RPGWatch Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2

RPGWatch Forums (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Comments (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Baldur's Gate EE - Pulled at Atari's Request (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20982)

Couchpotato June 26th, 2013 14:16

Baldur's Gate EE - Pulled at Atari's Request

According to a quote from Trent Oster on GameInformer we now have official confirmation that Atari is behind the request.

Quote:

Beamdog suddenly removed the game from its own site and the App Store citing a legal issue with a publishing partner. While CEO Trent Oster told us that there's not much more he can say on the matter, he did reveal that it was at the request of Atari's legal team that the actions were taken.

"At the request of Atari legal we removed the game from sale on Beamdog and the App stores," Oster explained. "Atari is still selling the game through their channels. We're trying to remedy the situation and I'm hopeful we can come to an arrangement."

More information.

duerer June 26th, 2013 14:16

Oh, what a surprise. Where is my LawyerBasher +3 when I need it the most? :(

DArtagnan June 26th, 2013 14:20

Atari are doing what they can to retain their popular public image ;)

JDR13 June 26th, 2013 14:40

Other than publishing the Witcher games, I can't think of anything positive Atari has done in nearly a decade.

Nameless one June 26th, 2013 15:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDR13 (Post 1061205055)
Other than publishing the Witcher games, I can't think of anything positive Atari has done in nearly a decade.

Publishing Mask of betrayer also.

Alrik Fassbauer June 26th, 2013 15:47

I'm sure it's because they still sell it in Germany (in an "Anthology" package) and don't want their selling to be crippled.

gandalf.nho June 26th, 2013 16:05

I thinked Hasbro had recovered all the rights regarding the IE games…

Carnifex June 26th, 2013 17:11

Sure glad I picked this up last year because it's gonna be in limbo hell now for years, sadly =xxxx.

-Carn

mercy June 26th, 2013 17:29

Try first to create a top-notch BG:EE that scores 90-95% on most sites, than complain dear Beamdog.

blatantninja June 26th, 2013 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercy (Post 1061205074)
Try first to create a top-notch BG:EE that scores 90-95% on most sites, than complain dear Beamdog.

Yeah, because an update of a 15 year old game is going to receive scores of 90-95% on most sites. That's a reasonable expectation. :rolleyes:

Avantenor June 26th, 2013 18:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by DArtagnan (Post 1061205050)
Atari are doing what they can to retain their popular public image ;)

Only for 22 days from now, then it's over and we don't have to mind any longer. Okay, just as long as it takes wrapping up this whole insolvency process.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer (Post 1061205061)
I'm sure it's because they still sell it in Germany (in an "Anthology" package) and don't want their selling to be crippled.

All european publishing of Atari titles is handled by third-party distributors. Atari withdrew from the European market in 2009, when they were selling all there distribution subsidiaries (or shutting them down). Atari is also earning money with BG:EE. The steam release is totally under their control, that's the reason it didn't get pulled like the Beamdog and iOS versions.

rjshae June 26th, 2013 18:25

Despite valiant efforts, our heroes were laid low by the slaps of flimsy parchment and much suffering was spread upon the gamer's realms. Thus didst yon barristers pontificate at great length amidst much gnashing of teeth.

axellslade June 26th, 2013 18:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjshae (Post 1061205078)
Despite valiant efforts, our heroes were laid low by the slaps of flimsy parchment and much suffering was spread upon the gamer's realms. Thus didst yon barristers pontificate at great length amidst much gnashing of teeth.

Hear ye! Hear ye!

azarhal June 26th, 2013 21:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by gandalf.nho (Post 1061205063)
I thinked Hasbro had recovered all the rights regarding the IE games…

So did I. Seems there was still a legal hellhole somewhere in there.

Thrasher June 26th, 2013 21:40

Maybe some acid or fire will solve the Atari problem. ;)

Lucky Day June 26th, 2013 22:09

I can hear it now on my shopping cart when I hit the purchase button:

"You must gather your party before venturing forth."

CutLunch June 27th, 2013 02:51

Ewww Atari

Can somebody use "turn undead" on Atari please?

Japol June 29th, 2013 20:36

In this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4XVW6qcuzM,Tim Cain says Atari cut extra content on TOEE an blocked the patching of it.
Whatever their reasons were,it seems that being assholes is kind of their thing

Roq July 3rd, 2013 06:35

Hmm. It's on sale -75% on Steam right now. Wonder if they resolved this or what? Or is it just the IOS version where there is a problem?

sakichop July 3rd, 2013 06:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roq (Post 1061205968)
Hmm. It's on sale -75% on Steam right now. Wonder if they resolved this or what? Or is it just the IOS version where there is a problem?

According to PC gamer:

"Strangely, you can still pick BG:EE up from Steam. Whether it’s due to be taken down is unclear, but the Steam release was handled by Atari instead of Beamdog, and so received no direct support."