RPGWatch Forums

RPGWatch Forums (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Comments (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Follow The Money - How The Gaming Industry Makes Money (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20743)

Couchpotato June 10th, 2013 01:20

Follow The Money - How The Gaming Industry Makes Money
 
A new Indiegogo crowdfunding campaign seeks funds to make a documentary about how the gaming industry makes money.
Quote:

WHAT IS "FOLLOW THE MONEY?

Follow The Money is a new original documentary series from the creators of SHIFT. We'll examine how your money finances the gaming industry by going in-depth into the cost of game development, the future of Digital Rights Management, and even the struggling gaming press industry. Free isn't always 'free', and Follow The Money is going to change your perspective of video games as we move into the new generation of consoles.

How to help
Crowd sourcing content is the only way to get indie projects financed. Corporations rely on volume internet traffic for revenue. By speaking directly to a smaller audience, providing content that they want to see, my creative team ensures quality without compromise.

From the creator of SHIFT. on GameTrailers.com
This new documentary is being created independent any publishing arm. Follow The Money isn't the type of media that would draw enough traffic to generate controversy, but gamers want it.

joxer June 10th, 2013 01:20

Puh-lease.
They present an idea to fifty ppl with IQ lower than 90. If all 50 like it, they fund the game. And we all buy it because we want to play something and quality stuff is rare.

No need to make a documentary.

Couchpotato June 10th, 2013 01:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by joxer (Post 1061202470)
Puh-lease.
They present an idea to fifty ppl with IQ lower than 90. If all 50 like it, they fund the game. And we all buy it because we want to play something and quality stuff is rare.

No need to make a documentary.

Joxer you hate everything this sounds interesting.:) It will be good to expose how the whole process works. This stuff does matter to the average consumer especially with the way things are heading the industry.

DArtagnan June 10th, 2013 10:19

People think they can analyse success and then predict it.

It's not terribly new or exciting - if you ask me.

GhanBuriGhan June 10th, 2013 11:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by DArtagnan (Post 1061202526)
People think they can analyse success and then predict it.

It's not terribly new or exciting - if you ask me.

What makes you think that that's the intention here?

DArtagnan June 10th, 2013 12:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by GhanBuriGhan (Post 1061202537)
What makes you think that that's the intention here?

The thread title and joxer's comment.

Couchpotato June 10th, 2013 12:36

Well I guess we all know how the industry works just because we play games right Dart?;) I can pull predictions out my magic hat also.

DArtagnan June 10th, 2013 12:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Couchpotato (Post 1061202543)
Well I guess we all know how the industry works just because we play games right Dart?;) I can pull predictions out my magic hat also.

I do a lot more than play games, Couch.

One thing I claim to know is how people work at their most basic level. Playing games has nothing to do with that.

But I do spend significant amounts of time trying to understand the industry and business side of things - so I probably know more than you'd think.

As for the article - I don't know if it matches the thread title - but I was under the impression that you're not trying to mislead anyone with it ;)

Couchpotato June 10th, 2013 12:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by DArtagnan (Post 1061202544)
I do a lot more than play games, Couch.

One thing I claim to know is how people work at their most basic level. Playing games has nothing to do with that.

But I do spend significant amounts of time trying to understand the industry and business side of things - so I probably know more than you'd think.

As for the article - I don't know if it matches the thread title - but I was under the impression that you're not trying to mislead anyone with it ;)


I'll take your word on that Dart. It shows in most of your posts anyway.:p I'm still interested as most of the industry decisions come of as baffling anyway.

To put it simply "What the Hell are they thinking lately?" Look at the new consoles for that question.

kalniel June 10th, 2013 17:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Couchpotato (Post 1061202545)
To put it simply "What the Hell are they thinking lately?" Look at the new consoles for that question.

Going after new market share? I don't own any of the current gen of consoles, but I'm thinking of getting an XBox One or maybe a PS4 (less likely).


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:04.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch