 40's?

Weirder than people injecting themselves with a genetically altering substance that gives them superhuman abilities? ;)

DArtagnan February 15th, 2013 10:06

Bioshock had an incredibly powerful premise, setting and atmosphere. But as a game - it was about average.

It took everything great about System Shock 2 - dumbed it down and made it weaker and less interesting.

The story started out being interesting, but fell apart about halfway through. The whole "morality" concept of the little sisters was a very bad joke. Kill them or save them? Wow, the dilemma! The game was supposed to punish you for saving them - and yet you end up with special powers and anything but a disadvantage. There's a sequence where you have to do everything you can to save one, and yet if she dies - the game just spawns another one. That's some weak shit right there.

As a big fan of the Shocks - I can easily appreciate not liking the game. That said, I found it to be OK overall. Still a massive disappointment, though.

Crilloan February 15th, 2013 10:47

System Shock 2

Thats top 5 gaming experience in my life.

Elevator, music, a rusty pistol about to give up and encounter 7 enemies with 6 bullets in my mag.

I wonder if I could stand the graphic now?

Concerning Bioshock, I enjoyed it for what it was. They created a very good sound fx environment.

A remake of System Shock games with better controls and updated graphics.
Id pay for that, full price.

C

MigRib February 15th, 2013 11:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by DArtagnan (Post 1061184460)
Bioshock had an incredibly powerful premise, setting and atmosphere. But as a game - it was about average.

It took everything great about System Shock 2 - dumbed it down and made it weaker and less interesting.

The story started out being interesting, but fell apart about halfway through. The whole "morality" concept of the little sisters was a very bad joke. Kill them or save them? Wow, the dilemma! The game was supposed to punish you for saving them - and yet you end up with special powers and anything but a disadvantage. There's a sequence where you have to do everything you can to save one, and yet if she dies - the game just spawns another one. That's some weak shit right there.

As a big fan of the Shocks - I can easily appreciate not liking the game. That said, I found it to be OK overall. Still a massive disappointment, though.

I'm not a fan of Bioshock, but I don't understand your "dumbed down" opinion about it. Weaker and less interesting I understand, It's your personal opinion, But dumbed down? Why? It's because it doesn't have the half-hour tuturial/ training course of the equipment/ characteristics management options (quite similar to Deus Ex, if I recall it correctly)? Or the logs for everything said and red before? But System Shock is supposed to be an RPG, right? I wouldn't call it that, because the interactions I remember mostly are zombie smashing, not dialogues, but anyway… Bioshock is a shooter. For a shooter it has quite a complex story - or so it seemed to me , because, as I don't like shooters, I gave it up after a couple of hours. Anyway, not trying to pick an argument, but the "dumbed down" thing (mostly applied in comparisons between older and newer games) is something I can't quite understand… Possibly I was dumbed down.

zakhal February 15th, 2013 11:34

Few years ago after replaying both SS1 and 2 I played bioshock and it was a huge letdown. System shocks had interesting world to explore. Bioshock felt like plastic dx10 world filled with crazy people who all want to kill you. The world in bioshock was hard to understand while in system shock it was clear. Also there was more freedom in system shock especially in the original.

I didnt like the story, setting or atmosphere of bioshock I think that was the killer for me since the gameplay wasnt that great either. It was just too stupid and unbeliavable imho. Nazies in the bottom of the ocean? Right…Its like saying that "Iron Sky" had good story and setting.

Totally different genres if you compare it to the setting of system shock. Bioshock is more like crazy comedy while system shock is science fiction.

DArtagnan February 15th, 2013 11:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by MigRib (Post 1061184466)
I'm not a fan of Bioshock, but I don't understand your "dumbed down" opinion about it. Weaker and less interesting I understand, It's your personal opinion, But dumbed down? Why? It's because it doesn't have the half-hour tuturial/ training course of the equipment/ characteristics management options (quite similar to Deus Ex, if I recall it correctly)? Or the logs for everything said and red before? But System Shock is supposed to be an RPG, right? I wouldn't call it that, because the interactions I remember mostly are zombie smashing, not dialogues, but anyway… Bioshock is a shooter. For a shooter it has quite a complex story - or so it seemed to me , because, as I don't like shooters, I gave it up after a couple of hours. Anyway, not trying to pick an argument, but the "dumbed down" thing (mostly applied in comparisons between older and newer games) is something I can't quite understand… Possibly I was dumbed down.

In System Shock 2 - you had a much more intricate character development system, and you couldn't possibly attain everything (far from it). You had three distinct classes with distinct advantages.

In System Shock 2 - you had to pick your weapons and abilities very carefully - because you couldn't possibly gain access to them all. You had a very limited amount of upgrade points to spend.

In System Shock 2 - you had to carefully scavenge resources - and you weren't limited to "9" health hypos or "9" psy hypos. It was true survival horror - and you really had to manage your expenditure. You could end up with nothing left at the end, where Bioshock threw these things at you at all times. You literally couldn't run out of resources, making that entire aspect meaningless.

In System Shock 2 - you would go back and forth between the levels you gained access to. It was a major part of the game and made it a much less linear and predictable experience. In Bioshock - it's basically one tiny themepark after the other - with little or no consistency in terms of level design.

In System Shock 2 - you had a limited inventory, which meant you could only carry a very limited selection of weapons - especially if you wanted some of the larger ones.

In System Shock 2 - you had to maintain weapons and repair them when broken.

In System Shock 2 - you didn't find tape recorders the size of small people next to EVERY SINGLE relevant scene. You found logs that didn't necessarily relate directly to the scene in question. You actually had to piece a few things together to get a complete picture.

In System Shock 2 - you actually had to find and activate the character regeneration chambers - and because of the limited resources, it was a big deal if you died.

On and on… Stuff like that.

Clear?

MigRib February 15th, 2013 11:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by DArtagnan (Post 1061184468)
In System Shock 2 - you had a much more intricate character development system, and you couldn't possibly attain everything (far from it). You had three distinct classes with distinct advantages.

In System Shock 2 - you had to pick your weapons and abilities very carefully - because you couldn't possibly gain access to them all. You had a very limited amount of upgrade points to spend.

In System Shock 2 - you had to carefully scavenge resources - and you weren't limited to "9" health hypos or "9" psy hypos. It was true survival horror - and you really had to manage your expenditure. You could end up with nothing left at the end, where Bioshock threw these things at you at all times. You literally couldn't run out of resources, making that entire aspect meaningless.

In System Shock 2 - you would go back and forth between the levels you gained access to. It was a major part of the game and made it a much less linear and predictable experience. In Bioshock - it's basically one tiny themepark after the other - with little or no consistency in terms of level design.

In System Shock 2 - you had a limited inventory, which meant you could only carry a very limited selection of weapons - especially if you wanted some of the larger ones.

In System Shock 2 - you had to maintain weapons and repair them when broken.

In System Shock 2 - you didn't find tape recorders the size of small people next to EVERY SINGLE relevant scene. You found logs that didn't necessarily relate directly to the scene in question. You actually had to piece a few things together to get a complete picture.

In System Shock 2 - you actually had to find and activate the character regeneration chambers - and because of the limited resources, it was a big deal if you died.

On and on… Stuff like that.

Clear?

Yes, up to a point. I understand why you prefer System Shock, but all those things are unusual in shooters, aren't they? Even if the shooter is somehow inspired by the older RPG/Action RPG or whatever System Shock is labeled. I don't see why Bioshock was dumbed down just for being a FPS. Unless that's it, it is dumbed down for being an FPS…


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:41.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch