RPGWatch Forums

RPGWatch Forums (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Comments (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Original Sin - Attack of Opportunity (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19803)

Myrthos March 19th, 2013 13:43

Original Sin - Attack of Opportunity

Larian Studios showed on their facebook page that Divinity: Original Sin now supports attack of opportunity.
Quote:

We've been implementing the Attack of Opportunity mechanic in the game and we'd like to give you a little sneak peek. The indicators on the ground are still in infamous 'programmer art' but with that in mind; here's what it looks like (for now):

More information.

GhanBuriGhan March 19th, 2013 13:43

I don't get it, what am I seeing in this picture? Shouldn't attacks of opportunity be automatic, on the opponents turn? Why do they need an interface to set up?

DeepO March 19th, 2013 15:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by GhanBuriGhan (Post 1061188930)
I don't get it, what am I seeing in this picture? Shouldn't attacks of opportunity be automatic, on the opponents turn? Why do they need an interface to set up?

Iīm pretty sure the "programmer art" informs you that if you order the pc to move (green indicators) close by the hostile character, the pc will be subject to opponentsī attack of opportunity when on the red spot the arrow points at.
Pcīs attacks of opportunity likely will be automatic and without indicators, at least I donīt see any reason why it should be otherwise.

A good addition imo.

azarhal March 19th, 2013 15:03

The red circle on the ground, it shows that if you perform that displacement, your character will trigger an attack of opportunity at that spot from the enemies. It might just be something they use to test the system and the real game won't have it.

edit: DeepO said it better than me.

GhanBuriGhan March 19th, 2013 15:35

Ah OK thanks guys. I feel dumb now. I guess the markings could be something that is shown when I am planning to move my character in TB mode, before I execute my movement to the spot shown in green. So AoO triggers when you have entered, and then leave the range circle (white) of an enemy.

Japol March 19th, 2013 15:48

The game looks great ,but since you make the combat turn based ,why on earth don't you add more than two party members?

DeepO March 19th, 2013 18:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Japol (Post 1061188956)
The game looks great ,but since you make the combat turn based ,why on earth don't you add more than two party members?

IIRC, itīs possible to add 2 recruits to the party (Iīve no idea whether these will have any input on story or quests, but I think itīs more likely they wonīt) and summons were mentioned too.

Myrthos March 19th, 2013 18:14

That is correct. You can hire two mercenaries who do not have an influence on the story. The number of players is limited to 4. Each player can also summon a creature.

Japol March 20th, 2013 01:39

As long as the mercenaries are capable of ''full'' character development and are not like Diablo II henchmen ,it will be fine.
Good to know.

Thrasher March 20th, 2013 08:16

Wonderful turn based mechanic. This strangely makes me more excited.