RPGWatch Forums

RPGWatch Forums (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Comments (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Legend of Grimrock 2 - New Development Update (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21047)

Couchpotato July 4th, 2013 06:09

Legend of Grimrock 2 - New Development Update
 
There's a new development update for Legend of Grimrock II. It includes a brief in-character snippet, a humorous screenshot, and an update on the team's latest progress.

Quote:

Hello all! We have been pushing hard on the development of Legend of Grimrock 2 and now we are going to have a brief but sweet summer break. But before we go a recap of what has been happening is in order!

The focus of work recently has been on the building blocks of the game, the monsters, puzzles, and environment assets. After the holiday break we are going to start putting the pieces together and building the (final) game world. (I put “final” in parenthesis because I know we are going to polish and tweak the levels to the very last moment before the game ships.)

With the added musclepower of Jyri and Jyri, we have been able to push an impossibly large amount of 3D models, animations and textures out of the oven in a very short time. For example, we have 16 complete new monsters and more is coming. Combined with the monsters from Grimrock 1 we have something like 40 unique monsters, although many of the old monsters won’t make a come back in the new game. The monsters of Grimrock 2 are also much more complex, many with multiple types of special attacks and unique AI behavior.

On the wallset side, we have seven completely new environments, more than double what we had in Grimrock 1. The amount of model files, material definitions and scripts is getting really tough to handle!

On the tech side, we have implemented water rendering and integrated a video player. After carefully evaluating our options we chose to use an open source WebM/VP8 video format. Being open source means that mods can also contain cinematic videos without licensing limitations. This was very important to us. The cinematics can also be played whenever needed, no longer just at the start and end of the game.

More information.

JDR13 July 4th, 2013 06:09

Where do I pre-order? :)

rune_74 July 4th, 2013 06:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDR13 (Post 1061206102)
Where do I pre-order? :)

Agreed.

DArtagnan July 4th, 2013 08:01

I was impressed by Grimrock on a technical level - quite a bit, actually.

But the gameplay was too puzzle-oriented and there was a severe lack of interesting exploration. Now, I love puzzles - but I'm not looking to play Portal in a dungeon environment.

I hope they change the formula for the sequel.

If not, then I wish fans of the first one a good time with the next one :)

If nothing else, it's bound to even better in a technical sense.

mercy July 4th, 2013 11:35

Grimrock 1 drowned in Lake Boredom after pushing through half of the game. I hope they can make II. better.

enm July 4th, 2013 11:40

I unfortunately got bored with Legends of Grimrock rather quickly. The "nuts and bolts" aspect of the game was great, but it lacked a good storyline, character interactions, and immersive music. I hope the second one may be more inspired by for example "Lands of Lore" or "Stonekeep".

JDR13 July 4th, 2013 12:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by enm (Post 1061206143)
I hope the second one may be more inspired by for example "Lands of Lore" or "Stonekeep".

I never played Lands of Lore, but I enjoyed Grimrock a lot more than Stonekeep.

I also liked the puzzles in Grimrock for the most part, and I never felt they were overpowering like some people did. I thought the balance between puzzles, exploration, and combat was well done.

My only complaint was the limited variety of weapons and armor.

Overall, I thought it was fantastic for an indie title.

Sacred_Path July 4th, 2013 12:12

lol, character interaction in Lands of Lore?

What I hope they tweak and change is the character building. Too many choices that had no impact there.

DArtagnan July 4th, 2013 12:14

Lands of Lore actually had some character interaction - and it certainly had a much more engaging storyline.

Stonekeep, while somewhat simplistic in terms of mechanics - had a great story and a very strong atmosphere. LOVED that little novella or whatever that was you got with the game.

I'd rank both games FAR above Grimrock - even today.

JDR13 July 4th, 2013 12:19

Nostalgia can be a powerful weapon. :)

I think Stonekeep aged pretty poorly myself. I tried playing through it about two years ago, and I eventually quit about 2/3 through. Ugly and clunky as hell. I'll never understand the appeal, but to each his own.

DArtagnan July 4th, 2013 12:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDR13 (Post 1061206159)
Nostalgia can be a powerful weapon. :)

I think Stonekeep aged pretty poorly myself. I tried playing through it about two years ago, and I eventually quit about 2/3 through. Ugly and clunky as hell. I'll never understand the appeal, but to each his own.

As can projection ;)

I tried it a few months ago - and it was as atmospheric and endearing as ever. Nostalgia is an intangible force - but in terms of story and the charming FMV atmosphere, that still works far better than small bits of text here and there.

There's a lot of "production value" stuff in Stonekeep that keeps the game interesting - if you enjoy that sort of adventure/story approach.

It was never the best dungeon crawler out there - but it's still miles ahead of Grimrock - which was like playing Dungeon Master with an absurd amount of jump/timing puzzles.

But obviously, these things depend on what you enjoy - and Stonekeep isn't for everyone.

JDR13 July 4th, 2013 12:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by DArtagnan (Post 1061206162)
As can projection ;)

I tried it a few months ago - and it was as atmospheric and endearing as ever. Nostalgia is an intangible force - but in terms of story and the charming FMV atmosphere, that still works far better than small bits of text here and there.

There's a lot of "production value" stuff in Stonekeep that keeps the game interesting - if you enjoy that sort of adventure/story approach.

It was never the best dungeon crawler out there - but it's still miles ahead of Grimrock - which was like playing Dungeon Master with an absurd amount of jump/timing puzzles.

But obviously, these things depend on what you enjoy - and Stonekeep isn't for everyone.

If you say so. :)

enm July 4th, 2013 13:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sacred_Path (Post 1061206152)
lol, character interaction in Lands of Lore?

What I hope they tweak and change is the character building. Too many choices that had no impact there.

I can think of many memorable characters that I interacted with in Lands of Lore. The Draracle, Baccata, Dawn, Paulson, Victor, etc. How many memorable ones did you interact with in Legends of Grimrock?

Definitely agree with you regarding character building. I particularly disliked the illogical aspects of it, such as how archers were most capable if you dumped all their skillpoints into strength.

Sacred_Path July 4th, 2013 13:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by enm (Post 1061206174)
I can think of many memorable characters that I interacted with in Lands of Lore. The Draracle, Baccata, Dawn, Paulson, Victor, etc. How many memorable ones did you interact with in Legends of Grimrock?

Definitely agree with you regarding character building. I particularly disliked the illogical aspects of it, such as how archers were most capable if you dumped all their skillpoints into strength.

I just wouldn't exactly call it interaction since you only got a few lines of self-unfurling dialogue out of any NPC. But yeah it was better in this respect than LoG.

JemyM July 4th, 2013 15:42

Lands of Lore was among the best games of this kind. I ran through the whole series only a few years back and found the first enjoyable but I do not like trend of cutting out the party. Legend of Grimrock was fantastic. It's oldschool but in the same time modern. The atmosphere were incredible. It's the first time a game managed to get genuinely anxious and claustrophobic about being trapped in a dungeon.

Drithius July 4th, 2013 16:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by JemyM (Post 1061206191)
The [LoG] atmosphere were incredible. It's the first time a game managed to get genuinely anxious and claustrophobic about being trapped in a dungeon.

I was anxious too, but not in a good way :P Anxious to get done with the game and rid myself of the repetitive levels!


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:08.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch