RPGWatch Forums

RPGWatch Forums (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/index.php)
-   General RPG (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Ultima V - Getting a ship (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19817)

Lurking Grue March 21st, 2013 11:01

Ultima V - Getting a ship
 
How in the name of Virtues am I going to get a ship in Ultima V? That is, without buying one, but steal… ehh… acquiring it from pirates. This was simple in Ultima IV as there were pirate ships sailing all over, but not so in Ultima V. I've spent two evenings (real world evenings) scouring the coastlines for a ship, but no luck. I've been north by Minoc, east near Moonglow, south around the Serpent's Hold island and west on the coasts of Skara Brae and Jhelom. No. Ships.

Sure, there are all sorts of sea monsters from sea horses to giant octopi, but no ships. Here's a common scene from my search for a ship:


To be sure, I've seen one pirate ship very early in my game, so I know they do exist, but that's been it. One frigging ship! Is there some place where there are supposed to be pirate ships (do note, I can't get to Buc's Den without a ship) or is it just a matter of pure, random luck (and I'm enjoying a streak of really rotten luck with the random sea encounters)? Where do I get me a ship?!

Verily, I need thy help! (I have to get to the Isle of the Avatar and I need a ship for that.)

Fnord March 21st, 2013 12:28

If my memory serves, I stole mine from some generous pirates around Minoc. You must have been really unlucky, because I don't remember them being all that rare.

Corwin March 22nd, 2013 00:07

Wherefore is thou virtue Avatar? Purchase yon ship and stealeth not!! :)

Lurking Grue March 22nd, 2013 00:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corwin (Post 1061189382)
Wherefore is thou virtue Avatar? Purchase yon ship and stealeth not!! :)

If thou looketh at mine purse, thou mayeth see that I have aught but 37 gold - and a shippeth costeth 800 or so. Therefore, "loaning" a ship is my only option, besides I'm cleaning up the seas of piracy at the same time. :biggrin:

And good things come to those who wait. On the third evening of my search… SHIP AHOY!



Ha, I gots me a ship! Avast me hearties, we're sailing east to the Isle of the Avatar! Raise the sails! Yo ho ho! (And gimme some rum.)



Finally! Codex (not RPG Codex ;)), here I come!



And your homework for this evening, dear readers, is to translate that sign above. Easy peasy.

crpgnut March 25th, 2013 20:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lurking Grue (Post 1061189393)
If thou looketh at mine purse, thou mayeth see that I have aught but 37 gold - and a shippeth costeth 800 or so. Therefore, "loaning" a ship is my only option, besides I'm cleaning up the seas of piracy at the same time. :biggrin:

And good things come to those who wait. On the third evening of my search… SHIP AHOY!



Ha, I gots me a ship! Avast me hearties, we're sailing east to the Isle of the Avatar! Raise the sails! Yo ho ho! (And gimme some rum.)



Finally! Codex (not RPG Codex ;)), here I come!



And your homework for this evening, dear readers, is to translate that sign above. Easy peasy.

Know that ye may only pass if on a sacred quest, iirc.

Lurking Grue March 27th, 2013 10:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by crpgnut (Post 1061189848)
Know that ye may only pass if on a sacred quest, iirc.

Thou art correct, sir.

Heh, I just realized that in the last screenshot I actually have over 400 gold, which is quite a lot more than the measly 37 gold in the first screenie. Did I sell "I met the Avatar" T-shirts and "I support LB" pins to people I met or what is the story behind this sudden influx of gold. Gold! All that sweet gold!! Moolaah! Erm, where was I… Yes, well, I got a few good loot drops in between the first screenshot and the last, and sold all my excess stuff (which had grow to a quite a sizable list - I'm a packrat) at Buc's Den , so all of a sudden I have about half of what would've been needed to purchase a ship. But now I that I have acquired a ship, I can spend that on booze and hookers… no, sorry, that was Iolo and Dupre speaking, I mean on donations to the poor and on some meagre rations (of dry bread and stale water) for my and my party.

Speaking of Dupre, I'm sorely tempted to bring Dupre into my party, even if fighters aren't all that hot in U5. I already have a fighter, Shamino (who used to be a ranger, but as U5 narrowed the class selection to just three, he's a fighter now, go figure), and one fighter is basically enough, but would like to have the trio of Iolo, Shamino and Dupre in my party nonetheless. Maybe I'll dump Julia and get Dupre, even if that's not the most optimized party. Tradition demands…

Fnord March 27th, 2013 17:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lurking Grue (Post 1061190086)
But now I that I have acquired a ship, I can spend that on booze and hookers… no, sorry, that was Iolo and Dupre speaking, I mean on donations to the poor and on some meagre rations (of dry bread and stale water) for my and my party.

Actually, I suspect that that was the Avatar speaking, he apparently does not mind prostitution (in fact, he even gains some karma for supporting the trade…)

Lurking Grue March 27th, 2013 22:57

Well, love is one of the three principles and compassion (or was it passion ;)) one of the eight virtues.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:30.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch