RPGWatch Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

RPGWatch Forums (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Comments (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Wasteland 2 - Post-Funding Update# 34 (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21671)

Couchpotato August 29th, 2013 02:20

Wasteland 2 - Post-Funding Update# 34

InXile entertainment has a new post-funding update with a new gameplay video, and shares some new information with us.
Quote:

Visiting the Prison

Chris Keenan here for another update. We promised you a new video, and here it is, a twenty minute video walking through the Prison area.

We know there are a few hitches in the video, unfortunately we weren't going to be able to get rid of them without delaying the video, so we prioritized getting this video to you.

The Prison is the 4th or 5th area in the game depending on how you approach it. Wasteland 2 is an open game so potentially, you could travel straight to it if you want a real challenge… but it probably won’t go so well. This area was not built purely for demoing purposes and it is a straight video capture. While the level will be further polished and improved (we’re missing a bunch of sounds among other things), it gives you a sense of the final game flow. The level was the winner of an internal competition process (as mentioned last update). This is only a tiny fraction of the game which is very hard to show in a 20 minute update. It represents about 1/3rd of the prison map and isn’t even one of the larger levels, so you can imagine it can be tricky for us to share enough without too many spoilers or overwhelming you.

They also bring news of the the first dev diary.
Quote:

First Dev Diary Released

As part of the Kickstarter tiers $30 and up, we promised a four-part development diary, where our team talks about the game’s development. Part one is available now, with CEO Brian Fargo, president Matt Findley and myself talking about the game’s design and writing processes.

If you backed during the Kickstarter for $30 or more, you’ll be able to find the video by logging into your Ranger Center account. Go to the Rewards tab and scroll down to find the video.

More information.

Fantasm August 29th, 2013 02:20

Looks great and very excited, but I already miss the hex grid. :(

Fanest August 29th, 2013 03:53

is it possible that game doesnt have AA filter - cuz there is lots of rough edges everywhere or is this just video thing; other than that it looks very good

xep624 August 29th, 2013 04:34

wow, looks good.

rjshae August 29th, 2013 04:59

Well I was very impressed when they showed their demo using hexagons. Poof, it's gone. Just like that. I'm slightly less enthused now.

JDR13 August 29th, 2013 08:15

I glad to hear that the combat grid is something that can be toggled on or off. Personally, I don't want to see any kind of grid during combat when I'm playing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fanest (Post 1061216098)
is it possible that game doesnt have AA filter - cuz there is lots of rough edges everywhere or is this just video thing; other than that it looks very good

Looks fine to me. Try watching the HD version on YouTube.

JonNik August 29th, 2013 08:26

Looks like just what the Doctor ordered. If the game is as good as the couple of vids we've seen so far make it look, this is just the kind of game I want to play right now…

Quite a relief after the underwhelming SRR…

Merin August 29th, 2013 08:50

I like the video, but not as much as the first combat video they showed. I dunno, the UI and icons for the store menus and everything is just… I don't know, looks more indie than I want it to now.

I'm still super-hyped and want this, but it looks not as good as it did before for me. I'm hoping it actually being on my screen, with me able to adjust the UI a bit, makes it far more palatable.

Dusk August 29th, 2013 08:56

I've watched at HD and felt the graphic had rough edges, too. However, that's not extremely important for me (except the fear that it may affect sales). About the deletion of the hexes, does anybody know official words on it? I presume that hexes would be more important to express "facing" factor in melee focused games but, of course, it's just a guess.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonNik (Post 1061216119)
Quite a relief after the underwhelming SRR…

If I'd put more than $15, maybe…

JonNik August 29th, 2013 09:10

I would have felt underwhelmed by SRR for any amount payed for it. (and yeah 30$ was way too much)

It is just not the kind of game I want to support and definitely not pay for prerelease.

Would have made a good Steam summer sale purchase if I had nothing else on my plate, but now it'll probably just sit there gathering dust for a year or so until I whip up the enthusiasm to get to it…

Dusk August 29th, 2013 09:18

At least, you may have encouraged some devs and singled possible publishers that you would pay $30 for an RPG with TB combat, so, it was totally wasted, IMO. After all, most of us don't have time rather than money to play hardcore games, nowadays.

JonNik August 29th, 2013 09:37

Yeah, as silver linings go this is not the worst of them.

Sacred_Path August 29th, 2013 09:51

I'm braced for more oldschool/ kickstarter disappointments after SRR and RoA, and Wasteland 2 and Original Sin have moved from being mostly ignored by me to being eagerly anticipated.

Gloo August 29th, 2013 12:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fantasm (Post 1061216084)
Looks great and very excited, but I already miss the hex grid. :(

If you watch the entire video it's said that this is an option !
I'm really impressed by the work done so far on this project and as it goes by now that'll be an instabuy for me ! I recently played a bit of the original Wasteland and while watching the video I felt the same feelings as while playing , to me that's a good sign the sequel recaptured the spirit of the original. One thing bothers me a bit though, it's about how LoS appears to be dealt with here. I find it to be short sighted at best, so to speak.

daveyd August 29th, 2013 15:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gloo (Post 1061216149)
If you watch the entire video it's said that this is an option !
I'm really impressed by the work done so far on this project and as it goes by now that'll be an instabuy for me ! I recently played a bit of the original Wasteland and while watching the video I felt the same feelings as while playing , to me that's a good sign the sequel recaptured the spirit of the original. One thing bothers me a bit though, it's about how LoS appears to be dealt with here. I find it to be short sighted at best, so to speak.

Key word, hex, as in hexagon. Displaying the grid is indeed optional, but it's been changed to a square / diamond grid as opposed to the hexagon based grid shown in their "first look" video.

I think this change is a bit disappointing, but maybe doesn't matter all that much considering that combat will be primarily with ranged weapons (as Dusk suggested).

felipepepe August 29th, 2013 16:09

I did a quick map of the demo area + developer's comments, thought would be interesting to share here:

rjshae August 29th, 2013 16:53

The timing on the husband's return was a little bit too convenient… :p

Zaphod August 29th, 2013 16:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by felipepepe (Post 1061216176)
I did a quick map of the demo area + developer's comments, thought would be interesting to share here:

Yeah, what we've seen of this map design is fairly linear but keep in mind that they are trying to minimise spoilers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Keenan
This is only a tiny fraction of the game which is very hard to show in a 20 minute update. It represents about 1/3rd of the prison map and isn’t even one of the larger levels, so you can imagine it can be tricky for us to share enough without too many spoilers or overwhelming you.

felipepepe August 29th, 2013 17:08

I think the problem is deeper… obviously they didn't show all the areas, but they do seem to have done everything in the areas shown in the video… this means that all you can do at the Gas Station is crack that safe and listen to the broadcast, for example.

It shows a really shallow design, very "Theme Park-like", with various paths leading to places were you do event and thats it. Fallout and Baldur's Gate have open areas, full of people and places, that you explore and end up finding stuff to do. Here they are thrown upon you, and there is nothing to do besides them. This is supposed to be a residential area, yet there is not a single non-quest-related NPC, no one walking around, nothing going on besides quests.

kalniel August 29th, 2013 17:19

I'm sure that's partly polish related, but don't forget, this is a budget title. It's not going to compare to blockbusters like baldurs gate - keeping the design a little linear helps maximise value as you don't waste assets.