RPGWatch Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2

RPGWatch Forums (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Comments (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Balrum - A 2D Isometric Fantasy RPG (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20744)

Couchpotato June 10th, 2013 00:48

Balrum - A 2D Isometric Fantasy RPG

We received a new email today about a new Indie RPG called Balrum. I'm sure many of you will be interested I know I am.

Quote:

My name is George and me and my fellow developer Attila have been working on our PC RPG game for about 2 years now. In the game you need to survive with your grandfather in a village hidden from the world. Ultimately, you will find out about the reason why the village is hidden, and after that, you will explore the world that has been hidden from you. The game mixes elements from: Gothic, Arx Fatalis, Arcanum, Ultima, Eschalon Book, TES, Thief.

Main features of our game:

-crafting (craft and name your own potions, armors, weapons..)
-farming (to survive you must eat, maintain your farm to always have food on you..)
-building (build your home, craft furniture, make chests for your loot..)
-combat (hybrid turn based, cooldowns, buffs, debuffs, AOE, lots of different spells with truly different mechanics..)
-exploration (explore huge dungeons, find hidden treasure, explore deep forests..)
-stealth (use water arrows to disable distant torches to ensure that you remain hidden in the shadows..)
-lots of clickable stuff (mushrooms, plants, minerals, and other materials..)
-HD resolution, dynamic lighting.. blah blah and stuff like that :)
More information.

joxer June 10th, 2013 00:48

So it's farmville within RPG? Not a bad idea…

When, where, what… Whatever.
I'm buying.

Couchpotato June 10th, 2013 00:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by joxer (Post 1061202474)
So it's farmville within RPG? Not a bad idea…

When, where, what… Whatever.
I'm buying.

He didn't say when just that the kickstarter will be soon. I'll update when it does.

rune_74 June 10th, 2013 01:05

Some of that art looks like it is directly out of Eschalon.

azarhal June 10th, 2013 01:11

Oh looks nice.

revjwh June 10th, 2013 01:52

rune_74 that was my first thought! In fact even the screen capture before I clicked to play it reminded me so much I thought for a moment it was Eschalon III. I hope they didn't rip it from the team …. perhaps a quick email on basiliskgames site will let them check it out.

Couchpotato June 10th, 2013 01:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by revjwh (Post 1061202489)
rune_74 that was my first thought! In fact even the screen capture before I clicked to play it reminded me so much I thought for a moment it was Eschalon III. I hope they didn't rip it from the team …. perhaps a quick email on basiliskgames site will let them check it out.

If it is well they have a problem then. Let me remind you though you can use the same engine if it's available to use freely. The basic tilesets are not owned by anybody.

Though in there own words it is there own.
Quote:

The Engine

Balrum uses our own inhouse engine.From the start we wanted to create an engine that is really fast and not demanding.

A few features:

-PC, Mac, Linux
-2D Isomertic, tile based
-The engine allows you to play the game at really high resolutions.
-dynamic lighting
-directional sound
-resizeable GUI
-smooth fog of war
-weather effects
-day/night cycle
-low system requirements even at maximum settings

System requirements:

CPU: 1.6Ghz (even Atom)

Memory: 1GB is recommended but if your system is tidy than 512MB will do.
Graphics card: Intel: GMA945 or an ATi/NVIDIA card that is no more than 7 years old

Minimum resolution: 960×576

BalconyTeam June 10th, 2013 02:01

Hi everyone! :)

Thanks for the nice comments!
We have a professional graphics team behind us, so don't worry :)
But it's good to hear that we at least look like eschalon book 3! :)
(for 2 uni students that is a real honor)

As Couchpotato said, we are planning to start a kickstarter campaign really soon!

Caddy June 10th, 2013 02:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by revjwh (Post 1061202489)

My thoughts too. However if it's legit, an Eschalon clone is for sure not a bad thing.

Caddy June 10th, 2013 02:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by BalconyTeam (Post 1061202491)
Hi everyone! :)

Thanks for the nice comments!
We have a professional graphics team behind us, so don't worry :)
But it's good to hear that we at least look like eschalon book 3! :)
(for 2 uni students that is a real honor)

As Couchpotato said, we are planning to start a kickstarter campaign really soon!

Im excited to see this progress. These kind of games bring me back to Ultima 7 times :)

rune_74 June 10th, 2013 02:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Couchpotato (Post 1061202490)
If it is well they have a problem then. Let me remind you though you can use the same engine if it's available to use freely. The basic tilesets are not owned by anybody.

Though in there own words it is there own.

It is a propitiatory engine made by basilisk games so, no that isn't possible. I'm glad they have their own team, just thought it looked very familiar.

Carnifex June 10th, 2013 02:59

It does look good, I'll be waiting to hear more. No such thing as too many games!!

-Carn

crpgnut June 10th, 2013 04:39

I've stopped tracking the million indie games that start development and get halfway. If the game hits beta, I'll be interested as well. Till then, I just don't have time to get excited over every trailer. Good luck though.

ikbenrichard June 10th, 2013 09:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by rune_74 (Post 1061202484)
Some of that art looks like it is directly out of Eschalon.

Indeed, my thoughts exactly.
An instand buy :)

Yme June 10th, 2013 10:06

Looks cool. Worth to keep an eye on.

Roq June 10th, 2013 10:13

I'm skeptical of single player, single character RPGs, especially ones with turn based gameplay. On the face of it, combat isn't going to be very interesting with only one role to play and you lose out in other ways over party RPGs, for instance one character can only use so much loot, you can't have cooperating roles (which restricts the stats and progression aspects) etc.

tl;dr Add companions please!

Moorkh June 10th, 2013 11:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roq (Post 1061202533)
tl;dr Add companions please!

/signed.

Aside from that and combat, this really looks rather promising. Would certainly support on kickstarter.

GhanBuriGhan June 10th, 2013 11:10

They seem to have come quite far already, game looks pretty good and functional in the video. I'll be interested to hear more. But with the current strong resurgence of games of this type, I'll need to see a few things that set this apart from other similar projects to convince me to pledge.

ToddMcF2002 June 10th, 2013 12:36

It didn't just look like Eschalon, it played like it. Time only progresses in Eschalon when you act. This looked the same. Hmmmmm….

Sir_Brennus June 10th, 2013 13:04

Really hate the art style.

Gameplay seems worthwile, though.