RPGWatch Forums
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 Last »

RPGWatch Forums (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Non-RPG (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Released kickstarter games (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20742)

Nameless one June 9th, 2013 21:13

Released kickstarter games

I think we need thread to keep track of released kickstarter and indiegogo games with few short words and thoughts about.

RPG
Spoiler

MMO
Spoiler

Strategy
Spoiler

Platformer
Spoiler

Adventure
Spoiler

Action
Spoiler

Racing
Spoiler

So what are you opinions about games crowdfunding brought so far?What games did I miss?

sakichop June 9th, 2013 21:37

Nothing I've funded has released yet. So I still in a wait and see phase. I do know that I've stopped funding any until I see some return on my intial games.

I will however pledge much less per game in the future. I underestimated the number of game that would be kickstarted any put big sums in to the first ones I had interest in. That left me reluctant to put money in to others.

I will be more selective, pledge less per game and whether or not the game can be funded easily or not will all start to factor in to my kickstarter decisions.

For now I will watch the release dates slip and continue to wait for my first kickstarter to release.

joxer June 9th, 2013 23:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nameless one (Post 1061202450)
FTL- huge kickstarter success and even more on release,good reviews.Very good game imo.

Never heard of it before.

So I checked metacritic and found this:
"A decent game ruined by the unfairness of the gambling based game play which more than often rolls the dice against you."

A game where luck is more important than skill? Not my pair of shoes.

About Expeditions:Conq. I can say only good things.
Dunno how I didn't supported it's KS project, but if they do another I'll back it up for sure.

Drithius June 10th, 2013 00:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nameless one (Post 1061202450)
Defense grid expansion -I didn't back this because I think they could found publisher easily but I did buy it and I think new levels are good but not great.

I think it should be noted that, a couple months after the extra content got published, the developers were finally able to land financing for a bonafide sequel. And backers for the Kickstarter content will be getting this sequel free of charge.

Fnord June 10th, 2013 00:59

Reversion: Chapter 2 - The meeting Adventure game with a small indiegogo campaign. Reached its goals with a few $ to spare. Alright reviews, has been in a bundle, don't know how well it has sold.

jhwisner June 10th, 2013 02:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by joxer (Post 1061202464)

"A decent game ruined by the unfairness of the gambling based game play which more than often rolls the dice against you."

That's hardly representative of most reviews of the game and not a very accurate review at that. Out of the 42 reviews on metacritic, one was mixed and 41 were positive. Out of the user reviews 141 were positive, 11 mixed, and 29 negative. Amidst that complaints about it being unfair sound more like an audience unused to hard and at-times-unforgiving games than it being MORE about luck than skill. Luck can certainly shape a single session, but generally skill is more important overall. Though obviously a game created so you will be very hard pressed to succeed on your first attempt and designed for re-playability is not everyone's cup of tea.

Surprised you hadn't heard of it yet too given the fairly large post-release press coverage it received including numerous game of the year nominations and several awards.

Nameless one June 10th, 2013 08:40

Quote:

I would disagree with that.Sure it's roguealike you can die on string of bad luck but in vast majority of cases it's up to player.Dieing horribly in first few sectors is expected in first several games but after that reaching last sector isn't that hard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fnord (Post 1061202480)
Reversion: Chapter 2 - The meeting Adventure game with a small indiegogo campaign. Reached its goals with a few $ to spare. Alright reviews, has been in a bundle, don't know how well it has sold.

Added to OP, I hope you don't mid if I just copy/paste your description since I am unfamiliar with game.

GhanBuriGhan June 10th, 2013 11:04

Most of the ones release so far were KS to top off mostly finished or at least near-alpha state, largely self-funded projects. It will be interesing to compare these later with games that rely exclusively or largely exclusively on KS funding.

Nameless one June 10th, 2013 11:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by GhanBuriGhan (Post 1061202539)
Most of the ones release so far were KS to top off mostly finished or at least near-alpha state, largely self-funded projects. It will be interesing to compare these later with games that rely exclusively or largely exclusively on KS funding.

There isn't much of those since majority of project are at least partially self funded (most of smaller projects don't get far without alpha footage),but yes it will be interesting comparison,hopefully soon since shadowrun returns and banner sage fully KS funded games are not far from release.

BTW do you plan do reviews on any of those?That would be awesome.

Couchpotato June 10th, 2013 12:04

Quote:

That's the whole point of the game Joxer your outnumbered and have to survive. The game doesn't make it easy for you.

joxer June 10th, 2013 12:33

When I want to challenge my luck I'm playing cards.
When I want to check my "skills" I'm not.
Did you forget my posts about StarTrek Online and their gambling boxes scheme that drove me away from that game?

There is something when you play or when you design a game called "game balance". Too much of luck involved in gameending scenarios (party KO, death od the main character, etc) means poor balance. I'm aware some ppl enjoy exactly that. I'm not.

Also, keep in mind that many ppl "protested" on Risen2 jungle traps. Basically those were made as lucky hit on the keyboard or you have to reload. To me something like that isn't fun.

wolfing June 10th, 2013 12:35

Quote:

About Expeditions:Conq. I can say only good things.
Dunno how I didn't supported it's KS project, but if they do another I'll back it up for sure.

you got it wrong really. It's not that luck is more important than skill. It's that most games nowadays are made so that you can succeed even with bad luck. Skill is important (more than luck). Even in D&D, the most skilled player will lose to a string of critical 1s :)

Roq June 10th, 2013 12:53

I think the release date projections of Kickstarter games have been and continue to be wildly over optimistic. The problem is partly that posting an early release date is going to get you more funding. But, it's not, for the most part, that devs are being intentionally misleading - in software development shit always happens and games have never met their projected release dates.

The fact is that all but the simplest single player games take 2+ years to develop at least and Kickstarter funding hasn't been around much longer than that.

GhanBuriGhan June 10th, 2013 13:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nameless one (Post 1061202542)
There isn't much of those since majority of project are at least partially self funded (most of smaller projects don't get far without alpha footage),but yes it will be interesting comparison,hopefully soon since shadowrun returns and banner sage fully KS funded games are not far from release.

Right, strictly speaking all or most of the KS projects also have some other funding thrown in, so it's maybe not that easy to distinguis. Still it seemed like some games like Shadowrung, Wasteland 2, PE, etc. were not really beyond the concept stage when they ran their campaign. Others, like Dead State , Banner Sage, Legend of Eisenwald had a little more to show, but were still clearly pre-alpha.
Giana Sisters, Expeditions, or Divinity OS seemed to be much further along, and funding seemed to be for refinement and polish, more than to bring the game into being in the first place.

Quote:

BTW do you plan do reviews on any of those?That would be awesome.
I have no plans yet. But I enjoyed writing the Expeditons review and since some people seem to have enjoyed reading it, I think I'll try to write some more in the future. If I do, it's definitely these small and mid-size indie developer games that currently interest me the most. The biggest hurdle in my case is finding enough time to do a halfway timely review - I could only do the last one because I had some free long weekends.

Galaad June 10th, 2013 15:56

FTL is pretty great, luck plays a role but its not by any means the defining factor that makes it so you win or lose.

As you learn the game and get better, unlock new ships with different play style, you can overcome most ''bad luck" events. In fact, without that the game would end up too easy and lose the awesome replayability it offers.

JDR13 June 10th, 2013 22:56

+1 for FTL… definitely a very good game for what it is. I don't normally play Roguelikes, but I got a surprising amount of enjoyment from that one.

Thrasher June 10th, 2013 23:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roq (Post 1061202554)
I think the release date projections of Kickstarter games have been and continue to be wildly over optimistic. The problem is partly that posting an early release date is going to get you more funding. But, it's not, for the most part, that devs are being intentionally misleading - in software development shit always happens and games have never met their projected release dates.

The fact is that all but the simplest single player games take 2+ years to develop at least and Kickstarter funding hasn't been around much longer than that.

More importantly my impression is that they vastly underestimate the resources required to develop good games. Typical new developer behavior, by those who haven't the experience developing a full game production.

Nameless one June 11th, 2013 11:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrasher (Post 1061202652)
More importantly my impression is that they vastly underestimate the resources required to develop good games. Typical new developer behavior, by those who haven't the experience developing a full game production.

I think that underestimating release date can be really dangerous for some team since they can run out of funds before project is complete.That happened to aterdux(legends of eisenwald dev) and they had to seek publisher funds.

Fnord June 11th, 2013 23:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by joxer (Post 1061202549)
When I want to challenge my luck I'm playing cards.
When I want to check my "skills" I'm not.
Did you forget my posts about StarTrek Online and their gambling boxes scheme that drove me away from that game?

There is something when you play or when you design a game called "game balance". Too much of luck involved in gameending scenarios (party KO, death od the main character, etc) means poor balance. I'm aware some ppl enjoy exactly that. I'm not.

Also, keep in mind that many ppl "protested" on Risen2 jungle traps. Basically those were made as lucky hit on the keyboard or you have to reload. To me something like that isn't fun.

The thing is though that luck & skill are not mutually exclusive. A large part in many games that have a luck element (be it Temple of Elemental Evil, Warhammer 40k, Fire Emblem or World in Flames) is planing around it, making sure that you never leave yourself overly exposed when the dice don't go your way and knowing how statistics can be worked to your favour. And this holds true for FTL as well.

Thrasher June 12th, 2013 00:02

Even cards for that matter. A skilled hearts player can win a round with a poorly dealt hand as well as with a great one. A neophyte, not so much.