RPGWatch Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2

RPGWatch Forums (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Non-RPG (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   EA Responds to Harsh Criticism (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19960)

Couchpotato April 6th, 2013 03:11

EA Responds to Harsh Criticism
 
It's time for more EA news and it's a dozy. After being nominated by Consumerist as the Worst Company in America for its second year in a row, EA CEO Peter Moore shot back with a post on the EA news feed.

As you'd imagine, he admitted to the company being capable of doing better, but argued that it's also doing many things right. Five main points were made in rebuttal, which were the following:

Quote:

Many continue to claim the Always-On function in SimCity is a DRM scheme. It’s not. People still want to argue about it. We can’t be any clearer – it’s not. Period.

Some claim there’s no room for Origin as a competitor to Steam. 45 million registered users are proving that wrong.

Some people think that free-to-play games and micro-transactions are a pox on gaming. Tens of millions more are playing and loving those games.

We’ve seen mailing lists that direct people to vote for EA because they disagree with the choice of the cover athlete on Madden NFL. Yes, really…

In the past year, we have received thousands of emails and postcards protesting against EA for allowing players to create LGBT characters in our games. This week, we’re seeing posts on conservative web sites urging people to protest our LGBT policy by voting EA the Worst Company in America.
Peter Moore seems pretty proud of himself. If you seriously have any qualms with the company you need to consider making your point with your wallet. Seeing EA get flamed left and right but having the company continually report green revenues is ridiculous. If gamers really seek change they're going to have to do a lot more than complain on blogs, because that isn't working.

Before we let are hate and disappointment out remember this one fact. The ones who complain, and cast doubt are in the minority. He is right millions play there games despite everything they do.

Link-http://www.ea.com/news/we-can-do-better

DArtagnan April 6th, 2013 08:40

PR fronts are like politicians when speaking in public.

Worthless as an indicator of anything.

Menigal April 6th, 2013 09:56

Looks like the typical "we are awesome, and if you don't agree then you're a smelly poo head" response that PR people and politicians love so much. Someone give him a glass of milk and a cookie, pat him on the head, and send him on his way. :rolleyes:

Couchpotato April 6th, 2013 10:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Menigal (Post 1061191471)
Looks like the typical "we are awesome, and if you don't agree then you're a smelly poo head" response that PR people and politicians love so much. Someone give him a glass of milk and a cookie, pat him on the head, and send him on his way. :rolleyes:

Well he is the new EA CEO. He has to look good for his new masters. The dreaded stockholders, and the board of directors..:biggrin:

Gloo April 6th, 2013 11:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Couchpotato (Post 1061191449)
…you need to consider making your point with your wallet. Seeing EA get flamed left and right but having the company continually report green revenues is ridiculous.

THAT is the point of this excellent article !

JDR13 April 6th, 2013 11:50

To be nominated for the worst company in America is pretty impressive.

GhanBuriGhan April 6th, 2013 12:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDR13 (Post 1061191478)
To be nominated for the worst company in America is pretty impressive.

And maybe indeed a sign that people take gaming too seriously?

ChienAboyeur April 6th, 2013 13:17

Harsh criticism, so much of it is unrelated to gaming.

Protesting a choice of an athlete for a game cover? I wonder how many times this kind of behaviour happened before.

Only the Sim city protest is linked to gaming and yet, it was explained that it came from the studios, not the publisher.

With criticism like that, it is easy to take high ground and mock it. That is probably the best to do.

wolfing April 6th, 2013 14:11

Always online requirement on a single player game is DRM. Double Period.

ToddMcF2002 April 6th, 2013 14:26

Worst company because people don't like the ending of ME3. LOL I like this guy. Seriously the Internet gaming community is full of whiny bitches and he is calling them out. EA is a publisher and that appears to be a crime. They happen to be a very big publisher which is a very big crime.

joxer April 6th, 2013 14:32

Dunno why America nominates EA for the worst company, but in my case it definetly is worst.
Ubilike DRM but in worse shape (lurking malware that runs always in your tray by default), overexpensive con the masses stuff (DLC), taxfree and probably illicit currencies that open a space to money laundry schemes (bioware points, simpoints, whatever points) and permabans+accremoval for whatever silly reason. Add to this the crap support when you buy EA game on Gamersgate and not on Origin - I really can't think of worse gaming company out there.

They're a big publisher? That's not an excuse, other big publishers out there respect their customers.

And saying "we're not the worst, just look at those numbers"… What logic is that? Consumers didn't vote on someone's business success and money figures. If they did, then mafia would be on the top of the list of best things ever.

booboo April 6th, 2013 15:23

I didn't want Steam or Origin, but sadly you have no choice if you want to play certain games. I don't have the strength to refuse to buy games I have really been looking forward too…:-/ BUT with KS and similar projects becoming more popular, several of my upcoming favorite games will be separated from either DRM system - *that* is me voting with my wallet! The fact remains though that many people simply don't consider the issues that many of us fret about as issues… they're happy to have there consumer rights eroded it seems, sometimes only discovering later that they should have paid attention. I refuse to buy any (non-network-centric) 'always online' game though - That's where I draw the line.

ToddMcF2002 April 6th, 2013 16:44

Most of the EA games I play are great which in the end is all I care about. And what publisher isn't reviled again???

Carnifex April 6th, 2013 17:21

EA sucked long before ME 3 came out. I think that game was just the final straw for some people, but they had many more travesties before that. The sheer need that they seem to have to put multiplayer on every damn game that they are involved in not to mention the various DRM's they do is enough to keep me away for life.



-Carn

Trelow April 8th, 2013 19:35

This is a good example of why letting people vote on anything is a bad idea.

GothicGothicness April 9th, 2013 16:23

Well, while most people here know what I think about EA, it is nowhere near the worst company in America.

DArtagnan April 9th, 2013 16:58

I would need to have insider information to evaluate which is the worst company. Who gives a shit, really?

All I know is that I absolutely despise their approach to publishing and the direction they want to go with for the industry.

Lucky Day April 9th, 2013 20:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDR13 (Post 1061191478)
To be nominated for the worst company in America is pretty impressive.

Gary Bettman wost voted worst CEO and the NHL responded by giving him a $7million contract.

Worst company? Isn't there a guy on the Food network that tries to turn around restaurants that try to poison their customers?

Carnifex April 9th, 2013 22:31

Let me put it this way…..they are EA. It doesn't matter what they think, at least to me.



-Carn

Dez April 9th, 2013 22:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by GhanBuriGhan (Post 1061191482)
And maybe indeed a sign that people take gaming too seriously?

Thats what I said to myself when I read this topic.

EA surely has a reputation for destroying gamestudios. Heck it may be the one of the worst videogame publishers, but they are saints if compared to real villains. All that EA does is publish videogames. They have notoriously bad customer service and I can relate to people who despise always online policies, but seriously the worst company in America?

As far as I know EA doesn't pollute nature or violate health regulations daily bases. They don't sell weapons to third world countries either.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:06.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch