RPGWatch Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2

RPGWatch Forums (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Comments (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   EA - Exclusive Deal to Develop 'Core' Star Wars Video Games (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20293)

Myrthos May 7th, 2013 00:31

EA - Exclusive Deal to Develop 'Core' Star Wars Video Games

Gamasutra reports that EA has signed an agreement to develop and publish Star Wars games. This could mean….something.
Quote:

The publisher announced today it has landed an exclusive multi-year agreement to develop and publish games based on Lucasfilms' Star Wars universe.

EA said the it will create and publish Star Wars games for a "core gaming audience" across multiple (undisclosed) platforms and genres. Disney, which has its own internal stable of game developers — and owns the Star Wars property — will retain rights to publish certain games on mobile, social, tablet and online.

The EA studios creating those "core" Star Wars games are Battlefield developer DICE, Dead Space developer Visceral Games and BioWare, which has plenty of spacefaring experience with Mass Effect, Star Wars: The Old Republic and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.

All of the games will be powered by DICE's high-powered Frostbite 3 engine, the same engine that powers Battlefield 3.
More information.

azarhal May 7th, 2013 00:31

Jeez, I should have looked at the main page more closely (I made a thread in the forum).

If this mean more offline single player Star Wars RPGs, I'm not going to cry over it. Also, Frostbite 3! I can't wait to see Dragon Age 3 in it…

Couchpotato May 7th, 2013 00:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by azarhal (Post 1061196681)
Jeez, I should have looked at the main page more closely (I made a thread in the forum).

If this mean more offline single player Star Wars RPGs, I'm not going to cry over it. Also, Frostbite 3! I can't wait to see Dragon Age 3 in it…

Well this can both be good or bad news really. If it means more SP StarWar Rpg's then I'm happy. Lucas didn't want to do anything but sit on the license anyway.

wolfing May 7th, 2013 01:25

single player game that requires you to be online as a 'feature', no thanks.

joxer May 7th, 2013 02:08

Somehow I miss the excitment.
Star Wars is… Um… Is it some recent MMO? What was the name… Ah, yea… TOR!
Never played it. Nor I'm planning to.

It is possible we do get what we want and what we need and that's Kotor3, singleplayer RPG. Call me when that happens. Till then, I don't see anything that would add any positiveness to EA.

axellslade May 7th, 2013 03:28

I foresee incoming Battlefield: Star Wars, because anything Battlefield will sell bazillions of units.

joxer May 7th, 2013 03:35

Just found out that EA registered thesims4.com domain.
http://www.ea.com/news/maxis-unveils-the-sims-4

Sims 4: Star Wars DLC incoming!
My dreams will come true, finally I'll be able to put Leia haircut on my toons.
OMG I'm so excited…

Corwin May 7th, 2013 04:07

If it's EA, then NO WAY!!

rune_74 May 7th, 2013 05:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by joxer (Post 1061196701)
Somehow I miss the excitment.
Star Wars is… Um… Is it some recent MMO? What was the name… Ah, yea… TOR!
Never played it. Nor I'm planning to.

It is possible we do get what we want and what we need and that's Kotor3, singleplayer RPG. Call me when that happens. Till then, I don't see anything that would add any positiveness to EA.

You do know that TOR plays a lot like KOTOR right?

Terry May 7th, 2013 06:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corwin (Post 1061196726)
If it's EA, then NO WAY!!

You took the words right out of my mouth!

Zloth May 7th, 2013 06:54

I've got a really bad feeling about this. I guess there's no point in making a judgment until the games come out, though.

Dr. A May 7th, 2013 08:26

EA has taken a lot of flack recently (and numerous times in the past as well).

I'll just leave this here :P

Riddam May 7th, 2013 09:56

The reach of the sith grows long indeed.

Sergorn May 7th, 2013 12:25

Knights of the New Republic ?

-Sergorn

Maylander May 7th, 2013 12:52

It's not like LucasArts were producing tons of awesome SW games, so I hardly consider this a disaster. I'll use this awesome approach called "wait and see". Try it, it works.

wiretripped May 7th, 2013 13:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by axellslade (Post 1061196718)
I foresee incoming Battlefield: Star Wars, because anything Battlefield will sell bazillions of units.

Apparently some MOD team has taken it upon them to create a Star Wars: Battlefront successor. From what I hear, it'll be a free, standalone game in CryEngine3…

Check Star Wars: BattleCry.

Alrik Fassbauer May 7th, 2013 15:59

"Core audience" = Shooters, Action games … *facepalm*

DArtagnan May 7th, 2013 18:54

They say games - but what they mean is Star Wars as a service.

We're all thinking Star Wars can only go up from here, right?

Can't wait ;)

txa1265 May 7th, 2013 18:57

EA won 'worst company in America ' two years in a row for a reason

Carnifex May 7th, 2013 19:14

Pretty sure this means I won't be buying any new Star Wars games.

-Carn