RPGWatch Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

RPGWatch Forums (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Comments (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Torment: Tides of Numenera - Game Information and Kickstarter News (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19705)

Myrthos March 5th, 2013 00:59

Torment: Tides of Numenera - Game Information and Kickstarter News
 
IGN has more information on Torment:Tides of Numenera based on interview with Colin McComb and Kevin Saunders and also share the information that its Kickstarter will start this Wednesday March 6th.
Quote:

Kickstarter isn’t a magic bullet for niche developers though, and McComb knows that. “I don’t want to say what other people have done wrong, because honestly, a lot of times it feels like its a crapshoot as far as what works and what doesn’t. As far as mid-size developers go, I think it’s important to have a good pitch, with enough details and enough idea behind what you’re doing, in order to get it out there to people. If you don’t have that, I think you’re going to be in a lot more trouble than you would be otherwise."
Saunders agrees, saying, “Even so, it’s better to find that out early. With crowdfunding, you find out that nobody really wanted that game before you spend very much money on making it.
They both share a laugh as McComb gathers his closing thought. “Exactly. “God, I just spent $10 million dollars and nobody’s buying this. Well, it looks like we’re all fired.”
inXile's Kickstarter campaign for Torment: Tides of Numenera will go live Wednesday, March 6, 2013. The target release date will be revealed then. It is currently in pre-production on PC and Mac platforms.
More information.

guenthar March 5th, 2013 00:59

I wish they would have started a few days later since this will end just before I get my money so I won't be able to afford to give anything before it ends. I don't really like Paypal but I guess I will have to risk using it to give for this one.

borcanu March 5th, 2013 01:41

I dont likem working on multiple projects. it either means they have too much resources on their hands or that htey want to grow.
hate both scenarios. Will not back this out of principle. If there is some1 who can suade me otherwize, please do. I want to believe they are doing the right thing

guenthar March 5th, 2013 01:59

For me I'm not interested in Wasteland 2 at all but this game does interest me. They could be starting this now for various reasons. They could be getting close to finishing their other game and want to start a new game while having a small group finish up the last of Wasteland 2. It could also be because the pieces came together with having the license and the creator of Planescape on board and just didn't want to waste that opportunity because they could lose it. They could also be doing it just because they want to.

Brother None March 5th, 2013 02:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by guenthar (Post 1061186879)
I wish they would have started a few days later since this will end just before I get my money so I won't be able to afford to give anything before it ends.

Sorry man :c

Quote:

Originally Posted by guenthar (Post 1061186884)
They could be starting this now for various reasons. They could be getting close to finishing their other game and want to start a new game while having a small group finish up the last of Wasteland 2.

Mostly this, but the other way around. Wasteland 2 is and will remain in full production with most inXile staff working on it, but the writers and concept artists are done. A lot of game studios and publishers just fire 'em, but Fargo's style since Interplay has been to put em on the pre-production of the next project. Then, when Wasteland 2 is done, Torment is well through pre-production and the team can roll into it naturally. It's not ideal to have to go to Kickstarter again at this point, far from it, but this is the best way to do a production cycle in this industry.

Capt. Huggy Face March 5th, 2013 02:31

That's a pretty good explanation, Brother None. Maybe you could help the Banner Saga folks by providing a better explanation as to why they've wasted so much time and completely blown of their deadline to put out their Factions multiplayer micro-transaction garbage that was never a part of their Kickstarter pitch. :p

Couchpotato March 5th, 2013 03:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt. Huggy Face (Post 1061186889)
That's a pretty good explanation, Brother None. Maybe you could help the Banner Saga folks by providing a better explanation as to why they've wasted so much time and completely blown of their deadline to put out their Factions multiplayer micro-transaction garbage that was never a part of their Kickstarter pitch. :p

Why money of course that should be obvious. Is it sad I'm more interested in Torment: Tides of Numenera than Wasteland 2.

xep624 March 5th, 2013 08:00

Just a quick cash grab… From our point (fans…) it's sad or for some sign of being greedy, but from their perspective it's money for bills, investment, wages, marketing campaign for the real Banner Saga, etc.

xep624 March 5th, 2013 08:01

That's a pretty good explanation, Brother None. Maybe you could help the Banner Saga folks by providing a better explanation as to why they've wasted so much time and completely blown of their deadline to put out their Factions multiplayer micro-transaction garbage that was never a part of their Kickstarter pitch. undefined

tolknaz March 5th, 2013 08:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by borcanu (Post 1061186883)
I dont likem working on multiple projects. it either means they have too much resources on their hands or that htey want to grow.
hate both scenarios. Will not back this out of principle. If there is some1 who can suade me otherwize, please do. I want to believe they are doing the right thing

It's quite common for game developers (even indie ones) to have several projects in the pipeline at the same time. When a game nears completion, their designers, artists, writers etc. simply don't have the same workload as their programmers or QA people. Should they let a significat part of their team sit idle (or fire them) just beacause you are not comfortable with them working on several titles at the same time?

Bedwyr March 5th, 2013 08:47

This is no different than a construction contractor having more than one project going on at a time. Without clever scheduling the contractor will have to lay off or furlough many of his subcontractors and workers. It is simply the way project management can and should be done in a business; it's just the first time you're seeing it happen as a potential donor.

ikbenrichard March 5th, 2013 09:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brother None (Post 1061186885)

Mostly this, but the other way around. Wasteland 2 is and will remain in full production with most inXile staff working on it, but the writers and concept artists are done. A lot of game studios and publishers just fire 'em, but Fargo's style since Interplay has been to put em on the pre-production of the next project. Then, when Wasteland 2 is done, Torment is well through pre-production and the team can roll into it naturally. It's not ideal to have to go to Kickstarter again at this point, far from it, but this is the best way to do a production cycle in this industry.

I always thought this was common knowledge.
Efficient and logic.

borcanu March 5th, 2013 10:29

I was unaware in what pahse wasteland was. If you say its in alpha then I understand. THanks for clearing it up. ) Will back it

joxer March 5th, 2013 14:56

I'm in as soon as KS starts, means I'm pledging tomorrow.

I don't care for concerns - guys, it's practically Torment2. Do you want it? I do.

GothicGothicness March 5th, 2013 15:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brother None (Post 1061186885)
Sorry man :c



Mostly this, but the other way around. Wasteland 2 is and will remain in full production with most inXile staff working on it, but the writers and concept artists are done. A lot of game studios and publishers just fire 'em, but Fargo's style since Interplay has been to put em on the pre-production of the next project. Then, when Wasteland 2 is done, Torment is well through pre-production and the team can roll into it naturally. It's not ideal to have to go to Kickstarter again at this point, far from it, but this is the best way to do a production cycle in this industry.

Not only this, but I think they could use the same engine for both of them more or less…. so it would actually be not so smart.. to not work on more than one project.

cptbarkey March 5th, 2013 17:13

said this before but i'm done with kickstarter until i see solid results from existing projects.

LuckyCarbon March 5th, 2013 18:01

I already posted this in the rewards thread but it was at the end of the thread's life and I still feel very strongly about it so I'm going to post it again here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyCarbon (Post 1061186692)
Well, we spent years complaining there were no good old school RPGs coming out and now we're complaining there's a couple coming out over the next few years? Wasteland fall 2013, Project Eternity 2014 sometime hopefully, and obviously we don't yet for Torment but I would assume late 2014 at the earliest. That's 3 in ~3 years since we kicked in for Wasteland 2. I regret I didn't give more now that I've seen how fantastic the combat video looks.

Would it be nice for Wasteland 2 to be out already so we had a better idea of the style and quality to expect from inXile? Yes. However, Fargo is doing this the right way. He's only creating games he thinks we want, asking for our support through kickstarter to know we do want it, and listening to fan feedback the whole way through the development process. Unlike a lot of resurrected franchises, Fargo's not trying to rip us off by just cashing in on a name. He's put together a lot of the original designers and writers from both games to make the new ones. What more could we possibly want?

I get it, Fargo has put together a great team that's working for him and he wants to keep it going. To do that he needs to start lining up the next project now. The writers are mostly free and he wants to get them working on the next project now so it's ready for the development team when Wasteland 2 is finished. Would you rather he had to lay off his dev team to wait for funding for the next game and have to start from square one again?

I'd rather contribute to a hundred kickstarter games done by reputable, experienced devs who are asking for my support than spend another $50 ($60 now apparently) from a developer and publisher that insults me with the quality of brainless trash put out from some of the big publisher backed "RPGs" lately.

You have my support Mr. Fargo and thank you for treating our community with respect.


rjshae March 5th, 2013 18:52

Well posted, LuckyCarbon!

Quote:

Originally Posted by cptbarkey (Post 1061186939)
said this before but i'm done with kickstarter until i see solid results from existing projects.

This logic makes my brain hurt. Kickstarter is a process, not a development group. A record of 100% success by kickstarter projects doesn't mean the next kickstarter project will succeed. You'll have to base your trust, and your financial contributions, on the group doing the development.

cptbarkey March 5th, 2013 19:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjshae (Post 1061186949)
Well posted, LuckyCarbon!



This logic makes my brain hurt. Kickstarter is a process, not a development group. A record of 100% success by kickstarter projects doesn't mean the next kickstarter project will succeed. You'll have to base your trust, and your financial contributions, on the group doing the development.

you are correct on all counts, and color me disinterested.

screeg March 5th, 2013 20:46

Faster Than Light was funded through Kickstarter and was a fantastic scifi roguelike. Does that count?


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:38.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch