RPGWatch Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2

RPGWatch Forums (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Comments (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Shroud of the Avatar - Update 5 (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19747)

woges March 12th, 2013 04:01

Shroud of the Avatar - Update 5
 
Some DRM, offline/online and microtransaction questions answered in the latest update for SotA.
Quote:

First, the game can be played offline, no connection required. The character used for the offline version of the game will not be useable in the online version of the game for obvious exploit/hacking reasons. We are going to investigate ways to export your online character to the single player version of the game but the offline character will not be importable into the online version.


Second, the offline single player version of the game for those who purchase it through KickStarter will not use any form of DRM. We had been holding off on committing to that because we don’t know what our final distribution system (Steam, GOG, etc) is going to be and some of them use DRM. We may have DRM of some sort on post-KS sales but we’ll commit to keeping KS versions DRM and “phone home” free for the single player version once launched.


Third, the offline single player of the game will not have any microtransactions. We know this is kind of a no-brainer since it is offline but we wanted to be perfectly clear on that since there was some vagueness in a few statements in one of our video chats.
More information.

killias2 March 12th, 2013 04:01

I'm glad to hear about all of this, as it directly addresses some of my concerns. However, I'm still concerned that this is a multiplayer-focused game with single-player as an after-thought. I don't get the sense that the plan was to make a SP game, and, insofar as they're completely changing plans part of the way through a Kickstarter, I'm not sure that's the best way to operate. Still, my biggest concerns have been addressed.

rune_74 March 12th, 2013 04:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by killias2 (Post 1061187934)
I'm glad to hear about all of this, as it directly addresses some of my concerns. However, I'm still concerned that this is a multiplayer-focused game with single-player as an after-thought. I don't get the sense that the plan was to make a SP game, and, insofar as they're completely changing plans part of the way through a Kickstarter, I'm not sure that's the best way to operate. Still, my biggest concerns have been addressed.

I'm not sure how they are completely changing plans when this has been mentioned from the start.

killias2 March 12th, 2013 05:05

"I'm not sure how they are completely changing plans when this has been mentioned from the start."

From the newest update:
"3 days into the Kickstarter and we’ve been receiving tons of great feedback, probably more than we received in the last year through our social campaign to find out what people want! Based on one of the most common concerns, we’re making a few small changes.

First, the game can be played offline, no connection required…."

rune_74 March 12th, 2013 05:16

Small changes doesn't really sound like completely changing things…I guess it does.

Vindicator March 12th, 2013 06:31

While I'm still not thrilled with the direction of this game, it is sounding a little better, and I enjoyed the video with Iolo… so I'll probably bump my pledge to the $150 level before it's over… I just wish that included a nice box to hold the map and coin.

bjon045 March 12th, 2013 10:22

Good news. I'm thinking i'll end up putting down 25 dollars.

GhanBuriGhan March 12th, 2013 11:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjon045 (Post 1061187955)
Good news. I'm thinking i'll end up putting down 25 dollars.

You can't - that level is sold out. Currntly $30 is the lowest tier where you get the game.

GhanBuriGhan March 12th, 2013 12:02

Someone with a lot of time on his hands (cheers to Mitchell, if he ever comes here) transcribed the first video Q&A (and promises to do the same for the others as well). Still long but quicker to scan for info than the videos.

http://mitchellhamilton.blogspot.ca/…nscript-1.html

kalniel March 12th, 2013 12:36

So it's episodic, and the first one is only 10% of total world space.. is that all you get if you pledge?

GhanBuriGhan March 12th, 2013 12:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalniel (Post 1061187968)
So it's episodic, and the first one is only 10% of total world space.. is that all you get if you pledge?

I remember reading that they would charge for the additional episodes (I think $20 was mentioned?). But also that each chapter would be the size of a full game.

Gwendo March 12th, 2013 12:57

I'm only interested in single player, but I'm not tempted to back an offline MMO hack and slash game, as it appears.

GhanBuriGhan March 12th, 2013 13:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gwendo (Post 1061187970)
I'm only interested in single player, but I'm not tempted to back an offline MMO hack and slash game, as it appears.

Well, the way garriott described the MP here, I could live with it:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Garriott
The game is a story driven game and the game we currently believe you’ll be able to play completely offline, meaning you never have to connect to the internet; you won’t be forced to connect to the internet. Now that’s our intention, we’ll see how big it gets and see if we actually need some server contact periodically just for patches and other things that require you to connect. The intention is that it really feels like something that is completely solo player and me as a player, I do a lot of playing offline just for practice and I’m often away from a connection, I’m very personally motivated to make sure that this remains true.
But in addition to it being a story driven game for you to proceed through, while you are online the game will automatically not only patch itself but the world is also persistent and can be impacted by other players. What I mean by that is if you go into cities and towns, and you can see this in the videos online, the cities and towns have a core infrastructure that we’ve created that make sure that if you’re playing solo you can go there to buy and sell things, the basic shops that are required to proceed, but in those cities and towns there are plenty of empty lots where you can buy and build a home or business and so as long as you’re online it will constantly update.

However I don't think we have much, if any, information regarding the kind of story they want to do, what the setting really is like (apart from "like Ultima, Fantasy, D'uh!), how well the "replayable adventure scenes" can work in the context of a story driven game (supposedly with choices and consequences) etc. So it still comes down to how much you trust RG to deliver a great story…

Edit: well I am still on the fence, but a first responder slot had just become availble so I provisionally pledged. Plenty of time to see how the campaign develops.

Sacred_Path March 12th, 2013 17:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by GhanBuriGhan (Post 1061187960)
You can't - that level is sold out. Currntly $30 is the lowest tier where you get the game.

until they open their paypal store. I'm also planning to get a cheap digital tier.

Myrkrel March 12th, 2013 18:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by GhanBuriGhan (Post 1061187971)
However I don't think we have much, if any, information regarding the kind of story they want to do, what the setting really is like (apart from "like Ultima, Fantasy, D'uh!) …

Yeah I hope they elaborate on the story and setting a bit more in updates. One thing they have mentioned is that it will have some elements of Victorian-age technology, so possibly a steampunk feel in certain areas. Aside from that I assume the setting will be similar to Ultima, but we'll see.

CelticFrost March 12th, 2013 23:37

The more I read and see on the game the more confused I get…:(

rune_74 March 13th, 2013 00:27

Here is a bit on the story.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=2687

vurt March 13th, 2013 01:29

Which engine are they using, it looks like game from 2002-2003 (yes i know it's not final). Is it fully open world or do you need to use that terrible overhead map to travel on (hate those in games, reminds me of crappy jRPG's). Big fan of Ultima 7 / 7 part II, Ultima Online was great too (at the time). It doesnt give a very serious impression when he easily could afford to do something like this without KS.. What's next, Disney or Microsoft doing a KS? lol..

rune_74 March 13th, 2013 01:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by vurt (Post 1061188059)
Which engine are they using, it looks like game from 2002-2003 (yes i know it's not final). Is it fully open world or do you need to use that terrible overhead map to travel on (hate those in games, reminds me of crappy jRPG's). Big fan of Ultima 7 / 7 part II, Ultima Online was great too (at the time). It doesnt give a very serious impression when he easily could afford to do something like this without KS.. What's next, Disney or Microsoft doing a KS? lol..

Obsidian did one if you recall.

He is using Unity. It is placeholder graphics so far, as for funding he has generated his own funding and the million on kickstarter is more to gauge interest and allow people to get in on the development. It has a two tiered system for map travel which allows them to add to the overland map with out as much work as a single tier would work. He plans to have things added throughout the games life to the map, which looks pretty good I think.

As for ultima online I don't think any online game has developed or even come close to the economy and advancements it made even back then.

vurt March 13th, 2013 01:58

Obsidian arent exactly Microsoft, or Disney.. or Richard Garriot ;)

Thanks for the info! :)


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:31.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch