RPGWatch Forums

RPGWatch Forums (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Comments (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Witcher 3 - Video Interview @ GOG (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22302)

Couchpotato November 2nd, 2013 05:19

Witcher 3 - Video Interview @ GOG
 
CD Projekt Red was interviewed on GOG.com about DRM, and The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt being pirated on release.



Quote:

Yesterday, CD Projekt RED announced that The Witcher 3 would be released 100% DRM-free on PCs. Since we're near the RED offices, GOG.com interviewed joint CEO and co-founder Marcin Iwinski about his recent announcement and asked something that a lot of gamers want to know: why?

More information.

SirJames November 2nd, 2013 05:19

Forgiven, not forgotten…

CD Projekt, the makers of The Witcher 2, are chasing down alleged file-sharers. The company urges those who are caught to pay a settlement fee, or face an even higher fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eurogamer
Of course we're not happy when people are pirating our games, so we are signing with legal firms and torrent sneaking companies," CD Projekt co-founder Marcin Iwiński told Eurogamer. "In quite a few big countries, when people are downloading it illegally they can expect a letter from a legal firm saying, 'Hey, you downloaded it illegally and right now you have to pay a fine.' We are totally fair, but if you decide you will not buy it legally there is a chance you'll get a letter."

One can't help but wonder if this video would exist if there were any other choice…

Couchpotato November 2nd, 2013 05:27

Well you learn the hard way as they say. They tried to do something and it back fired. As for me I don't hold a grudge against them since the game was pirated more than a million times.

Arkadia7 November 2nd, 2013 13:53

Wow, how refreshing. They just picked up a sale from me because of this, looking forward to pre-ordering it next year.

you November 2nd, 2013 15:33

Many games I wait for sales but there are a few games I buy at full price because I like the companies and I can afford it. I purchased Witcher 2 at full price and will likely do so with Witcher 3. Why? Because they do a really good job supporting the games after they have been released and I mostly like the games. The same is also true with larian (even though I had my doubts about DC; and I still think it is a rather poor game - though DKS was fantastic and I expect well of DOS). Trumph studio is another (AOW3). When it comes to major publishers (EA, UBI, …) I frequently avoid the games even if I think they might be fun or wait till they are deeply discounted. Why? The hassle of forcing me to use THEIR specific site (origin, uplay, …) the frequent lack of updates, the excessive spending on advertising and execs rather than the game itself and the fact that MANAGEMENT will make bad decisions or force studios to do things they are likely to fail at and then PUNISH (i.e, close down) the studios when they fail. Anyway one great thing steam has done (I know it is a form of drm) is it allows small studio to easily self publish.

joxer November 2nd, 2013 16:24

All I know is I've bought DRMfree TW2 on GOG when it was out (TW1 was retail with a key so it wasn't DRMfree initially, but they made it noDRM by allowing a backup copy on GOG).
And I'll buy DRMfree TW3 too. That game, just like previous ones, comes with free DLC. And nongaming freebies. Digital ones ofc, then again I don't care for cloth and rags.

And if they catch someone pirating such game, I'll join the front row of the lynch mob. Sorry guys, although thievery is a part of a society, although pirates will always exist, there should be some ethics code not to pirate just anything. Go pirate things like Sims DLC crap if you're a clepto, but please leave CDpr alone.

Should I mention that TW1/2 are on sales frequently and now cost just a few bucks (currently on GMG) unlike some EA crap that remains overexpensive 5 years after it was released? Can't understand how someone can feel no remorse stealing TW games.

Bargeral November 2nd, 2013 19:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirJames (Post 1061224814)
Forgiven, not forgotten…

CD Projekt, the makers of The Witcher 2, are chasing down alleged file-sharers. The company urges those who are caught to pay a settlement fee, or face an even higher fine.



One can't help but wonder if this video would exist if there were any other choice…


I think your going a bit far. Lawsuits are targeted whereas DRM is indiscriminate. Collateral damage and inconvenience are the two arguments against DRM that I most agree with. Also a less tangible "being treated like a criminal". I think your reasoning is conflating anti-DRM with pro-piracy. While we may share some goals, it's important to not accidentally make their goals ours. Someone downloading a game they don't own is still wrong, legally and morally.

khaight November 2nd, 2013 19:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bargeral (Post 1061224865)
Someone downloading a game they don't own is still wrong, legally and morally.

Yep. Theft is theft. I have a problem when companies treat me like a criminal because I'm not one. I have no problem when they treat actual criminals like criminals. That said, they do still face the burden of proof — you don't get to treat someone like a criminal unless you can prove they are one.

SirJames November 2nd, 2013 22:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by khaight (Post 1061224866)
Yep. Theft is theft. I have a problem when companies treat me like a criminal because I'm not one. I have no problem when they treat actual criminals like criminals. That said, they do still face the burden of proof — you don't get to treat someone like a criminal unless you can prove they are one.

The thing about theft is when something is stolen from you you no longer have it. When someone makes a copy there is just another copy. There is no "harm or loss" done to anybody that isn't speculative potential sales loss. eg. "oh, she showed interest by downloading a copy, so obviously that's a lost sale.", This is non-sense.

As the video says, "some people treat it like a trial, some people just can't afford the full price and, ultimately, if these people are treated right they'll want to support the game and buy it one day at a reduced price", or get onboard at the sequel.

As the video says, piracy is just part of the industry. It always has been and there's never an increase in piracy that is unaccompanied by an increase in game sales! Publishers know this, but they don't talk about it to the dumb public. Do you think people don't pirate Call of Duty? Is that why it makes billions?

Fact is, there is no way of measuring the damage that would be done to the industry as a whole if people couldn't pirate games and got burned one too many times buying something they hate, deciding gaming was taking them for a ride and being done with it. Or if children couldn't be hooked early, like smokers.

It's up to you if you want to buy a game or not and you should have every tool available to you to decide, especially the game in question! If you want you could buy the game, play it and return it? Same with any item? That's consumer law; that's your right! Personally, I've got about $300 of games pre-ordered that I know I want, but I'd have no issue trying them out first if I was unsure that I actually wanted them. Be that at a friends house, in a store on a trial system, from a bias demo/trial version, BETA test, etc, etc.

I support games after they've proven themselves to be good. I don't offer my money to find out if a game is good! Fact is, if I'm trying your game out you're one of the few lucky ones that piqued my interest, because most wouldn't even get a second glance, let alone a pirate. In this age of ever higher quality free2play games this couldn't be more true!

It's like the pirates have always said…
"Support the software developers. If you like this game, BUY IT!"

enm November 3rd, 2013 01:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirJames (Post 1061224886)
The thing about theft is when something is stolen from you you no longer have it. When someone makes a copy there is just another copy.

I take it you'd have no problem with identity theft, then. After all, you'd still have your own identity, whereas other people would only have a copy of your identifying information, so no harm done. And what about that book you might have been writing for the past four years… what harm would there be is someone merely copied your manuscripts; you'd still have them, and if people read them and liked them, then surely they'd all purchase your book once you'd published it, right?

I doubt this cat would have let anyone copy his spellbook…
http://tinyurl.com/lzkx5pb

SirJames November 3rd, 2013 02:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by enm (Post 1061224909)
I take it you'd have no problem with identity theft, then. After all, you'd still have your own identity, whereas other people would only have a copy of your identifying information, so no harm done. And what about that book you might have been writing for the past four years… what harm would there be is someone merely copied your manuscripts; you'd still have them, and if people read them and liked them, then surely they'd all purchase your book once you'd published it, right?

I'm not sure if you're trolling or just stupid, but I'll bite…

If I impersonate you I have not made a copy of you. The possibility of harm and loss is almost certain, as it is the ONLY reason to impersonate someone, and not at all speculative… Like a stolen credit card number doesn't make two credit cards. Stealing your work to publish as my own doesn't make two separate works. I feel stupid explaining this. You must be trolling. But I mustn't underestimate the stupidity of my fellow man. Assumptions are the mother of all fuckups, after all… ;)

enm November 3rd, 2013 02:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirJames (Post 1061224913)
I'm not sure if you're trolling or just stupid, but I'll bite…

If I impersonate you I have not made a copy of you. The possibility of harm and loss is almost certain, as it is the ONLY reason to impersonate someone, and not at all speculative… Like a stolen credit card number doesn't make two credit cards.

Identity theft disproves your claim that "The thing about theft is when something is stolen from you you no longer have it". That was the point of the first example. They don't copy you, but they steal something which you don't lose yourself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirJames (Post 1061224913)
Stealing your work to publish as my own doesn't make two separate works. I feel stupid explaining this. You must be trolling. But I mustn't underestimate the stupidity of my fellow man. Assumptions are the mother of all fuckups, after all… ;)

I said copy your work. We live in an age where a manuscript can be copied, whether it's in paper format or digital. Copying something makes two (or more) separate copies of it. I feel stupid explaining this. You must be trolling. But I mustn't underestimate the stupidity of my fellow man. Assumptions are the mother of all fuckups, after all… ;)

SirJames November 3rd, 2013 02:41

@enm
The issue is about harm and loss.
If someone impersonates you, say by using your creditcard to buy something, you lose money. This isn't a speculative loss; it can be clearly measured.

You say "copy" the work, but with what intention? If you mean to simply read it, fine. This is how libraries work. How video rentals work. But if you want to claim it's your own work, this is another matter entirely.

Do you get it now?

edit: Sorry for being rude, but I was fairly certain you were trolling. :)

enm November 3rd, 2013 02:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirJames (Post 1061224916)
@enm
The issue is about harm and loss.
If someone impersonates you, say by using your creditcard to buy something, you lose money. This isn't a speculative loss; it can be clearly measured.

You say "copy" the work, but with what intention? If you mean to simply read it, fine. This is how libraries work. How video rentals work. But if you want to claim it's your own work, this is another matter entirely.

Do you get it now?

So in your world, if George R. R. Martin's computer is hacked and his "Winds of Winter" novel is leaked on the Internet before publication, then those who download it are merely doing the equivalent of going to the library or renting a video? No, the key difference is that libraries and video rental stores don't violate the creators' property rights. And of course he would lose money if that happened; thinking otherwise would be fanciful and naive.

Pirates who become victims of piracy themselves often change their tune, such as this one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirJames (Post 1061224916)
edit: Sorry for being rude, but I was fairly certain you were trolling. :)

I'd be offended, but given the fact that the majority of my posts at RPGWatch are trollish ones, it's a forgivable mistake. ;)

SirJames November 3rd, 2013 03:08

@enm
Once upon a time, many years ago, I downloaded the leaked Half-life 2 files, hacked from Valves internal system. Everyone downloaded the HL2 leak, yeah? All this did was build hype!
►I didn't attempt to sell the leak as a game that I'd made.
►I bought Half-life2 the day it was released.
►Half-life 2 went on to be SUPER successful.

And Valve lived happily ever after. The end.

edit:
Quote:

Pirates who become victims of piracy themselves often change their tune
She didn't put up a pirate copy of her book which made her look like a hypocrite then no one liked her or wanted to support her?

guenthar November 3rd, 2013 09:36

When you are a victim of identity theft your privacy was stolen and that is not something that can be copied. Also if they use your identity to get a credit card they are stealing your money.

If a book, movie, game is leaked early it usually doesn't effect sales in a harmful way since it is unfinished and when this has happened (which has many times) it has built hype and likely increased sales. Everything that has been leaked that I know of has gone on to be successful.

Soulbane November 3rd, 2013 14:29

Am I the only one who considers theft of intellectual property far worse than theft of material things?

I guess it is very difficult to explain how losing ownership and authorship over something you created is a terrible thing to people who are not themselves creators. And not necessarily because of losing money (or not getting potential money), but because of losing creative agency and control over your work.

I do amateur acting (not professional, as in, not for money). Few years back one of our shows got ripped off practically 100% by another amateur company. There's no money involved. Yet it hurt more than anything else that has ever been stolen form me.

When you put effort and creativity into something, and it gets stolen and is used without your consent, is a crime and a lowly thing to do. Same thing goes for pirated games, too, as most devs feel the games are their own creation, and they gave their best to create it. Whether we like a game or not is of no consequence in this matter.

Nobody is entitled to computer games. If you want to check if a game is good enough for you to pay for, check a demo, read reviews you can trust, check out gameplay vids.

guenthar November 3rd, 2013 15:44

What you are describing about your play being ripped off is plagiarism and piracy would be like someone recorded your play and then gave out copies.

Soulbane November 3rd, 2013 20:08

Semantics.

While I know very well what the difference is, losing creative control over your work is the same in both cases. I was trying to give an angle on that.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:32.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch