RPGWatch Forums

RPGWatch Forums (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Comments (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Witcher 3 - Interview @ GamingBolt (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21914)

Couchpotato September 20th, 2013 03:49

Witcher 3 - Interview @ GamingBolt

GamingBolt interviewed Senior Level Designer Peter Gelencser to talk about the games comparison With Skyrim, random encounters, and customisation.

Quote:

Skyrimís kind of an obvious comparison that everyone draws. As designers, what game would you like The Witcher 3 to be compared to? I mean any games or television programsÖ

To be honest, itself. Because we donít create properties to be compared and to be based on other values. It should be good on its own. We are iterating, basically, the feedback we got on The Witcher 1 and 2. We want to make it comfortable and accessible and efficient for you guys. So itís your game. Thatís why itís not like itís better than Skyrim or better than something. Itís good for you and you like it, and thatís it.

Is there any customization of Geralt himself?

I mean, weíre trying to maintain the standards weíve established with the RPG features in the previous games. So customization will obviously include customization of items and equipment and all that. Other than that, weíre considering many possibilities, of course, and if we come to terms with any of them, we will probably feature them in one of our later presentations.

The Witcher 2 wasnít exactly open world. Do you think going open world in TW3 presents a risk of losing what made The Witcher 1 and 2 so concise?

Actually I donít think so. Because it was the story that came first, and then it kind of pushed out the environment. Because again, as I said, basically the vastness of the open world is there for you to explore the story. We really mean that. Itís going to be better than this. The vast open world is going to be full of opportunities and chances. So itís not like everybody said ďoh, letís make an open world game and letís fill it with chickens and whatever.Ē We came up with a huge story, that we have to put in some sort of a box. And this box is going to big.

More information.

joxer September 20th, 2013 03:49

Quote:

So it’s not like everybody said “oh, let’s make an open world game and let’s fill it with chickens and whatever.”
It wasn't chicken.
It was draugr.

Pessimeister September 20th, 2013 04:14

Bit of an odd response: We want the game to be compared to itself, although I certainly understand the relativism in appealing to fans as being a key measuring stick.

However in the first question at least, I think it wouldn't hurt to be more honest and to directly acknowledge open world mechanics as having existed in other games that have already come before it and not just in Skyrim.

zahratustra September 20th, 2013 16:01

Agreed. There is taking pride in your work and than there is hubris…

JDR13 September 21st, 2013 09:45

I disagree. I don't see a problem with a developer wanting their work to be judged on its own rather than being compared to another game.