RPGWatch Forums

RPGWatch Forums (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/index.php)
-   RPGWatch (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Too many news articles on front page. (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20893)

Drithius June 18th, 2013 07:04

Too many news articles on front page.

Is there any way to edit how many news articles show up on the main site? I'm actually locked out of scrolling my browser for a couple seconds while everything finishes loading - it's kind of annoying.

Myrthos June 18th, 2013 12:49

No there is not. You could limit the displayed news to a single day though, like http://www.rpgwatch.com/?showdate=2013-06-17.
This displays all news of the 17th of June 2013.

SpoonFULL June 18th, 2013 13:05

I have something similar, where my browser gets locked out for few seconds when I open rpgwatch. I can see my cursour going on and off for few seconds and it also hangs up loading other pages if they are open.

I don't think that it is related to the news, as this has started for me few months ago before rpgwatch moved to the new server and before the additional news (which by the way is excellent and saves me going through multiple sites for news).

By the way, I am using Firefox.

joxer June 18th, 2013 13:33

Sppon is on the right track here.
Firefox became problematic. In my case rpgwatch is not the site I experience a temporary freeze, but many other sites tend to lock FF for a few seconds. Dunno how to solve it (except switching to another browser).

JDR13 June 18th, 2013 13:36

Do you mean you can't click on any links for a few seconds because your mouse pointer won't change to the hand icon? If so, the same thing started happening to me a few weeks ago.

I'm using IE 10.

SpoonFULL June 18th, 2013 13:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDR13 (Post 1061203838)
Do you mean you can't click on any links for a few seconds because your mouse pointer won't change to the hand icon? If so, the same thing started happening to me a few weeks ago.

I'm using IE 10.

Exactly.

Alrik Fassbauer June 18th, 2013 18:11

Is this perhaps due to a new engine being used within the browsers ?

Drithius June 18th, 2013 19:22

Using Chrome myself. This is the only site that this temporary lockup occurs on. The page is simply stuck loading for a couple seconds: links are unable to be clicked and scrolling is not possible.

Lucky Day June 18th, 2013 19:54

I've never had a problem and I've always used Firefox. I'm on FF 21 now and no problem still.

Myrthos June 18th, 2013 23:48

I can always scroll in Firefox. It is a bit slower for a few seconds when there are many references to videos on the front page though.
Also on the engine side nothing changed after the move. What did change is that we are using a newer version of Apache, and PHP and ads are being served differently.

Does this happen only on the front page? Or also on forum pages?
Is it only the first time? If you reload does it also happen?

Drithius June 19th, 2013 00:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myrthos (Post 1061203950)
Does this happen only on the front page? Or also on forum pages?
Is it only the first time? If you reload does it also happen?

Only on the front page that I have noticed; happens with each reload. Everything is fine for the first ~1 second of the page load, then it locks up for a couple seconds. Other browser tabs are seemingly unaffected during this brief window.

This is not a huge problem but it is a nuisance when you load up the site, scroll down to see new information, and get stopped in your tracks for a moment.

Interestingly, there's no hitch when I solely load up June 17th's articles using that link you provided - and it has 4 embedded videos. Perhaps the stalling occurs if the browser is still waiting for a particular video preview (wild guess).

wolfgrimdark June 19th, 2013 00:18

Just to post feedback, I use IE 10 and FF 21 and haven't had any issues.

Alrik Fassbauer June 19th, 2013 15:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drithius (Post 1061203958)
Interestingly, there's no hitch when I solely load up June 17th's articles using that link you provided - and it has 4 embedded videos. Perhaps the stalling occurs if the browser is still waiting for a particular video preview (wild guess).

Good catch. I assume that this could be the cause, too.
Especially because I notice similar behaviour with my browser from time to time as well (regarding embedded videos).

txa1265 June 19th, 2013 15:29

No issues ever with Safari on Mac or iPad …

Drithius June 24th, 2013 04:54

Just a minor update on my end: it's no longer hitching. I haven't done anything in this interim so it was likely a specific article/video that was causing the issue.

GhanBuriGhan September 18th, 2013 12:26

I get a considerable lockup on load again now, anyone else (IE)?