RPGWatch Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

RPGWatch Forums (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/index.php)
-   General RPG (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   The Incredible Brilliance of Might & Magic (VI) (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20975)

TheMadGamer June 25th, 2013 21:34

The Incredible Brilliance of Might & Magic (VI)

Like probably many of you, from time to time I tend to get into a gaming rut. It doesn't even mean that there aren't any games to play. But whatever game I think of trying my brain will say, 'meh' I don't want to play that game for xyz reason.

Yesterday I was searching for something to play. Start a new Skyrim toon? Meh no thanks. Try to finish KoA: Reckoning… fired it up and was meh this game is boring. Try to get into Witcher 2 for the 18th time… too much of an 'on rails' feel for me, pass. I had some free time to play and just couldn't think of what to play.

But I can always fall back on the tried and true Might & Magic franchise. I replayed VII and VIII about a year and a half ago but I picked up 1-6 on GoG recently so I thought what the heck, let's play M&M 6.

What a masterpiece this game is. It's especially fun with the fan patches that allow mouse-look and let you reassign keyboard keys. But I digress.

M&M 6 does so many things right, you get addicted almost immediately. There is a constant stream of improvements whether its gear, skill, experience, or some other handy item. Plenty of quests that make you actually go search them out appeals to my completionist side of me to search out every little nook and cranny which almost always yields useful things.

It always amazes me how fun some of these games from yesteryear are and how rarely they are mimicked by contemporary developers too busy putting question marks and exclamation points over things to lead you by the nose, so that you can toss more gold on the gold pile you have nothing to spend it on and so that you can level up while every other living thing in the game world levels up with you.

Once again, I'm totally hooked on M&M. I hope the new M&M re-make will capture these addictive gameplay elements that keep you saying, 'just one more this' and 'just one more that' only to realize you've been playing hours longer than you should have.

Thrasher June 25th, 2013 21:39

Hmmmmm…. need to play VI yet. Gah, just deciding on my next game to play will be difficult…

TheMadGamer June 25th, 2013 21:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrasher (Post 1061204974)
Hmmmmm…. need to play VI yet. Gah, just deciding on my next game to play will be difficult…

M&M 6 has sucked me in like a black hole. Beware.

Menigal June 25th, 2013 22:21

I'm lost in the World of Xeen at the moment, but I think this might show up on the list when I'm done with that.

crpgnut June 26th, 2013 00:27

I've played 3, and 6-8 so many times. I don't know why Xeen doesn't grab me as much. I think I might give it a shot for my next game. I've probably played the Might and Magic Series more hours than any other series except TES.

DarNoor June 26th, 2013 00:33

Glad your enjoying it. MM6 is still one of my favorite RPG's ever. Where did you get the fan patch? After all of these years, i didn't even know they existed.

Corwin June 26th, 2013 00:35

Yep, M&M 3-8 are never off my HD and I usually have several games in progress I can simply drop right back into!!

sherwinz28 June 26th, 2013 00:53

In complete agreement with your MadGamer…I've finished 6/7 a number of times and it is usually always installed on my PC. Got a new PC with Win8 recently so I need to install it. If you want a slightly different gameplay for 6 you should try The Chaos Conspiracy…here is a list of mods and what not for M&M.

http://www.celestialheavens.com/foru…ic.php?t=10622

Been playing M&M 2 on Android phone last few weeks and I'm trying to finish it…after finishing Two Worlds 1/2 over the past few weeks I need something new on my PC. I'm thinking World of Xeen. Its been too recent since I finished M&M6(TCC mod) to do it again.

TheMadGamer June 26th, 2013 01:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarNoor (Post 1061204983)
Glad your enjoying it. MM6 is still one of my favorite RPG's ever. Where did you get the fan patch? After all of these years, i didn't even know they existed.

The link to grab the mouse-look patch (but the patch also includes a good number of other features and fixes too is here (GrayFace MM6 Patch v1.11.2).

For convenience sake, here is the full list of fixes/changes found in the above patch:

Spoiler – Patch Notes

Just below that patch, on the same web page, is a link to download the MM6 Controls patch which lets you change the key mappings. Here's what I did:

W - Forward
S - Backward
A - Turn Left
D - Turn Right
E - Attack (A By Default)
F - Attack Using Specified Default Spell (S By Default)
Spacebar - Jump (I use mouse left-click to interact with objects instead of Spacebar which I prefer to jump with)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherwinz28 (Post 1061204985)

That's a great link, thank you!

Corwin June 26th, 2013 02:28

Many of the links provided by those sites don't work, or require you to 'upgrade' to a pro version of media fire in order to download.

human_male June 26th, 2013 05:30

I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets in those rutts. I can't be bothered with anything at the moment.

cacaro June 26th, 2013 15:49

My main problem with MM6 (and the later games as well, pretending that MM9 doesn't exist) is the lack of variety in quests: they're basically all fetch quests. Aside from that, though, I do agree that the game is great and highly addictive. I'm pretty sure you're going to love MM7, if you haven't played it already.

Carnifex June 26th, 2013 16:16

Just fired this up last night for old times sake, thanks for the great idea. I remember playing this right before EQ 1 came out and I got in the beta for that, and that was the end of MM 6 for me. Now I can finish it!!

-Carn

DarNoor June 26th, 2013 17:05

What do you guys think of MM9? I haven't had a chance to play that. IIRC, it wasn't that well received when it came out.

Dr. A June 26th, 2013 17:54

TheMadGamer, have you tried King's Bounty? The remake is a really fun game in a similar vein to MM (since the gameplay of the original was the predecessor to MM).

pibbur who June 26th, 2013 18:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarNoor (Post 1061205076)
What do you guys think of MM9? I haven't had a chance to play that. IIRC, it wasn't that well received when it came out.

Above all it was extremely buggy. While some of them were kind of amusing to me (the map showing upside down in cities, people dying in one part of the game world, while at the same time staying healthy in other parts), others were much more serious and could completely stop you from proceeding in the game - if you didn't know about them beforehand.

In general the game should not be mentioned in polite and educated societies like the watch (outside the politics subforum, that is).

pibbur who actually finished the game and got some fun out of it. But you didn't hear that from me.

TheMadGamer June 26th, 2013 18:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by cacaro (Post 1061205066)
My main problem with MM6 (and the later games as well, pretending that MM9 doesn't exist) is the lack of variety in quests: they're basically all fetch quests.

I agree with that… the quests and even the story aren't great (they aren't terrible either). But M&M games excel at gameplay and the formula is very addicting. There is just this steady trickle of improvements you make to your toons at it never seems to stop.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carnifex (Post 1061205073)
Just fired this up last night for old times sake, thanks for the great idea. I remember playing this right before EQ 1 came out and I got in the beta for that, and that was the end of MM 6 for me. Now I can finish it!!

I was caught in that same boat Carn. EQ1 stole a number of single player games from me at the time… though eventually I played them including M&M6.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. A (Post 1061205080)
TheMadGamer, have you tried King's Bounty? The remake is a really fun game in a similar vein to MM (since the gameplay of the original was the predecessor to MM).

I haven't. But I will definitely check it out, thanks for the link!

HiddenX June 26th, 2013 18:53

Kings Bounty is similar to Heroes of Might & Magic!

We are talking about the Might & Magic CRPG series here.

dteowner June 26th, 2013 21:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarNoor (Post 1061205076)
What do you guys think of MM9?

Go wash your mouth out with soap. Potty mouth. You're lucky we don't hit you with an insta-ban.

DArtagnan June 26th, 2013 21:12

MM9 is like buying your favorite chocolate bar and discovering they've switched the tasty delicious brown with an entirely different kind of brown.